Light-O-Rama Forums

moving on over to some dumb RGBs for christmas...

weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com

okay so,,,, i have several questions..... 

right now i have a 16 channel controller.... basic kit. this is ran on a 15 amp breaker... i have 2100 LED string lights.

my house.... i have 6.. 7 foot columns on the front of my porch.. my front door in the middle and 1 window on each side of the entry door....... 

i want to buy an RGB dumb controller... i dont think i can tackle a pixel yet....

the 8 channel dumb controller. i want to wrap my columns with the 15 ft ribbons..... but everything else will take multiple strands connected to each other. ive been ordering stuff from WOWlights website. 

why cant i use one channel of dumb RGBs and light up my whole roof line??? i need the other two channels for my roof line and a channel for 7 strings of icicles.

so, 6 columns, roof line (75ft), and icicles (45ft).

thats 8 channels on the Dumb RGB controller...

what all do i need? how are people lighting up their whole roof line with these ribbons if you cant connect them end to end?

this is the layout i wanna replace with RGB....

house on halloween.jpg

Controllers can't do unlimited power meaning you can't plug in as many lights as you want and they work. Controllers are limited on power by port, bank and board, the reason you can't just throw a bunch of strings/strips end to end and turn them on is because you max out the capability and burn things up. Once you reach the limits of the controller you need to power inject and you need to do that correctly or you burn things up. The CMB24D dumb controller has a 4 amp limit on it ports and a 30 amp limit per bank, two strings/strips per port (100 lights) is normally the limit unless you power inject.

Edited by Mr. P

2 hours ago, k6ccc said:

And on dumb RGB, you can't just simply power inject (that would turn all the lights on).

Well technically you can, but you'd have to use an RGB Amplifier.

3 hours ago, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

why cant i use one channel of dumb RGBs and light up my whole roof line??? i need the other two channels for my roof line and a channel for 7 strings of icicles.

so, 6 columns, roof line (75ft), and icicles (45ft).

Are your Icicles Dumb RGB Icicles or regular light strings?  If they are regular light strings, you can't use the DC Controller for these.  If you don't use full white, you should be able run longer lengths.  (Taking maximum Amps into account. Most full 5m Strips use about 3Amps, one per color)  I would suggest connecting the wires somewhere in the middle so you power shorter lengths on each side.  A full 32' length will start to see voltage drop by the end giving you discoloration.  But if you connect the wire in the middle, it's only running 16'.  A few years back I ran a section that was 49' long and connected at 2 points in the middle and it was just fine (I didn't use full white).  Having said all that, why not break your roof line up into smaller sections which will give you more "effect" possibilities.  (something I ended up doing with my 49' side)

_____16'_____Power______16'________Power________16'______  Both powers go to the same output on the controller.

Keep in mind on the DC Controller you are looking at, it says 8 channels, but it's really 24.  The "8 Channels" refers to the number of devices, such as an RGB Strip Light, or RGB Spot.  Each Color needs it's own channel.  So for one RGB Strip if takes 3 channels, R,G,B. 

i would want the dumb RGB icicles... ive already got around 1k in what i have already. i coulld just do the easy thing and buy another basic 16 channel controller so i would have a 32 channel system..... but since i am just starting..... id really rather start on the RGB system.....

could one of yall put together a list for me of the things i would need to keep it under 1000 dollars... id really like to be able to go full white... 

i guess the main focus would me the icicles and my columns..... that will open up 7 channels on my other controller for other things also...

im planning on running this controller off of a 30 amp breaker in my shop. (i know i cant surpass the capacity of the controller.).... after i get some help with this.. and learn it... i should be okay and have a better understanding of it after i get some help with my first order and set up... Im extremely mechanical savy. none of the electrical part. i dont wanna blow $1k (literally) because i messed something up....

sorry to be a bother... i just need a list. and a push... lol ill take the jump if i can get the right support first... 

29 minutes ago, Little_b said:

_____16'_____Power______16'________Power________16'______  Both powers go to the same output on the controller.

Thanks.. this is the kind of stuff i am looking for!

it is majorly addicting... 

Edited by weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com

the only power injection options that i see are for intelligent ones. not dumb ones.... right now i am at an understanding that i need........

6 dumb ribbons.= 6 outputs

6 25ft extensions. 

the 25ft extension runs in the middle to a T......

the T goes to each power supply..

then a T comes out of one power supply to power 2 of the ribbons.

16ft ribbon------power supply                 16ft ribbon---power supply----16ft ribbon...

I_________________T___________________I

is this correct?

at this point, i have 7 of the 8 channels taken up...

56 minutes ago, Little_b said:

Well technically you can, but you'd have to use an RGB Amplifier.

AMPLIFIER?  Aren't Those are for Smart RGB?

Dumb RGB is done by sinking the color leads to ground. and yes, that 4A spec has always confused me since the Plus is fused at 4A. Is each of those 24 PORTS 4A or is that really 1.33A/port (AKA  White) which would invalidate :(the Power inject plan.)?? Also Note the book says 4A without Heat sinks, 8A with: 2 problems: 1:NO off the shelf heat sink will FIT side by side on the TO220 tabs and But as you pointed out: You will MAX OUT the BANK bus (30A) before that is reached (12*8A)

100 bullet node 12V strings or up to 4 10W floods. per RGB port

@weigh2fast

Distance is your enemy at 12V. 1 controller to rule them all is a 120/240V thing for a canvas as large as you have is a plan for disaster (performance wise).

KISS (Keep it Short n Sweet ) 18Ga wire drops quit a bit of voltage on longer runs TO your lights (which also have wire losses)

20 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

1 controller to rule them all is a 120/240V thing for a canvas as large as you have is a plan for disaster (performance wise).

you're saying the controller itself cant handle 9 ribbons? on 120v?

and im just going to do standard icicles on my 16 channel controller and have ribbons above it

2 minutes ago, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

you're saying the controller itself cant handle 9 ribbons? on 120v?

No, the reverse 120V controllers don't mind long cords.  12V one do  (or you need massive sized conductors to go the distance)

I ran 7 50 node 12V RGB BULLET strings from my CMB24 on my ridge line last year

RIBBONS: WRAP: + NO. Ribbons are fragile  Bullets or 12V rope lights for any thing that gets flexed or handled

thanks to everyone.... anyone know where i can get some dependable RGB rope lights for my columns?

• The topic was locked