Light-O-Rama Forums

Importing Superstar Sequence

Grinch

Is there a change in the way you import a purchased Super Star sequence in 5.3.8 LOR sequencer?  If you have the demo version of Superstar and purchase a pre-made SuperStar sequence and in the sequencer select the entire motion effect row then Shift S and launch Superstar, then open the purchased Superstar sequence, and then close the file

It goes back to the LOR sequencer and says No data received from Superstar.   This use to work??

This is a bug that was inadvertently introduced in the 5.3.8 release. It happened as a result of the Sequencer and SuperStar changing how the exchange of data is handled in order to fix a bug that happened when superstar returned very large sequences.

The fix is not in the 5.3.10 release but it will be fixed in the next release. 

Well, I just did a test using 5.3.10 using a purchased sequence and the SuperStar demo version and it did work. In other words, superstar did successfully send the sequence to the Sequencer and it did play to the Sequencer Playback screen.

So it looks like the fix did get into the 5.3.10 release.

Correct, the sequences that are purchased from www.superstarlights.com are special files that will export with any license level including the free demo version.

But there is a bug in 5.3.8 that makes it so the purchased sequences will not export with the demo version.

And I didn't think the fix got into 5.3.10 but I just retested using a 5.3.10 installation, Pro license but free demo version of superstar, using a purchased sequence and it did export into the Sequencer and the Sequencer did play the sequence to the Sequencer Playback screen.

If there is someone else out there with 5.3.10 and the free demo version of superstar, and you have a sequence purchased from www.superstarlights.com please test it and tell me what you find.

5 minutes ago, BrianBruderer said:

Correct, the sequences that are purchased from www.superstarlights.com are special files that will export with any license level including the free demo version.

Thanks Brian, I did not know that, I always thought you had to have a license for any SS sequence.

1 hour ago, BrianBruderer said:

But there is a bug in 5.3.8 that makes it so the purchased sequences will not export with the demo version.

And I didn't think the fix got into 5.3.10 but I just retested using a 5.3.10 installation, Pro license but free demo version of superstar, using a purchased sequence and it did export into the Sequencer and the Sequencer did play the sequence to the Sequencer Playback screen.

If there is someone else out there with 5.3.10 and the free demo version of superstar, and you have a sequence purchased from www.superstarlights.com please test it and tell me what you find.

So will this work on any purchased sequence or just on the sequences from you?

Only the sequences purchased from www.superstarlights.com

However, the other vendors have ways of giving you the sequence in a way that does not require a superstar license. For example, they can give you the exported .lms file.

27 minutes ago, Grinch said:

So will this work on any purchased sequence or just on the sequences from you?

I know who you are Grinch and I know you have a SS license.

I am still waiting on the one sequence from you.  😁

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

I know who you are Grinch and I know you have a SS license.

I am still waiting on the one sequence from you.  😁

Yes I have a license and yes I sell sequences.   I am an approved vendor on the  Light O Rama list which you can verify me as www.SeasonalSequences.com but  there are a lot of people that don’t have the ability or time to create some of the sequences.  S5 integration was to eliminate the “out of memory“ errors that multiple people get when they copy large amounts of data and paste into their existing sequences and to make the software more user friendly.

21 minutes ago, Grinch said:

Yes I have a license and yes I sell sequences.   I am an approved vendor on the  Light O Rama list which you can verify me as www.SeasonalSequences.com but  there are a lot of people that don’t have the ability or time to create some of the sequences.  S5 integration was to eliminate the “out of memory“ errors that multiple people get when they copy large amounts of data and paste into their existing sequences and to make the software more user friendly.

Huh? What was all that about?

11 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Huh? What was all that about?

Information overload- 

SS has some great sequences. I have purchased several in the past.

JR

I personally had great difficulty with S4 copying my superstar sequences into my main sequence.  Even tried a single universe at a time and then got an error about memory.  Was advised by LOR staff after many phone calls I had to upgrade to S5 to get rid if the error and now its back.  I dont understand why developers dont take into account that there are people always pushing the data limits.  I have 2 pixel trees I run DMX and 39 houses I run LOR that have 32 channels each.   Seems ludicrous that I should be getting errors.  

5 minutes ago, debtoews said:

I personally had great difficulty with S4 copying my superstar sequences into my main sequence.  Even tried a single universe at a time and then got an error about memory.  Was advised by LOR staff after many phone calls I had to upgrade to S5 to get rid if the error and now its back.  I dont understand why developers dont take into account that there are people always pushing the data limits.  I have 2 pixel trees I run DMX and 39 houses I run LOR that have 32 channels each.   Seems ludicrous that I should be getting errors.  

Whenever I get these memory error messages I go back to SS and I erase everything from the 1/2 second mark to the beginning. I also do the same thing to the end.

Sometimes data is written to close (I am just basing this off my experience and I am not a developer) to the beginning or the end and for whatever reason it gives SE a hard time. I spent hours trying to fis this the first time it happened. I spent a lot of time on the phone with Brian and he discovered it. For whatever reason SE is letting this slip through causing problems on down the road.

Ever since I have done this the errors have gotten less. 

They told me that about S5 when I was on 4.3.18. Id still have it if Win update didn't screw that up.

Hope this will help a little

JR

JR thanks for the work around idea. 

It would seem that if you have identified the problem and what causes the problem, that LOR would be able to capture the problem and correct it so that everyone doesn't  have to erase parts of the sequence to make it work MOST of the time.

It was working correctly in 5.6 but that changed for 5.8 when it seems they removed the code to make the transfer easy for all purchased sequences rather then just from Superstar purchased sequences.  I hope they don't take the same 

approach and make it harder for people to use other peoples sequences that are not from LOR store. 

In competitors software they are trying tp make it easier for everyone by transferring all the universe information right to the pixel controllers to make it easier for people to setup and get their shows running, I guess they have a different approach.

• Like 1

I will post this again, to make sure it is clear:

Only the sequences purchased from www.superstarlights.com will export with any license level including the free demo version.

However, the other vendors have ways of giving you the sequence in a way that does not require a superstar license. For example, they can give you the exported .lms file.

Again, the sequences that are purchased from www.superstarlights.com are special files that will export with any license level including the free demo version.

But there is a bug in 5.3.8 that makes it so the purchased sequences will not export with the demo version. No code was removed from superstar. The bug was accidentally introduced in the Sequencer. He went to a lot of work to fix a bug where very large sequences from superstar would cause an out of memory error in the Sequencer. To fix the bug, it was required to put the superstar data in a separate file instead of embedding it in the SuperStarResponse file. This required some rework of how everything worked and we were so focused on making sure the typical case still worked that I forgot to test this special case.

But the bug is fixed in 5.3.10. I tested it personally on my wife's computer using a 5.3.10 installation. Also, I have worked with two customers that have 5.3.10 and do not have a superstar license and they are able to export sequences purchased from www.superstarlights.com