Light-O-Rama Forums

PVC bulb holder/alignment question

Kapkirk

Hey gang, question for us decorators who use PVC to install align C6 bulbs.

I use 3/4" PVC schedule 40 drilled about every 4 inch's to mount and align C6 LED  christmas lights on the roof. I installed some lights on my gutters today C9 blue on top of cool white icicles and really liked the effect. So of course I started thinking of a change to my ridge/roof lights that are already cool white C6 bulbs. I am thinking of drilling and adding C6 blue lights in between the cool white C6 bulbs.

The experience needed question is do you think I will effect the alignment or strength of the pvc by drilling another hole in the PVC. The existing holes are 35/64" every 4 inch's, and if I add the blue I would have same size hole every 2 inch's. I could experiment and see but I don't have enough blue color C6 to make the change with out ordering really quick. I am hoping one of you has done this and can give me some advice tonight, if affirmative I will call Holiday Light Express in the AM and get me some strings on the quick ship truck.

Appreciate your time and help if you can.

Keith

Should not be a problem.  For the second build of my pixel tree, I took 3/4 inch schedule 40 PVC that was split in half on a table saw and drilled every 2.5 inches.  I had square node pixels so the holes were about a half inch (I don't remember the exact size).  First photo is a front view showing the bottom of a strip and the bottom 7 pixels.  At the bottom of each strip is a turnbuckle that allows tightening the strip.

2014_Bottom_of_strip-detail_1.jpg

The next photo is a closer side view.

2014_Bottom_of_strip-mounting_detail_1.j

The last photo is a closeup front view that shows a location where there is a splice in the PVC.  The splice was done as a standard PVC coupler that was installed before the pipe was split.  As you can see, a pixel was mounted right at the splice point.  None of the twelve splices failed after years of service despite being pulled with the turnbuckles.

2014_Bottom_of_strip-splice_detail.jpg

Jim

Thanks for the reply and experienced thoughts, I was out in the garage experimenting, I think it will be a cool effect so I will get on the phone in morning, now I just have to hope I can drill 140 feet of PVC in a couple days, will probably have to remove the existing C6 and wiring but am looking to see if I can do it safely without. Just don't want to nick existing wiring. My son is coming over in AM to help install singing tree's on the roof and will see if he can make another day available to put up the pvc lights. The better half does not like me on the roof but thinks he bounces better being younger lol.

Thanks, Keith

2 hours ago, Kapkirk said:

Jim

Thanks for the reply and experienced thoughts, I was out in the garage experimenting, I think it will be a cool effect so I will get on the phone in morning, now I just have to hope I can drill 140 feet of PVC in a couple days, will probably have to remove the existing C6 and wiring but am looking to see if I can do it safely without. Just don't want to nick existing wiring. My son is coming over in AM to help install singing tree's on the roof and will see if he can make another day available to put up the pvc lights. The better half does not like me on the roof but thinks he bounces better being younger lol.

Thanks, Keith

Practice on 1 before you buy a lot of pvc. I purchased the hd grey SCh80. I also had purchased a template from a member who mfg'd them a few years ago and attempted to make the holes for my nodes 2" apart.

What I found is the pvc appears to flex as it is drilled. Even with 2 dowels that protrude in to the drilled holes as you go along. I felt confident it was looking until I looked. The holes started out straight for about 2-3 '. Then they started drifting off almost tp 180 deg twist.

I tried several times and wasted all pvc conduit. I thought about cutting the pvc to 4; lengths but didn't have the time. Contractor was coming to install lights in a few days. 

I decided to use my new style 2811 50/50's with a screw hole on each end. I predrilled holes, mounted an entire 10' section. Hung that on the wall and used that as my spacing template.

I tried both a drill press and just a hh drill, virtually no difference.

Will try to find my pics tomorrow so you can see what I am talking about.

JR

6 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Practice on 1 before you buy a lot of pvc. I purchased the hd grey SCh80. I also had purchased a template from a member who mfg'd them a few years ago and attempted to make the holes for my nodes 2" apart.

What I found is the pvc appears to flex as it is drilled. Even with 2 dowels that protrude in to the drilled holes as you go along. I felt confident it was looking until I looked. The holes started out straight for about 2-3 '. Then they started drifting off almost tp 180 deg twist.

Good point.  In my case, I split the PVC first and then drilled the holes, so that was not an issue.  The saw cut edge was flat and that is what sat on the work table of the drill press.

JR & Jim

Thanks for that thought, but these are already drilled, I will just be adding a hole between every existing hole, and I remember when we drilled all these, I was using a jig I purchased from  a forum member here, it wanted to do exactly what you said, I compensated by putting pressure in direction of warp and minimized it.

I drilled seems like a thousand feet of that pvc doing the lights for 7 house roofs of 3/4" pvc and 4 house windows of 1/2 pvc, now that 1/2 inch pvc was the material that really tried to wander/warp. Appreciate the help and thoughts, I think I am going to get the strings on order and practice a little after we get the singing trees up on my neighbors roof this morning and hang a few icicles, 4 weeks go quick decorating 12 houses.

Keith

5 minutes ago, Kapkirk said:

JR & Jim

Thanks for that thought, but these are already drilled, I will just be adding a hole between every existing hole, and I remember when we drilled all these, I was using a jig I purchased from  a forum member here, it wanted to do exactly what you said, I compensated by putting pressure in direction of warp and minimized it.

I drilled seems like a thousand feet of that pvc doing the lights for 7 house roofs of 3/4" pvc and 4 house windows of 1/2 pvc, now that 1/2 inch pvc was the material that really tried to wander/warp. Appreciate the help and thoughts, I think I am going to get the strings on order and practice a little after we get the singing trees up on my neighbors roof this morning and hang a few icicles, 4 weeks go quick decorating 12 houses.

Keith

Mine was 1/2” because I use the HC clips to hold them up.

At least I know it wasn’t me.

Sounds like we got the same jig. 

JR

No it wasn't you lol, my friend and I were drilling the 1/2" for all the windows first and ruined a couple pieces before were able to complete one without the wandering and then the 3/4" for the roofs wasn't as bad, more material I guess. Yes that jig made the job go quickly and the holes were perfect for spacing, I don't think we could have done as good a job without it.

Thought I was done with that jig last year but every year seems like we are using it for a new project or house.

Keith

1 hour ago, Kapkirk said:

No it wasn't you lol, my friend and I were drilling the 1/2" for all the windows first and ruined a couple pieces before were able to complete one without the wandering and then the 3/4" for the roofs wasn't as bad, more material I guess. Yes that jig made the job go quickly and the holes were perfect for spacing, I don't think we could have done as good a job without it.

Thought I was done with that jig last year but every year seems like we are using it for a new project or house.

Keith

Mines a paperweight. There were a few times I have been tempted to use it for the materials on my side by sides, mounting stuff. To me its worthless.

JR

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update to my question. I used my jig and drilled an additional hole between every hole that was already there and it worked great, now i have a hole about every 2 inch's and I added the blue C6 bulbs between the white ones. Makes for a cool effect, the wife was very impressed and I liked it too. So if anyone was thinking of the same "go for it, it works".

Now I just need to go into every sequence and change it up for all blue, or all white, or all both. Thanks for your help guys, I am close to being ready, only have to hang my 135 strings of lights on my 24 foot mega tree and install 8 other 10-12 foot trees in the neighbor hood and then power and test. Sighhhhhhhhh, dang I am tired.

Keith

• Like 1