Light-O-Rama Forums

matrix design question

LakeshoreDisplay

Bought a sequence from WOWlights, a 12X50 matrix based on 4X4 spacing. Found it ended up being 16' long or 3 feet longer then the wall I had intended to hang in on.

So how will the same matrix look if I go with 2X2 spacing reducing it to 8'?

The matrix Board I an using is 8X4 so I could string 24 rows  instead of the 12.  Would this allow me to play a 12 string or a 24 string matrix  on same display?

Thoughts?

using rbg pixels in the matrix, what they call the dmx sequence

Edited by LakeshoreDisplay

From the simplistic standpoint, when you push the pixels closer to one another, your resolution will go up.  Pixels spaced 4" apart is too far in my opinion.  Most of the matrix I've seen are 2" apart and look really good from about 20' foot or further to the road. 

As far as playing either a 12 or 24 string.  You will be able to play a 1 string matrix on there if you wanted. haha  Not much of a matrix though.  I have matrix sequences that are not using all 24 of my strings but still looks good.  So yes, you can play a sequence up to the max number of strings you have in the matrix.

I don't think you can shorten the DMX sequence because of the way the layout of the strips in the sequence..   They have 3 strips connected in one long string of 150 pixels zigzagging every 50 pixels . 12 strips use 4 universes of 150 pixels if you shorten the strings the sequence won't play right . I have 4 of the wow sequences working on a 12 / 50 DMX layout . Look at the layout for the screen on the Wow website. Now if you where using LOR ccr's you could shorten the screen size in Superstar .

• The topic was locked