Light-O-Rama Forums

Where to start

dsrunte

We currently have a standard display with 2 large inflatables, maybe 15 wrapped tree trunks, C7s on the roof, 2 driveway arches, and 6 wire sculptures.  I am terrible with technology but love Christmas lights.  Was considering waiting on the spring sale but then debating whether to just go ahead and purchase now in the hopes that by next Christmas we could get a LOR display working.  I am totally confused about how to program it without being able to see the set-up of the display, which is why I was debating on getting it this year.  We don't have any RGB lights or mega trees, but I would love to add in years to come.  Trying to figure out what to buy so that it can grow with us and whether to buy it now or wait until a sale.  Thanks!!

If you are talking about sequencing lights to a song and all it entails i would recommend waiting on the spring sale for purchase of any controllers etc. This will give you time to read a lot and ask questions. Beginning now for this year is really not feasible in my opinion. You could download the software for free now and start setting up and sequencing. Without some expert help you would be behind this late.

Today we began setting up our Christmas display and plan on testing the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Decorating 10 houses and sequencing for only 2 is a lot of time consuming work. I believe most LOR people have began or are fixing to start setup. And we have already finished our sequencing for our shows and this setup time doesn't include sequencing. I don't believe you could begin this late and not go nuts trying to put on a sequenced show.

But don't stop, start now for next years show and read up and ask questions, for the next month answers could come a little slower than normal as we will be consumed setting up.

I'm still too much of a newbie (sort of) to answer most of your questions, but at the very least, you should spend this season looking at what you have and thinking about what you actually want to control.  At the most basic level the AC controllers (the ones for "regular" lights) are just turning the power on and off.  (Yes, they also fade, sparkle, etc - but ultimately all that is happening is that the power is being turned up/down/on/off)  Think about which items you want to be able to turn on/off independently. 

Do you want each wrapped tree to be able to do that? If yes, then you will need a channel for each.  The basic 16 channel controller will have only 1 channel left.  (This is assuming that each tree is powered with a single extension cord).  Are your C7's on the roof just 1 straight line or do you have separate sections you would want to control separately?  Anything that uses so much power that you have to have separate extension cords, will also need separate channels.  Do your arches have a single cord turning them on or do you have them in sections with multiple cords?  Do you want the wire sculptures to turn on/off?  You almost certainly don't want the inflatables to turn on and off - keep them off the LOR system completely.  If you don't leave them up all the time, a basic timer works well. 

Once you know how many channels you need (how many things to turn on/off independently) you will have a much better idea what you need to get to control it.  My guess is that you could get started with 2 of the 16 channel AC controllers.

In the future, if you want to expand the show with RGB pixels or more regular lights, you just keep adding more controllers.  You don't have to choose between pixels and standard lights - you just need the right controllers for each and the software works with both.  We have had a standard show for years. but we are adding pixels for the first time this year.  We have added 2 pixel trees that were up and running for Halloween.  My husband is so excited about that, he is now adding a bunch more to our gazebo for the Christmas display.

1 hour ago, dsrunte said:

We currently have a standard display with 2 large inflatables, maybe 15 wrapped tree trunks, C7s on the roof, 2 driveway arches, and 6 wire sculptures.  I am terrible with technology but love Christmas lights.  Was considering waiting on the spring sale but then debating whether to just go ahead and purchase now in the hopes that by next Christmas we could get a LOR display working.  I am totally confused about how to program it without being able to see the set-up of the display, which is why I was debating on getting it this year.  We don't have any RGB lights or mega trees, but I would love to add in years to come.  Trying to figure out what to buy so that it can grow with us and whether to buy it now or wait until a sale.  Thanks!!

I've been running a show for a few years on just the simple string lights. They are a lot of fun and remind me of Christmas when I was a kid and my Dad would put up a cut-out plywood Santa's Workshop and light the house every year. You could do wonderful things to your house with just what you've described and probably 2 of the CTB16 controllers, your computer and some speakers (maybe an amp and some speakers)

http://store.lightorama.com/rese16chstpa.html

http://store.lightorama.com/reseadct.html

If you want to start with the basic version of the software (which comes with the first link) you can run both controllers. Sequence 4-5 songs between now and Thanksgiving, and sequence a few every couple of days and add them in if you want more this year. You sound like you are familiar with the lights you have now, just imagine how you want them to light up, flicker, dim up or down into your favorite Christmas songs and get started. Download the software trial now (or purchase and download) and when the light controllers show up it doesn't take much to plug them in. There are a lot of people on here who will answer questions (though maybe some delays as we will be outside setting our shows up), but if you want just a few songs you can still do it. My daughter is doing their first show this year and it only has 8 songs.