Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequences tied to Music Frequency??

Ckathman

Hello Everyone,

I am curious if anyone knows of a capability for either LOR Software or third party software that can "read" all of the frequencies of a given song and help with sequencing.

Specifically, in my head, I envision having groups of lights tied together by the frequency of the music. For example, for the low pass bass (drums) I'll have one group of lights which flash to the beat of the drums. In another grouping, I'll have lights matching the mid range of a song (i.e. rhythm guitar) and finally, another grouping for the higher frequency (lead guitar).

My desired end state is to be able to have multiple sequences all tied to the greatest rock group of all time... Metallica!

In a perfect world, I would have 5 lights all tied to the Drums. One for the Base, one for the snare, one high hat, etc.. and the lights would all be sequenced to the drum track.

Is any of this actually possible?

Oh, and lastly, aside from LOR and WOWlights, is there any other sites where I can purchase sequenced music? Or really, any place that I can request/purchase custom sequences?

CK

Edited by Ckathman

2 hours ago, Ckathman said:

Hello Everyone,

I am curious is anyone knows of a capability for either LOR Software or third party software that can "read" all of the frequencies of a given song and help with sequencing.

Specifically, in my head, I envision having groups of lights tied together by the frequency of the music. For example, for the low pass bass (drums) I'll have one group of lights which flash to the beat of the drums. In another grouping, I'll have lights matching the mid range of a song (i.e. rhythm guitar) and finally, another grouping for the higher frequency (lead guitar).

My desired end state is to be able to have multiple sequences all tied to the greatest rock group of all time... Metallica!

In a perfect world, I would have 5 lights all tied to the Drums. One for the Base, one for the snare, one hit hat, etc.. and the lights would all be sequenced to the drum track.

Is any of this actually possible?

Oh, and lastly, aside from LOR and WOWlights, is there any other sites where I can purchase sequenced music? Or really, any place that I can request/purchase custom sequences?

CK

Go to Phonics Mind. They have different prices but what you do is drag an MP3 file to their page and it will separate it into 4 values

Karaoke - only (no vocals)

Vocals Only

and a couple other beat tracks.

James Morris has been using it , however he just purchased a software program for $100 that does the same thing.

He will chime in on this.

SuperStar give you some abilities but you have to have some knowledge of the different levels or just test. The above takes all of the guess work out, once you have that you can run the instant sequencer/ auto faces in SS and look like a pro, with minor tweaking.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Thanks 1

I do this the hard way I guess since I don't have SS (yet). In Sequence Editor (v4) I create multiple layers. I usually start with a freeform beat layer and use the tapper wizard which is usually the best for getting the beat in v4 (at least to me). The auto-beat always seems to go off the rails somewhere. The I create a new freeform layer from that called voices, drums, horns, etc... depending on what I want to focus on. Lots of time with headphones on, speed slowed down and rewinding to hit something exactly the way I want it. Then create the next freeform layer until I have what I want. Some songs I name the layers after the props I want to focus on, just depends on what I envision the lights to do within the song. I also don't have any faces, so there's that... I will be interested to hear how the new software works. Pulling voices only out might be nice and make it easier to hear soft voices over loud music.

1 minute ago, MichRX7 said:

I do this the hard way I guess since I don't have SS (yet). In Sequence Editor (v4) I create multiple layers. I usually start with a freeform beat layer and use the tapper wizard which is usually the best for getting the beat in v4 (at least to me). The auto-beat always seems to go off the rails somewhere. The I create a new freeform layer from that called voices, drums, horns, etc... depending on what I want to focus on. Lots of time with headphones on, speed slowed down and rewinding to hit something exactly the way I want it. Then create the next freeform layer until I have what I want. Some songs I name the layers after the props I want to focus on, just depends on what I envision the lights to do within the song. I also don't have any faces, so there's that... I will be interested to hear how the new software works. Pulling voices only out might be nice and make it easier to hear soft voices over loud music.

Headphone is how I have been doing it as well.

However with the inevitable loss of my hearing I am being exposed to new ideas. For me the headset will be something I wont be able to use in the near future. 

JR

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone, original poster here...

So, I think I figured out a possible solution and have a finished product that I wish to share with everyone for feedback.

Next question is,  how can I share my sequnce for everyone to see.

Right now, I am strictly working in S5 and don’t have it associated with any actual light strings.

How can I share the Preview with everyone?

What I ended up doing was creating 3 groups. 1 group for Drums, 1 group for the Bass Guitar, and 1 group for the Lead/Rhythm Guitar.

I mapped each instrument as best as I could by listening closely and using the Wave feature in S5

i found the Beat wizard and Tapper Wizard were hit and miss and it required many fine tuning to the timings.

• The topic was locked