Light-O-Rama Forums

I found some cheap null pixels

sresener

I located some inexpensive null pixels. I just stumbled across them by accident as even the search engine does not find them.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000286992322.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.d34e4c4dKu0QjN

12 minutes ago, sresener said:

I located some inexpensive null pixels. I just stumbled across them by accident as even the search engine does not find them.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000286992322.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.d34e4c4dKu0QjN

Im not sure what controllers you have but a word of advise for anyone who may read this.

Last I knew "null pixels" will not work with the pixie series controllers. I purchased some with beta testing pixie16 and they did not work.

JR

Last year I made my own null pixels simply using one square led. And those worked great. 

This option just seams like a time saver when null pixels are needed. 

I ordered 20 of these to try (and have not received them), so far all the seller confirmed is the ic on them is compatible with ws2811 leds. 

I am assuming these are just simple ic with no led but If your interested Ill tell how well they work with my lor controller. 

6 minutes ago, sresener said:

Last year I made my own null pixels simply using one square led. And those worked great. 

This option just seams like a time saver when null pixels are needed. 

I ordered 20 of these to try (and have not received them), so far all the seller confirmed is the ic on them is compatible with ws2811 leds. 

I am assuming these are just simple ic with no led but If your interested Ill tell how well they work with my lor controller. 

Which controller?

JR

Once I get them Ill post how they work.

This is my second season and all I know is null pixels and power injection fixed most of  my issues :)

except certain strings that did not like cold weather. :(

14 minutes ago, sresener said:

Once I get them Ill post how they work.

This is my second season and all I know is null pixels and power injection fixed most of  my issues :)

except certain strings that did not like cold weather. :(

They work, just not on certain controllers.

JR

I look at it this way, if you have to use null pixels with today's controllers then your runs are way too long. I can understand some of the older controllers which were limited to 15-20 feet but today's controller can reach out 75'+ and if you have to go that far then plan you network a little better and use smaller controllers.

Edited by Mr. P
  • Like 1

I'm with you Mr P been doing shows for 12 years never used a null pixel several smaller controllers are better then one giant one .

9 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

several smaller controllers are better then one giant one .

This.  And it's what we recommend too.

With pixel controllers coming way down in price (especially ones like our Pixie controllers), it makes more sense to de-centralize.  Yes, you may end up spending a little more when you factor in quality power supplies, but the benefits far outweigh that.  

Now that is not to say that giant controllers don't have their use.  For example, a large pixel tree can consume 16 ports of a pixel controller without a sweat.  That is what I would run there, not 8 * 2 ports.  But if I'm putting pixels on a couple of bushes [or anything with some distance between them], a 2 port pixel controller goes there.  

Plan and use the right size for the job :)