Light-O-Rama Forums

Digital Radio's

Mr. P

I had a big turnout for the Halloween show last night, many viewers in costume. Lots of cars and lots of people standing around so I decided to mingle without them knowing who I was so I could get some good feedback and list to the comments. I was standing between two cars which both had the radio's on and I noticed that one car was dead on and in sync but a brand new Toyota was about a second behind. I guess with all this new technology in the radios there must be a processing lag in the newer cars. Out of all the cars out there this one was the only one with lag.

One other thing, I had a viewer drive up in his homemade Ghostbusters vehicle and people were taking pics, very cool.

Edited by Mr. P
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

I had a big turnout for the Halloween show last night, many viewers in costume. Lots of cars and lots of people standing around so I decided to mingle without them knowing who I was so I could get some good feedback and list to the comments. I was standing between two cars which both had the radio's on and I noticed that one car was dead on and in sync but a brand new Toyota was about a second behind. I guess with all this new technology in the radios there must be a processing lag in the newer cars. Out of all the cars out there this one was the only one with lag.

One other thing, I had a viewer drive up in his homemade Ghostbusters vehicle and people were taking pics, very cool.

Awesome!

15 minutes ago, MichRX7 said:

Awesome!

25 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Yes, I noticed this with my new Tundra. My face sequenced lagged. However my golf cart and handheld radios were spot on.

Technology

Congrats my friend on the turnout, that sounds like a blast, esp with the GB car.

I cant get to the street without risking my life so I have to go down the driveway. Navigating the woods here at night could cost me.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

I wonder if it is due to digital radios that have to convert the analog to digital. There is probably no lag on digital HD over the air radio in the new car since it is already digital. I used to see this a lot when TV was converting over. If you had a cable box that was digital on the same channel as an over the air analog version of the same channel there would be a slight lag in the picture and video on the cable box.  

1 minute ago, tlogan said:

I wonder if it is due to digital radios that have to convert the analog to digital. There is probably no lag on digital HD over the air radio in the new car since it is already digital. I used to see this a lot when TV was converting over. If you had a cable box that was digital on the same channel as an over the air analog version of the same channel there would be a slight lag in the picture and video on the cable box.  

I don't know but it cost me some time. I pulled in to the driveway and as usual watched the song. Was like wth and went in and checked the sequence. Faces looked spot on. Took golf cart out to see and spot on. Backed truck down driveway and lag.

Immediately texted the gang and 3 weeks later reading it here.

Figures pay $60K for a brand new truck, that sucked. but to have audio lag, even more suckage, Not to mention the navigation system cant get me across the street correctly. My old Tundra never had a single issue with 300K on it. LOL

JR

5 minutes ago, tlogan said:

I bet it is due to a error correction buffer.  Go into any TV store and listen to the sets  (all must have audio playing. They avoid that for a reason (and it is not, that the noise. the different brands seem to have slight different delays. The brands do delay the picture as well, since it is the same digital stream.)

55 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

I bet it is due to a error correction buffer.  Go into any TV store and listen to the sets  (all must have audio playing. They avoid that for a reason (and it is not, that the noise. the different brands seem to have slight different delays. The brands do delay the picture as well, since it is the same digital stream.)

Yeah, but with most TV's you have a "game mode" setting that removes the audio lag. (Yes, I'm old and still play Xbox1. Must be why my props aren't done yet. Too much Rock Band and Forza Horizon with the kids/grandkids.

I have not noticed audio lag in any of the vehicles I've heard in my driveway. I'll have to surprise some stranger that pulls in with a Yo to see if it does. That ought to be fun.

I have the Signstek ST-7C that I bought off Amazon. It really kicks out the signal on just the little extension antenna it has on it. My only issue with it is that you have to turn it on/off at the little push in switch. I wish it had an on switch so I could plug it into the timer and have it kick on/off automatically. Sure, I could cut it open and probably change it. But I'm sure I'd ruin it.

Edited by MichRX7

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

There is also the lag in the time sounds take to reach your ears. If you're in a big box store and all the TVs are playing the same video with the sound up, if you stand at one end of the line of TVs the sound from the closest one reaches your ear first and then a slight delay from the further ones creates sort of echo and if you can see the video from the furthest away sets, you can see the lag. You can discern sound differences as little as .001 second, which is why you can tell which direction sound is coming from. That's also one of the reasons why they put the speaker in your car at the drive in. Well, that and how loud it would have to be. And you would have to leave the windows down and they wouldn't get all steamy, so you couldn't...well...you know.

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

I don't know but it cost me some time. I pulled in to the driveway and as usual watched the song. Was like wth and went in and checked the sequence. Faces looked spot on. Took golf cart out to see and spot on. Backed truck down driveway and lag.

Immediately texted the gang and 3 weeks later reading it here.

Figures pay $60K for a brand new truck, that sucked. but to have audio lag, even more suckage, Not to mention the navigation system cant get me across the street correctly. My old Tundra never had a single issue with 300K on it. LOL

JR

Don't get me started on GPS. I used to work with a guy that worked for Metro (in Washington, DC) back in the late 80s when they were setting up a call line for how to get from one place to another using Metro transit. He said that the way they did, it you could only EVER go in the direction you were headed. So, if you wanted to go north, it would tell that you take the train,  walk 1 block north, and then wait an hour for the bus heading in your direction. What it didn't tell you is that if you walked two blocks SOUTH you could get the next bus in 15 minutes and then walk a block west to get to the same spot in half the time. I've had GPS take me all over the place, so I never trust it.

M

1 hour ago, tlogan said:

Don't get me started on GPS. I used to work with a guy that worked for Metro (in Washington, DC) back in the late 80s when they were setting up a call line for how to get from one place to another using Metro transit. He said that the way they did, it you could only EVER go in the direction you were headed. So, if you wanted to go north, it would tell that you take the train,  walk 1 block north, and then wait an hour for the bus heading in your direction. What it didn't tell you is that if you walked two blocks SOUTH you could get the next bus in 15 minutes and then walk a block west to get to the same spot in half the time. I've had GPS take me all over the place, so I never trust it.

My first experience (recent) with a bad GPS was in my brother n laws new 2018 Toyota Sienna on the way to Dallas we didn’t need it.

From hotel to dry cleaners we needed it. Never been to the cleaners and found them closest to the hotel while enroute to Dallas.

It was 1 mile from the hotel.

The GPS has us getting on the interstate and as I was setting at the light we saw the cleaners.

It was going to take us a route 17 miles to get 1 mile.

Anyone that has been in Dallas and know how the place is set up, it is a life or death incident to go from the far left lane through 8 lanes in one exit.

When I got my 2019 Tundra I figured wrong to figure Toyota had this gremlin fixed. 

Now Marines and Soldiers have GPS, we had compasses and beans for pace counters.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Haha 1

Mine was in Washington DC taking my oldest son to see the place where nothing gets done. The whole time around the beltway it kept telling us to get into the local lanes and then back onto the beltway, then back onto the local lane, then back onto the beltway. Lucky I had a triptik as well and just shut the dumb thing off.

• Like 1

Well, at least you weren't downtown in D.C. With the diagonal streets (the ones named for States) and the one way N/S and E/W streets, if you try the three right =  a left you can easily wind up three blocks away from where you thought you should be. Not that I learned that the hard way or anything.

2 minutes ago, tlogan said:

Well, at least you weren't downtown in D.C. With the diagonal streets (the ones named for States) and the one way N/S and E/W streets, if you try the three right =  a left you can easily wind up three blocks away from where you thought you should be. Not that I learned that the hard way or anything.

I dunno, mine involves a long story about an Airstream trailer I picked up the day before, leaking propane lamp, Easter morning/middle of the night, no heat, freezing temps, wife, two babies, Bubble Yum and duct-tape (for the propane line, not the wife.)

2 minutes ago, tlogan said:

That was YOU?!??! I was going to ask if you needed help but, you know, I'm a Bazooka guy.

Yeah, I saw you 19 years ago sitting in your truck reading the comic that came with your gum at 3:30am.

Edited by MichRX7

Yeah and it was up to a nIckel to buy it, too. Used to be a penny. You tell that to young kids today and they won't believe you.

7 minutes ago, tlogan said:

Yeah and it was up to a nIckel to buy it, too. Used to be a penny. You tell that to young kids today and they won't believe you.

Those trading cards we used to throw knives at would be worth a fortune today.

Comics and Mad magazine.

JR

43 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Those trading cards we used to throw knives at would be worth a fortune today.

Comics and Mad magazine.

JR

We used to use clothes pins and attach them to our bike wheels. How many $1,000s in rookie cards did we destroy?  Those were the first to go since we had no idea who they were. And we NEVER seemed to get any of the local team players. And then if we DID, EVERYONE had the same one so you couldn't trade the three that you DID have. 

Mad Magazine. The gateway to National Lampoon later on.

Edited by tlogan

I just bought a new Buick Regal this year and it has about a 1/4 second audio delay in the "infotainment" system.  Compared it with a portable radio in the car.  Makes all the effort of getting everything perfectly in sync kind of worthless.  I did experience this a few years back with a friends new Toyota.  But yet other friends with new cars and digital tuners do not have a time issue.  If this becomes common, we will have to refer to our displays as unsynchronized light shows. 

I did contact LOR and was told they are working on some ideas, but if Toyota is 1 second and Buick is 1/4 second, this will be a real issue.

16 minutes ago, radioguy1007 said:

I just bought a new Buick Regal this year and it has about a 1/4 second audio delay in the "infotainment" system.  Compared it with a portable radio in the car.  Makes all the effort of getting everything perfectly in sync kind of worthless.  I did experience this a few years back with a friends new Toyota.  But yet other friends with new cars and digital tuners do not have a time issue.  If this becomes common, we will have to refer to our displays as unsynchronized light shows. 

I did contact LOR and was told they are working on some ideas, but if Toyota is 1 second and Buick is 1/4 second, this will be a real issue.

Just have to tell everyone to bring a portable radio. Or we get some old drive-in movie theater speakers and they hook them to their windows

JR