Light-O-Rama Forums

5.3.8 unable to play show

k6ccc

Just ran into a problem.  First let me give a little background.  I run a year round landscape lighting show.  For Halloween through the end of my Christmas show, I run a dedicated show computer, but for the rest of the year, I run the show from my server.  Yesterday I fired up the Light Show computer (which had not been powered since January) and spent most of the afternoon and evening doing Windows updates, and updating the LOR software from 5.2.2 to 5.3.8.  This was in prep for moving the show control over to the Light Show computer.  In order to change which computer is running the show, all I have to do is shut down the show player on one and move the three USB to RS485 adapters to the other computer, and start the show player.  Both computers are using the same source for the LOR files.  On both computers, they use a mapped network drive of L:\ which in reality is a shared directory on the server.  This has all worked perfectly for years.

This evening, I made the move for show control from the server to the Light Show computer.  Because it was already dark, the evening landscaping show started as soon as it was enabled.  I found that the startup sequence would run, but the first musical sequence would not start, and the show player would start up again five seconds later (I assume after crashing).  The process would repeat over and over.  I could watch the front yard and see that the lights were operating correctly during the Startup sequence.  One of the functions of the Startup sequence is that is runs a Windows command that sends me an E-Mail that the show was starting.  I received the E-Mails for every cycle.  I saved the event log from the Control Panel for the first few cycles and have it in this message. 

The sequences are dated in September of 2018, so I am going to guess that they were last updated around LOR version 5.2.  Here are details on the two computers:

Server:

Dell R710 with dual Xeon L5520 CPUs, 48GB RAM, running Windows Server 2012r2 (64 bit), and LOR 5.3.0

Show computer:

HP 6200 desktop with Intel i5-2400 CPU, 4GB RAM, running Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64 bit), and LOR 5.3.8

Any bright ideas of what I may have missed - or is there a problem?

5.3.8 issue.txt

Edited by k6ccc

17 minutes ago, debtoews said:

FYI- I never update  during a show season!  This is why!

I don't either, but this is prior to starting my show - and no further updates are planned.

Jim, the file system handling changed completely with 5.3. This is where the automatic playback file creation started, and  the storing playback files in /Lorinternal began, with the extra file extensions.

If I were a betting man, I would guess that it won't now play legacy files without creating the playback files from the .Loredit files which would require converting to S5 format.

If they are Loredit files, make a show of them and run it to create the playback files.

I suspect there is a reversion to 5.2 in your future, as none of us with issues have heard anything from LOR .

I am still planning of using 5.2 for playback duties.

The server has been running 5.3.0 since it came out and working fine. My understanding was like yours that the file format changed with 5.3.0 but that may be incorrect.  I'm likely not going to have time to do anything with it until the weekend so that means that I don't have any sound for Halloween (not a big deal).

Honest opinion, is I don't understand why LOR took something that worked just fine and changed it.  Seems like they complicated it.  Made it not work as well.  Likely trying to make it more idiot proof...

24 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

The server has been running 5.3.0 since it came out and working fine. My understanding was like yours that the file format changed with 5.3.0 but that may be incorrect.  I'm likely not going to have time to do anything with it until the weekend so that means that I don't have any sound for Halloween (not a big deal).

Honest opinion, is I don't understand why LOR took something that worked just fine and changed it.  Seems like they complicated it.  Made it not work as well.  Likely trying to make it more idiot proof...

I must be an idiot then, 'cause it don't work.