Light-O-Rama Forums

Some Controllers not working

weston2day

I have 8 controllers and all of them work fine in hardware utility (use to).  However, 5 of them only work in the shows and 3 just flash.  For the life of me I can't figure out why.  They are all on the same network, and I've checked the settings in the sequences (and yes, control lights is checked, but even "shows" don't work).  I've used them all in the past and they worked fine.   I did notice though, that the 3 that don't work are the 3 that were kits and not purchased pre-made.  

So this brings other questions.  I've tried doing a firmware update on 1 of them, but now it won't even work in Hardware utility.  The controllers that do work are running on CTB16PCG3 boards, and the controllers that don't work are using CTB16PC V1 boards.  

I'm thinking this is a driver / firmware issue, but where I had one fail, I'm not sure what to do.  ( I had it connected by itself without problems during the upgrade).

3 hours ago, weston2day said:

I have 8 controllers and all of them work fine in hardware utility (use to).  However, 5 of them only work in the shows and 3 just flash.  For the life of me I can't figure out why.  They are all on the same network, and I've checked the settings in the sequences (and yes, control lights is checked, but even "shows" don't work).  I've used them all in the past and they worked fine.   I did notice though, that the 3 that don't work are the 3 that were kits and not purchased pre-made.  

So this brings other questions.  I've tried doing a firmware update on 1 of them, but now it won't even work in Hardware utility.  The controllers that do work are running on CTB16PCG3 boards, and the controllers that don't work are using CTB16PC V1 boards.  

I'm thinking this is a driver / firmware issue, but where I had one fail, I'm not sure what to do.  ( I had it connected by itself without problems during the upgrade).

K6ccc brought up that V1 can't be on the enhanced Network , it can be on one that is not (and runs at slow speeds).

💡 Get an 8pin RJ coupler. AS A TEST:

Bypass the last controller that worked. It may have a damaged connector.

If that does not work: Move the CAT5 on the firs bad controller, to the other port (if that works, the old port was bad. If it did not, then the cable is suspect 💡 Get a simple CAT5 tester

You go back to the basics, if they all work when connected by themselves then you go to the next step. Add the second and check the HU, if it works you go to three if not then you stop and figure out why. If three works then you add another and keep going. Just make sure you stop and figure out any issues before adding the next. Many times it could be the cabling between the controllers, make sure to keep cat5 and power cables separated.

Edited by Mr. P

On 10/28/2019 at 9:24 AM, k6ccc said:

Are you using an Enhanced Network?  V1 controllers won't operate on an Enhanced network.

That was it!  I forgot I had changed the network to the enhanced speed.  I changed it back to the "Recommended" and all controllers are working great now!  Man... thank you!  I was pulling my hair out over that one.  

On 10/28/2019 at 10:14 AM, TheDucks said:

K6ccc brought up that V1 can't be on the enhanced Network , it can be on one that is not (and runs at slow speeds).

💡 Get an 8pin RJ coupler. AS A TEST:

Bypass the last controller that worked. It may have a damaged connector.

If that does not work: Move the CAT5 on the firs bad controller, to the other port (if that works, the old port was bad. If it did not, then the cable is suspect 💡 Get a simple CAT5 tester

I actually tried that as well.  I switched ports left and right and in between.  It turned out to be the network speed.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I had a similar issue last year... I was told to upgrade my dongle from the (Black) USB485 to the (Red) highspeed USB485 dongle. The issue was that dongle was unable to read the mix of AC controllers with the Pixie 16's. Fixed my issue...  

Hope my comments were relevant..

Thanks,

Rousefamily5

• The topic was locked