Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie has a question

Joel Reiser

So my first light display is going to a nautical under water theme. A designer made me jelly fish that run on “fairy lights”. I called Lightorama and the man suggested to leave the light a solid color and test by plugging in and out really fast. They stay on the color. Not sure I can use dim fade etc. Will RGB control this or I’ll just have to leave solid. Sorry if I don’t make sense, I’m new to this...

2C00C0D7-9B11-4685-920A-30AE9BF750C6.jpeg

C0E40511-2F00-442F-9887-70769BC64F4A.jpeg

BE very careful.  You may let the magic smoke out if you do anything but on/off

💡If you have a Gen 3 controller. Use HU to set the dimming curve FOR THAT PORT to on/Off

32 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

BE very careful.  You may let the magic smoke out if you do anything but on/off

💡If you have a Gen 3 controller. Use HU to set the dimming curve FOR THAT PORT to on/Off

I just bought two basic beginner package. Where is that setting? Told y I’m new!

1 hour ago, Joel Reiser said:

I just bought two basic beginner package. Where is that setting? Told y I’m new!

In  the hardware Utility (HU) where you set the ID for one of the units to 02.

💡 For the Unit you ill use ( I also suggest attaching a Tag or colored tape to the outlet), You will 'discover the unit

This is in the Users Guide that came with your controller: Configuring Lighting Curves p14-18

click Advanced Configuration:   TICK and change the setting next to the channel(s) you chose to: On/Off: Click Update Units Config

• Like 1

I know LOR really does not support third party hardware and Mary usually answers the phone, seems strange. The above photos are for that Fairy Light controller which is not an LOR product... and you are trying to use WHICH LOR controller to interface this with?

Be warned.  Some lights that use their own controllers that have ADAPTERS WILL NOT function at all with an LOR {CTB16PC} controller at all.  You might plug it in to a Controller dangle and the lights may just stay on and not go off, even with NO LIGHTING COMMANDS active in the SE or HU.   Some adapters seem to be able to turn on the channel at full on and WILL NOT accept an OFF command at all.   This can and possibly will BLOW the triac on that channel used.  I know on older CTB16PC AC Controllers this can happen because that is how I blew out a triac on one of my V2 controllers.  Plugged in an adapter, used just FULL OFF and FULL ON commands, but the adapter WOULD NOT power down, even with the channel at FULL OFF, it was still feeding power FULL ON to the lights.

Some adapters DO NOT WORK well or at all with FULL OFF and FULL ON Commands with the AC Controllers.  Not sure if the GEN3 units will do the same or not, since I don't have one of those types.  But older CTB16PC's don't play well with some adapters, if you plug it on and the controller channels are FULL OFF, no sequence running, and you HAVE LIGHTS ON FULL, I'd strongly suggest you NOT use these with your controller if they turn on fully just by plugging them into a channel dangle.

Instead use their own built in controllers and use them in other areas of your display where they could be left operating on their own, they could be useful in this manner for areas of a sequence when they are very few other lights on or for periods where a sequence may have the lights off, and even useful for when their my be a lapse of lighting as one song ends and the other needs to load in and start.

Just saying if they don't work as they should, especially if they DO NOT TURN OFF FULLY, then don't add them to your LOR controller!

Edited by Orville
  • Thanks 1