Light-O-Rama Forums

Twinkle/Sparkle give big blocks...

jamills706

I have tried sparkle, and have tried twinkle. in all cases when what I expect to see is individual pixels coming on and off (especially noticeable on my 16X25 Pixel Trees) I get blocks of pixels, like big squares composed of multiple pixels) turning on and off. I don't want blocks of pixels. I want individual pixels. Do I have a setting wrong? Does it just not work that way?

I also notice the same behavior in Snowflake....I would have expected that on its smallest setting snowflakes might be only one pixel...but, again, I get blocks of pixels.

Anyone have this behavior, or a suggestion of where I should look to get the individual pixel twinkle I am hoping for?

2 hours ago, jamills706 said:

I have tried sparkle, and have tried twinkle. in all cases when what I expect to see is individual pixels coming on and off (especially noticeable on my 16X25 Pixel Trees) I get blocks of pixels, like big squares composed of multiple pixels) turning on and off. I don't want blocks of pixels. I want individual pixels. Do I have a setting wrong? Does it just not work that way?

I also notice the same behavior in Snowflake....I would have expected that on its smallest setting snowflakes might be only one pixel...but, again, I get blocks of pixels.

Anyone have this behavior, or a suggestion of where I should look to get the individual pixel twinkle I am hoping for?

What is your LOGICAL RESOLUTION  set to in HU? (cosmic color/Pixie Config)  If the number is smaller than Pixels per port, then the Pixie groups them

(eg 100 px in Port, 50 resolution =  turn on by 2's

If you purchased that from LOR did you go to SuperStarLights and get Brians prop file for that? Its somewhere on his site.

JR

I don't see where to set HiDef anywhere.

I do use Brian's definition for the trees but the greater majority of theses are string of lights along eaves, of cylindrical spirals (wrapped tree trunks)... so there are simply 100 pixels per port on a Pixie2 Controller port. The trees, of course, are 8 strands of 50 on each port folded over once to give 16 strands of 25.

I am not sure about "Logical Resolution.: I do have them on an enhanced network with strings of 100 pixels per port. They work fine for most all of the motion effects I've ever tried....just have this weird behavior on twinkle or sparkle (and I guess also on snowflake - but not sure that would render exactly the same on the pixels since it represents flakes).

Edited by jamills706

I should also mention - that right now the pixels are not connected to the networks...I am seeing the weird blocks of twinkles only on the preview screen while sequencing.

BUT...last year I saw the same thing on the actual lights in the yard (as well is in the preview screen). I just didn't have time to trouble shoot the twinkle last year.

Also, right now I am on the latest download (as of a couple of days ago) of S5. So last year it would have been a much earlier version of S5.

Edited by jamills706

The resoulution talked about earlier is found in the Hardware Utility (HU) by first pressing the CONFIG button and then choosing Cosmic Color/Pixe Config.  Since you are not familiar with its location, I think i unlikely that you have made changes to the default plus, the preview doesn't know what HU info you have put in so since you are seeing it in preview I think it unlikely that is the problem.  If may be helpful if you can take a screen shot of your prop definition so we can take a look at it.

15 hours ago, jamills706 said:

I don't see where to set HiDef anywhere.

Sorry for the delay, I was out of town. I am not sure if this applies to what sounds like Superstar effects, but for motion effects it does have an effect similar to the one you describe.

I should have said in the Group Definition. Right click on the group or motion row and choose Group Definition. There is a slider on the right side. Move it all the way up to Hi Res (slower) and see what happens.

10 hours ago, Rick P said:

The resoulution talked about earlier is found in the Hardware Utility (HU) by first pressing the CONFIG button and then choosing Cosmic Color/Pixe Config.  Since you are not familiar with its location, I think i unlikely that you have made changes to the default plus, the preview doesn't know what HU info you have put in so since you are seeing it in preview I think it unlikely that is the problem.  If may be helpful if you can take a screen shot of your prop definition so we can take a look at it.

But, I don't have the pixels which form the prop  hooked up yet, so how am I to press the CONFIG button. Or, am I missing something else? With no pixels connected the HU does nothing.

Not the prop definition. The control I'm talking about is in the motion row or group definition.

In Sequencer right click on the group or the motion row. Your config indicates you have two motion rows.

Nothing to do with the hardware utility for what  I am talking about, I can't speak to LOR pixel hardware configs

11 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Not the prop definition. The control I'm talking about is in the motion row or group definition.

In Sequencer right click on the group or the motion row. Your config indicates you have two motion rows.

Nothing to do with the hardware utility for what  I am talking about, I can't speak to LOR pixel hardware configs

I did find that...and it did seem to make a subtle change in the way the prop looks in the preview. Thank you for that.

I guess, even though it still looks slightly block (smaller blocks, but blocks nonetheless) when set on HiRes...I guess I will have to wait now to see what it looks like once I get the outside wiring all done. Thanks again!

I just changed my pixel tree to the low setting, and on the tree itself it looked horrible. Not a LOR tree or controller or SS though.

11 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

I just changed my pixel tree to the low setting, and on the tree itself it looked horrible. Not a LOR tree or controller or SS though.

"Looks terrible" is a perfect description!!!! LOL

I think you may have given me the correct solution, though. It looks 1000% better...still seems a tiny bit blocky, but that could be the setting of the bulb size, etc. itself. I'm gonna play with that now.