Light-O-Rama Forums

SuperStar Seqencer version

bbig

I recently bought the pixie 16x50 to outline the house and a 16 channel CCR-II superstar ribbon tree.  I already ha e a CMB24D and a CTBO8D.  My question relates to the licience version i need for SuperStar Sequencer.  I'm new to the smart pixels so cut me a little slack here.  I assume a 16 strings of 50 pixels each would need 800 channels, right?  Add the ribbon tree for another 800 channels and 36 for the 12 channel CTBO8D.  Totaling 1636 channels so I would need the 40_CCR with 2000 channels, Correct?  Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, bbig said:

Quiet group.

A 16x50 tree is 800 pixels not channels. Each pixel has 3 channels. A 40 ccr license would be good for 2000 pixels or 6000 channels. I would post this question in the Superstar forum.

On 10/27/2019 at 12:07 AM, bbig said:

I recently bought the pixie 16x50 to outline the house and a 16 channel CCR-II superstar ribbon tree.  I already ha e a CMB24D and a CTBO8D.  My question relates to the licience version i need for SuperStar Sequencer.  I'm new to the smart pixels so cut me a little slack here.  I assume a 16 strings of 50 pixels each would need 800 channels, right?  Add the ribbon tree for another 800 channels and 36 for the 12 channel CTBO8D.  Totaling 1636 channels so I would need the 40_CCR with 2000 channels, Correct?  Thanks in advance.

16 strings of 50 pixels is going to be a lot more than 800 channels, 50 pixels on 1 strand = 50 RGB nodes x 3 Colors per node = 150 channels x 16 strands = 2,400 Channels!, So with the tree and the first set {32 strings of 150 pixels} is going to be 4,800 channels.  And 12 channels of 50 pixels will be another 1,800 channels, you are now at 6,600 channels {NOT including any Macro channels}. 

So the CCR License you will need will need to cover those 6,600 channels and any Macro channels that may be used {7 macro channels per strand of RGB lights}, you will need the 160 CCR License {$399.95} that controls up to 8,000 pixels, as the one prior only controls 80 CCR's, and that's only 4,000 pixels.  If you add in the 224 Macro channels, the grand total is now 6,824 channels.

That is if I am understanding your light strands and bulb count correctly.

Edited by Orville

9 hours ago, ebrown1972 said:

A 16x50 tree is 800 pixels not channels. Each pixel has 3 channels. A 40 ccr license would be good for 2000 pixels or 6000 channels. I would post this question in the Superstar forum.

If each node = 3 colors, and 16 strands are = to 150 channels/nodes per strand shouldn't that be 2,400 pixels/channels?  At least that's how I figure my pixels and it has worked 100% in calculating my display needs using RGB pixels and Controllers.  So I don't think it's 800, I think you're off by 1,600 channels/nodes/pixels.

3 hours ago, Orville said:

If each node = 3 colors, and 16 strands are = to 150 channels/nodes per strand shouldn't that be 2,400 pixels/channels?  At least that's how I figure my pixels and it has worked 100% in calculating my display needs using RGB pixels and Controllers.  So I don't think it's 800, I think you're off by 1,600 channels/nodes/pixels.

Orville, you are correct that a 16x50 tree is 2400 channels. But as far as pixel count goes a 16x50 tree is 800 pixels. If I am figuring this up correctly, a 40 ccr license would be 40x150 which equals 6000 channels. 6000/3=2000 pixels. Look at the photo I have attached about the superstar license from the LOR website

Capture2.PNG

3 hours ago, ebrown1972 said:

Orville, you are correct that a 16x50 tree is 2400 channels. But as far as pixel count goes a 16x50 tree is 800 pixels. If I am figuring this up correctly, a 40 ccr license would be 40x150 which equals 6000 channels. 6000/3=2000 pixels. Look at the photo I have attached about the superstar license from the LOR website

Capture2.PNG

I don't think so.  If each pixel node is 3 colors, then each node is also 3 channels{1 for each color, Red, Green, and Blue} there is no way that can be 800 pixels.  Otherwise the strand can't have 50  3-color {RGB} bulbs, it would only be 50 bulbs x 1 color only x 16 strands = 800 pixels.  So these WOULD NOT be RGB, because RGB bulbs of 50 x 3 colors = 150 pixels and also the channel count would be the same, 150 channels, 1 channel for each color in each bulb, 50 bulbs x 3 RGB colors = 150 pixels and channel count is identical to pixel count.  

After looking at your supplied chart of SS, now I am not sure how the CCR pixel and channel count is figured, but it looks like it is figuring on a single bulb count, but if you factor in 3 bulbs per node, it just doesn't come out right.   At least not the way I'm trying to figure this.  40 CCR = 2,000 pixels, but 40 CCR strands at 150 pixels {counting all 3 colors in each bulb} then to me that would mean you need 6000 channels for 40 smart RGB strands. The way I see it it should be each strand of 50 nodes x 3 RGB bulbs in each node = 150 pixels x 10 strands would now = 1,500 channels.   

Someone is going to have to explain how the SS programs figures out just how many channels you need for a specific amount of RGB strands, because the way I see it, it's only taking into account 1 bulb in each node and that would only be 1 channel {in the way I figure it.}  So this is very confusing now, to say the least!

In my book, the SS set up just doesn't make sense now, not the way I count my RGB pixels and channel counts.  Because 40 CCR strands x 3 pixels each node would then be 120 pixels in total and that just can't be right either.  The other way 40 CCR strands at 50 nodes x 3 RGB nodes per bulb = 6,000 pixels and channels.   So I am royally confused on how this is all getting figured out, because it seems the 2nd way of calculating this would be correct.

This is now giving me a headache trying to understand just what, and how do you figure out actual pixel and channel counts if you want to use SS now.

OP- If you don't plan on using for your entire display, just purchase the ccrs required for the largest prop and only sequence one prop at a time. I have 60 CCR's and I only use it to sequence one at a time.

When I purchased the  I didn't have the matrix only a 16X50 tree. Then I couldn't sequence the matrix so I upgraded.

At that time I used the 1 CCR per 50 count pixel, logic. Still don't recall how I came up with 60 but that's what I got and haven't had a problem sequencing any of my props.

JR

1 hour ago, Orville said:

I don't think so.  If each pixel node is 3 colors, then each node is also 3 channels{1 for each color, Red, Green, and Blue} there is no way that can be 800 pixels.  Otherwise the strand can't have 50  3-color {RGB} bulbs, it would only be 50 bulbs x 1 color only x 16 strands = 800 pixels.  So these WOULD NOT be RGB, because RGB bulbs of 50 x 3 colors = 150 pixels and also the channel count would be the same, 150 channels, 1 channel for each color in each bulb, 50 bulbs x 3 RGB colors = 150 pixels and channel count is identical to pixel count.  

After looking at your supplied chart of SS, now I am not sure how the CCR pixel and channel count is figured, but it looks like it is figuring on a single bulb count, but if you factor in 3 bulbs per node, it just doesn't come out right.   At least not the way I'm trying to figure this.  40 CCR = 2,000 pixels, but 40 CCR strands at 150 pixels {counting all 3 colors in each bulb} then to me that would mean you need 6000 channels for 40 smart RGB strands. The way I see it it should be each strand of 50 nodes x 3 RGB bulbs in each node = 150 pixels x 10 strands would now = 1,500 channels.   

Someone is going to have to explain how the SS programs figures out just how many channels you need for a specific amount of RGB strands, because the way I see it, it's only taking into account 1 bulb in each node and that would only be 1 channel {in the way I figure it.}  So this is very confusing now, to say the least!

In my book, the SS set up just doesn't make sense now, not the way I count my RGB pixels and channel counts.  Because 40 CCR strands x 3 pixels each node would then be 120 pixels in total and that just can't be right either.  The other way 40 CCR strands at 50 nodes x 3 RGB nodes per bulb = 6,000 pixels and channels.   So I am royally confused on how this is all getting figured out, because it seems the 2nd way of calculating this would be correct.

This is now giving me a headache trying to understand just what, and how do you figure out actual pixel and channel counts if you want to use SS now.

When it comes to superstar the actual physical pixel is counted as 1 and not 3. Each pixel has 3 channels. I have the 40 ccr license. If I make say, a matrix, that has 2000 pixels I can add effects to that matrix and save it. It works. If I make a matrix with 2001 pixels it will not save nor can I import the effects.. I would be over the pixel count. I don't know what ccr license you have Orville, but you could easily make a matrix with your ccr license and test my theory out. Superstar is based on physical pixel count just as the graph shows. The 40ccr license equals 2000 pixels and 6000 rgb channels. Now with that said, I am talking about pixel bulbs and not a true ccr. Maybe that is where the confusion lies. Pixel bulbs have 3 channels but only 1 bulb. I bet that is where we are coming up with different figures.

Edited by ebrown1972

On 10/29/2019 at 11:46 AM, ebrown1972 said:

When it comes to superstar the actual physical pixel is counted as 1 and not 3. Each pixel has 3 channels. I have the 40 ccr license. If I make say, a matrix, that has 2000 pixels I can add effects to that matrix and save it. It works. If I make a matrix with 2001 pixels it will not save nor can I import the effects.. I would be over the pixel count. I don't know what ccr license you have Orville, but you could easily make a matrix with your ccr license and test my theory out. Superstar is based on physical pixel count just as the graph shows. The 40ccr license equals 2000 pixels and 6000 rgb channels. Now with that said, I am talking about pixel bulbs and not a true ccr. Maybe that is where the confusion lies. Pixel bulbs have 3 channels but only 1 bulb. I bet that is where we are coming up with different figures.

Thanks for the info.  No CCR license as yet, was hoping to get one.  But things didn't work out as planned, so that got put on the back burner for some other time down the road.   I just have the DEMO version of it.  But now I know how to figure out which license I'd need, as this one was really getting me confused on how and what to do to figure it out.

In the recent past the SS license was figured by channel count instead of pixels which kind of made more sense but was too complicated for some I guess. SS can be used to program your entire show so when channels were used instead of pixels then you could easily figure in all the channels that aren't pixels.

1 hour ago, Orville said:

Thanks for the info.  No CCR license as yet, was hoping to get one.  But things didn't work out as planned, so that got put on the back burner for some other time down the road.   I just have the DEMO version of it.  But now I know how to figure out which license I'd need, as this one was really getting me confused on how and what to do to figure it out.

I love Superstar and I used to program everything in my display with it. But now I use a mixture of Superstar and S5. I added 2 singing faces this year using Brian's design that is built into Superstar. The instant sequencing feature, for the singing faces, is very easy to use and only takes me about 10 minutes to do from start to finish per sequence. I highly recommend Superstar it if you ever get a chance to have it.

• The topic was locked