Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie16 - Not all Pixels working

ace22

I have a pixie16 and last year I used 50 pixels per string for my Pixel tree but would like to use more of the controller. I have changed the controller to use 100 pixels per string and tested in the hardware utility and it works. But when I put it into a sequence and test only the first 52 pixels per string light up. Im using 12v pixels and from what I have read it should do all 100 and it does work in the hardware utility but not when actually doing the sequencing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Edited by ace22

2 hours ago, ace22 said:

I have a pixie16 and last year I used 50 pixels per string for my Pixel tree but would like to use more of the controller. I have changed the controller to use 100 pixels per string and tested in the hardware utility and it works. But when I put it into a sequence and test only the first 52 pixels per string light up. Im using 12v pixels and from what I have read it should do all 100 and it does work in the hardware utility but not when actually doing the sequencing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

All of the below questions are invalid if you do not have a "Pro" level license. Start by upgrading first. It is mandatory to run a pixie16 since you need the enhanced network. Once you do that then read below.

How did you add the controller to your sequence/ channel config?

Did you set the 100 in HU and when adding the pixie "the correct way"?

Did you build the pixie16 or purchase pre assembled from LOR?

What is the starting unit ID?

Are you using "enhanced" in Network preferences?

Have you read and or watched my video of pixie configuration in the General Hardware, stickied at the top?

You will also need a red RS 485HS adapter, or your Christmas show may be a bust.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

7 hours ago, dibblejr said:

This question had me scratching my head.  I just checked, and the only build it yourself board is the CTB16 (AC)

Or am I being too literal (again 🙄), and you were referring to the RTG package (board, PSU, dangles in a case) ?

25 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

This question had me scratching my head.  I just checked, and the only build it yourself board is the CTB16 (AC)

Or am I being too literal (again 🙄), and you were referring to the RTG package (board, PSU, dangles in a case) ?

When you buy the pixie's 4,8,16 you can buy just the pcb (controller) for the 4 and 8 and you have to build it yourself. The pixie16 can be purchased assembled or bare pcb as well.

Build it yourself for the pixies is, you buy the card, add psu, pigtails, enclosure and everything else to build it.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

24 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

When you buy the pixie's 4,8,16 you can buy just the pcb (controller) for the 4 and 8 and you have to build it yourself. The pixie16 can be purchased assembled or bare pcb as well.

Build it yourself for the pixies is, you buy the card, add psu, pigtails, enclosure and everything else to build it.

JR

The package. Since 52 px per string work, I think we can rule out user wiring error (a reason to buy RTG packages).

In addition to the HU you show.

A common (at least for me 😳 ) Was those added (sequence) channels are on the wrong network  (eg AuxA vs Reg) for the Pixie.

6 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

The package. Since 52 px per string work, I think we can rule out user wiring error (a reason to buy RTG packages).

A common (at least for me 😳 ) Was those added (sequence) channels are on the wrong network  (eg AuxA vs Reg) for the Pixie.

If they were on the "wrong network" none of the pixels would work.

His first problem is license once that's corrected the OP can use my directions and if everything else is as he posted- all issues resolved.

One of the first things I discuss is - "do not rely on the HU for anything other than configuring the controller", "always use a test sequence for testing the show". 

In this hobby nothing can be ruled out without all the info.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

OP- one more thing to mention

Do your sequences write beyond 50 pixels. If the sequences are from last year where you used 50 perhaps you do not have data written past those pixels.

Build that test sequence and leave the HU alone except to set the pixel length. Don't forget to set the pixel number in the SE as well. 

My video shows you how to make a test sequence.

But as I mentioned without PRO license and setting the Enhanced network - all bets are off on having everything work as it should.

Also get that red RS485HS adapter. You will need that.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

15 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

You can purchase RTG packages and still have nothing work, either way things can go wrong. However I beta tested the pixies and at that time had to build them. LOR did not produce/ sell a RTG package for 2 years. 

Building or buying a RTG controller depends on what the user wants, there is no right or wrong.

JR

2 hours ago, dibblejr said:

If they were on the "wrong network" none of the pixels would work.

His first problem is license once that's corrected the OP can use my directions and if everything else is as he posted- all issues resolved.

One of the first things I discuss is - "do not rely on the HU for anything other than configuring the controller", "always use a test sequence for testing the show". 

In this hobby nothing can be ruled out without all the info.

JR

You misunderstood (or I failed to communicate) what I was trying to say. He botched the ADD MORE channels (assumes he did not copy the tracks to a properly don NEW sequence that had 100 channel ports). Add RGB channels is dumb. It does not inherit from the insert point or give you a setup form (Start numbering  here, use this ID and Network).. As a newbie, I made this goof, the failed to set all 3 items correctly I had the ID OK, but it defaults to Regular, Then I messed up the channel #for the Red (so Blue and Green were wrong too)

I am still learning to deal with px. and keep finding new errors to make.

11 hours ago, dibblejr said:

All of the below questions are invalid if you do not have a "Pro" level license. Start by upgrading first. It is mandatory to run a pixie16 since you need the enhanced network. Once you do that then read below.

How did you add the controller to your sequence/ channel config?

Did you set the 100 in HU and when adding the pixie "the correct way"?

What is the starting unit ID?

Are you using "enhanced" in Network preferences?

Have you read and or watched my video of pixie configuration in the General Hardware, stickied at the top?

You will also need a red RS 485HS adapter, or your Christmas show may be a bust.

JR

I do have Pro. I have Pro Edition with Super Start 40_CCR

I started to go though the config to make sure it was setup to your guide (Thank you and I believe this guide helped me with and issue last year), but I found I was plugged into the Regular Network - Com 3 With 57.6K. I forgot that I used Aux A on Com 4 with the 500k enhanced mode for the pixel controller last year and Com 3 for my older controllers. I tested my test sequence and everything is working now. 

Thank you so much everyone for all your input, This is why I love LOR, such a good group. 

6 minutes ago, ace22 said:

I do have Pro. I have Pro Edition with Super Start 40_CCR

I started to go though the config to make sure it was setup to your guide (Thank you and I believe this guide helped me with and issue last year), but I found I was plugged into the Regular Network - Com 3 With 57.6K. I forgot that I used Aux A on Com 4 with the 500k enhanced mode for the pixel controller last year and Com 3 for my older controllers. I tested my test sequence and everything is working now. 

Thank you so much everyone for all your input, This is why I love LOR, such a good group. 

Happy the guide worked for you. It has saved me a bunch of time and phone calls, facetime and emails.

Happy lighting.

JR

• The topic was locked