Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel frustration

hope4ia

I have searched in multiple forums on how to set up my 2 unit pixie 2's and have tried multiple different recommendations, but they still aren't working correctly.  I have attached a picture of the display because it's difficult to explain. 

I have S5, set up prop as Matrix-Vertical-Rectangle, 4 strings-100 nodes(8 strings of 50) -5 folds- starting location top left.  Unit ID 14, 15, 16, 17 with all circuits 1-300.   

My issue is that all the rows don't have the same amount of pixels in them.  The first two rows have 17, the next row has 16,  then 2 rows of 17, then one of 16, and this pattern repeats for a total of 24 rows.

Can someone please tell me how to set this up so that you can actually tell what patterns and text I am trying to sync??

Thanks

PIXELS.jpg

Maybe a better setup with horizontal rows of 25, more even spacing and follow.

Edited by Rockhammer53

Yes, you can do it with an advanced shape.  I want to make sure I understand what you are trying to do.  Confirming that the actual number of pixels per row is not even?  Also confirm that the rows of pixels are wired in horizontal rows?  Can I assume that row 1 starts at the top left and the next row starts on the next row down on the right, etc?

13 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Yes, you can do it with an advanced shape.  I want to make sure I understand what you are trying to do.  Confirming that the actual number of pixels per row is not even?  Also confirm that the rows of pixels are wired in horizontal rows?  Can I assume that row 1 starts at the top left and the next row starts on the next row down on the right, etc?

I did try advanced shape, but it stated that there were channel conflicts. My husband set this up as he is the outside designer, I do all the synchronizing.  The rows are vertical, first row starts top left(17 pixels), 2nd row starts bottom and goes up(17 pixels), 3rd row starts top but skips one hole and goes all the way to the bottom(16 pixels) and then the pattern repeats.  Originally, when he set this up it was opposite and the empty spot would've been on the bottom but he contacted LOR who instructed him to flip it.  

I am at the point right now that I am open to any suggestions, including ripping every light out and redoing it so it works.  The white netting is 24W×17H

15 hours ago, Rockhammer53 said:

Maybe a better setup with horizontal rows of 25, more even spacing and follow.

Unfortunately we couldn't by the material with 25(24×17), definitely would've been a lot easier. 

Why not do it horizontally, leave one pixel out of the mix at the end of each row and you would have a matrix 24 x 16.  Tape the pixel that is out so it doesn't show when you program.  I think this would be easier to program.

59 minutes ago, lanopie said:

Why not do it horizontally, leave one pixel out of the mix at the end of each row and you would have a matrix 24 x 16.  Tape the pixel that is out so it doesn't show when you program.  I think this would be easier to program.

Since they appear to be node strings he could just cut off the extra nodes and waterproof the bare wires. Unless S5 is different it doesn't matter if he sequences 52 only 51 will light.

JR

2 hours ago, hope4ia said:

Unfortunately we couldn't by the material with 25(24×17), definitely would've been a lot easier. 

I know its too late for this year.   But.. I had the same issue with matrix panel being made with holes for 24 or 48 but LOR has 50 or 100 pixels.  I asked Boscoyo for a special cut with 50 holes and they miraculously said they already had these in stock but were not listed on the website.   I did this two years in a row and they had the right spacing for immediate shipping both times. 

https://vimeo.com/244556392

Edited by ItsMeBobO

A special shape is probably the best way to handle this but what may an easier programing solution is to reposition the lights in the grid to 24 rows of 16 lights.  That will leave 4 lights at the end of each string unused.  They can just hang free or you can remove them.  The sequencer will ignor them and not light them up.  In the prop definition for the grid, change the "exact # of RGB Nodes per String to 96.  The last 4 lights on the string will be ignored.  The grid should now be semetric.  The problem with this solution is that you have to reset the light in the grid which can be a tedious task but you may be happier programing them this year and next.  Dealing with an uneven grid can be a bit of a challenge.  By making the grid even, the folds will be semetric.  It is usually best to use what lights you need rather than set up an usual grid just to use the light you have.

I've had to redo an entire matrix before (larger than this one) because of an assembly mistake I did.  It took several hours but overall it made things MUCH easier.

Something to consider.

• 3 weeks later...

Custom shape is really the way to go.  It takes a long time to set up but it has a HUGE advantage I will explain.

Definitely DO NOT cut unused lights from a string.

By custom shape I mean you use Pixel editor to tell it exactly what pixel is where - for every single pixel.  As long as you don't have any duplicate numbers, it will work.  And when your custom "grid" appears in visualizer, as long as the real life prop looks the same,  the macros will work perfectly in real life.

Now, the big advantage of a fully customized prop is that when bulbs malfunction - and they will - you just remove that bulb from the prop.  No need to tape it over, or even pop it out of the display.  Just delete it from the prop in Pixel Editor.

I have converted all of my pixel props from the predefined items in PE to custom props.  So when my mega tree has a light that won't turn green anymore that is 15 feet from the ground, I just remove it from the prop, and it's instantly gone from ALL my songs.

What won't end your frustration is when a string decides that only the first 40 bulbs work properly, and the last 10 are all orange all the time.  That color orange you couldn't make it do during the Halloween display.  That's when it's time to replace the string...

Pixels are definitely a double edged sword.  An extremely expensive one at that.

Edited by brianfox

• The topic was locked