Light-O-Rama Forums

S5.3.8 Rotating from vertical to Horizontal

Grinch

Using S5.3.8  When I rotate a vertical 24 string to  24 string Horizontal using the TOOLS - MOVE or SCALE SELECTED EFFECTS dialog box and choose CHANGE ORIENTATION and I select ROTATE 90 LEFT (Vert to HORZ) the image appears upside down . Then when you manually select the image to rotate the image through the IMAGE DIALOG BOX  I get the message "YOU HAVE DRAWN AN IMAGE AND HAVE NOT ADDED IT TO THE IMAGE LIST.  BEFORE YOU CAN MANIPULATE THE IMAGE YOU HAVE DRAWN YOU MUST FIRST ADD IT TO THE IMAGE LIST" . Even though I have selected the image from the list and it is already part of the sequence . ???  If I select NO it will still allow me to manually rotate the image.  

It sounds like that message appeared when it shouldn't have. As you say, it allows you to proceed, so in your case you should ignore the message and proceed.

Yes that works doing it manually. But when I select from the MOVE OR SCALE EFFECTS IT ENDS UPSIDE DOWN. Please reread my first sentence above. If I select the horizontal to vertical it will rotate correctly even though I am going the other way but then the scaling boxes are incorrect 

The "Change Orientation" feature can be confusing. In SuperStar you can go into the Layout dialog box and change the orientation of the ribbons to Vertical or Horizontal. And what it does it just orient the ribbons Vertical or Horizontal. This covers the case where you have a "vertical" display where the ribbons are vertical, and you rotate the whole display 90 degrees left and all the ribbons are now running horizontal. It will still play the sequence but it will be rotated on its side.

If you are using full length strings of 50 pixels and you have 16 ribbons then your display will be tall and skinny. But realize that in superstar the definition of a "vertical" display is not "tall and skinny." A vertical display is defined as one where the ribbons run vertical. You could have a display where the ribbons are vertical and the prop is 50 pixels high, but it could have 100 ribbons and thus it would be wider than it is tall. In superstar a prop that is 50 pixels tall and 100 ribbons wide is still considered to be a vertical display.

In the "move or scale selected effects" dialog box, the "change orientation" feature was put in for folks that have their ribbons oriented different than what the sequence was designed for. For example, a common format is to have a horizontal prop that is 50 pixels wide by 24 pixels tall. Most people that have a prop of those dimensions run the ribbons horizontal. Thus superstar considers it a horizontal display. But there are folks that have props that are 50 pixels wide by 25 pixels tall, and they run the strings vertically. Where each column in the prop is half of a string and so there are 50 columns of half strings. Since the strings are running vertical superstar considers this to be a vertical display. Folks that have a display like that can load in a "horizontal" 50x24 sequence and use the feature to change the orientation from "horz to vert" because the original sequence was horizontal but you want to use it on a prop with similar dimensions but the ribbons are running vertical.

I myself have a hard time keeping all this straight. The above is probably difficult to follow. But the key thing is that you would only use the "change orientation" feature in the "move or scale selected effects" dialog box if your strings/ribbons run in a different orientation what the sequence was written for.

And if you go into the Layout dialog box and change the orientation, then that alone is all you do. Going into the Layout dialog box and changing the orientation from vert to horizontal. And then also going into the "move or scale selected effects" dialog box and changing the orientation again will result in the images and everything else being upside down.