Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence runs slow when connected to lights

MikeA

Just for clarification,  you tried a show director (seperate piece of hardware - not connected to your computer) and it still runs slow? 

28 minutes ago, Rick P said:

Just for clarification,  you tried a show director (seperate piece of hardware - not connected to your computer) and it still runs slow? 

Oh, no, sorry.  I do not have one of those.  I ran a show because someone said it takes less memory for the computer to run a show than running the sequence editor.

No worries.  The suggestions that have been given above are all good and  address the problem you may be having with "bandwidth".  Pixels take a significant amount of data throughput and your computer with Windows Vista may in fact be having a hard time running your show.  I do a significant amount of my development with a tiny OLD mini laptop that works find for development but struggles running a show with many pixels.  I don't like running a show from a computer due to a number of personal preferences.  One problem is just what was pointer out above.  If you don't remember to shut off the screensaver, if an update tries to install itself, you have to figure out how to get network wires from where ever you keep your computer to your show controllers, etc.  Rather than do all that, I just use an LOR show director.  Small box, dedicated to running a show.  That is all it does.  They are easy to set up and handle all the networks like a champ.  In my earlier post, I suggested the newest one simply because it will pretty much be future proof.  It is a bit pricey, but quite a bit cheaper than a computer.  I have had outstanding luck using show directors.

If your existing computer is working OK to do show development, then this is just another option you may consider that is a reasonable price point compared to buying a new computer. 

FWIW you can get a refurbished (off lease) x64 PC (no monitor) with W10 for the price of the Show director.

My Dell core Duo came with 8G RAM, 1T HD and W8pro   for $292 (a few years back)

3 hours ago, MikeA said:

I am only testing a 16 string CCR tree.  Nothing else

The guy who sold me the sequences said he has setup many Pixi 16 with DMX.  He claims my controller is not configured right.  This is where I got them. https://www.holidaysequences.com/

According to the LOR Networking speeds page, a Pixie16 controller can not be run on DMX.  Pixcon16 yes (via E1.31), but not a Pixie16.  Besides, a single DMX universe can only drive 170 pixels, which would substantially limit a 16 string tree!

http://www1.lightorama.com/network-speeds/

What speed is your LOR network configured for, an Enhanced or non-enhanced?

I'm assuming 16 strings of 50 pixels for a total of 800 pixels or 2400 channels.  That should be OK on a 500K non-enhanced network - but not by much.  A 1000K and/or enhanced networking would give a lot of extra capacity.  Anything slower than 500K would be too slow.

51 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

What speed is your LOR network configured for, an Enhanced or non-enhanced?

I don't know.  How do I check this?  This is my first year using CCR's.  You might be onto something.

Let me know how to check this if you can.

5 minutes ago, MikeA said:

I don't know.  How do I check this?  This is my first year using CCR's.  You might be onto something.

Let me know how to check this if you can.

Bingo, there it is. If you don't know where it is then you never set it. The default is 57.6K so go into network configuration, click on the LOR tab then click on the advanced settings box. Then click on the regular network.

From the Start Menu, a desktop icon, or the LOR control panel (light bub in the system tray), select Network Preferences.  It will look something like this:

NetworkConfiguration_4.3.26.png

Note that there is a simple view that only shows one network.  There is a button to switch to Advanced view which will make it look similar to this.  In my case, I have three LOR network.  As shown in this screen capture, my regular network uses Com 1 and runs at 57.6K speed and is not enhanced.  My Aux A network uses Com 2 and runs at 115.4K speed and is Enhanced, and my Aux B network uses Com 3 and runs at 500.0 K speed and is also Enhanced.  Clicking on any network will allow changing the settings for that network.  BTW, this was apparently a staged screen capture because on my show computer, the three networks are actually Com 3, 4, & 5. 

Jim,  I was set at 57.6K.  I probably should run 500k with the CCR tree and I have the RS435HS adapter.

It will be next week before I can plug back in and test since I just took my setup down for a party (my 50th)

I hope it is a simple as this.

Thank you for the tip!!

9 minutes ago, MikeA said:

Jim,  I was set at 57.6K.  I probably should run 500k with the CCR tree and I have the RS435HS adapter.

If you were running a 800 pixel tree on a 57.6 K non-enhanced network, I can guarantee that was the problem!

10 minutes ago, MikeA said:

It will be next week before I can plug back in and test since I just took my setup down for a party (my 50th)

Let us know how it works out.  And Happy Birthday!

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

According to the LOR Networking speeds page, a Pixie16 controller can not be run on DMX.  Pixcon16 yes (via E1.31), but not a Pixie16.  Besides, a single DMX universe can only drive 170 pixels, which would substantially limit a 16 string tree!

You are correct.  I liiked at the photos in the manual 😲  The 8 and 16 don't even have LOR-DMX jumpers.  Only the 4 (both V1, V2)

IT WORKED!!!  The speed setting was the problem.

Thank you everyone for your help!!

Edited by MikeA

3 hours ago, MikeA said:

IT WORKED!!!  The speed setting was the problem.

Thank you everyone for your help!!

Glad that was the solution.  For an analogy, it was sort of like trying to watch YouTube over a dial up internet connection.  WAY too much data for the available connection speed.

• The topic was locked