Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PC 16

SiThunder

Hello, 

Can the CTB16PC 16 control adressable LED strips (Cosmic Color Ribbons) or do I need to purchase a pixie controller?

No. You need a pixel controller, such as the pixie. You will also need an enhanced network (red adaptor)  and a pro software license.

• Like 1

And you will need a Red 485HS adapter. (you may be able to use it with you CTB16PC if it is a Gen 3, but you can always run 2 adapters) for the Pixie/Pixcon.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheDucks said:

And you will need a Red 485HS adapter. (you may be able to use it with you CTB16PC if it is a Gen 3, but you can always run 2 adapters) for the Pixie/Pixcon.

The red RS-485-HS is backwards compatible. Will work with gen1 and up. But will be needed with the pixies and its best to have a spare just in case one gets ran over by a car.

JR

• Like 1

So I have 2 ctb16pc both gen 3, I'm thinking of selling 1, buying the pixii controller and the red adapter.  Am I on the right track?  Most of the house will be led strips with other lawn led lights

2 minutes ago, SiThunder said:

So I have 2 ctb16pc both gen 3, I'm thinking of selling 1, buying the pixii controller and the red adapter.  Am I on the right track?  Most of the house will be led strips with other lawn led lights

Why sell one for the other? You may at some point need/ want it.

Of course everyone has their own financial situations and I am not guessing yours

The pixie controllers (not built) are relatively affordable. .

You can build them yourself and save money. I have also built some for a couple members after they purchase everything required (I have a list) and send everything to me.

The pixie is much easier to use especially for a novice with pixels. So in that case you are tracking in a good direction.

If you decide to build your own I can provide you with a list of what's needed and the source.

Let me know via pm if I can be of assistance.

JR

th

18 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Of course everyone has their own financial situations and I am not guessing yours

You can build them yourself and save money. I have also built some for a couple members after they purchase everything required (I have a list) and send everything to me.

The pixie is much easier to use especially for a novice with pixels. So in that case you are tracking in a good direction.

If you decide to build your own I can provide you with a list of what's needed and the source.

JR

thank you very much.  I still have to buy the adressable led lights which will need to cover at least 70ft, so I got the wife to approve lol...but it still going t cost me close to 180 dollars for just the led strips.  So I was thinking of selling one to help with the cost, not to embarrassed to talk about it. But if i am on track that is a good thing. Thank you for the feedback, very much appreciated

2 hours ago, SiThunder said:

I am with dibblejr. Keep both AC controllers.  A) you may need it. B) It might be more convenient/simple to put one close to the prop, rather than run long cords

70' is a LONG run for SMART (pixels).  LED strips run 5M/16' (and tend to be fragile). Bullets on 3" centers run about 12' (50 ct).

2 smaller controllers if the radius to the first pixel of each string goes past 15' (the latest, gen 2 Pixies supposedly do 25'. I believe in Murphy   ) from the controller.

I also discovered that you can't Max Out every port on a Pixie8,16 as you will exceed input current for the bank.  Hey LOR dev's, feed banks from the Middle,(with a slight beefing at the lug) A Pixie8,16 will then handle 4*port-max in eithr direction from the feed

Thanks TheDucks, I am purchasing them in 16ft increments so probably 9 strings total, i have a lot to think about and little time, thank you for the feedback I appreciate it.

1 hour ago, SiThunder said:

Thanks TheDucks, I am purchasing them in 16ft increments so probably 9 strings total, i have a lot to think about and little time, thank you for the feedback I appreciate it.

12V or 5V?  You can put 2 @ 12V end to end   (32') Put the controller in the middle (think T. 32'left, 32' right ) and you have 64' straight line, pixels close to the port👍

OK I will bite: 9 strings?   144'  you said 70'  That is a lot of spares :)  (bet you find uses for them real soon. It goes with the territory )

On 10/23/2019 at 12:11 PM, dibblejr said:

JR

I am interested in learning this and assembling for next year.  You mention a list of items needed for the build.  Can you post or send that please?   

Thank you.

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 6:56 PM, smailliw said:

I am interested in learning this and assembling for next year.  You mention a list of items needed for the build.  Can you post or send that please?   

Thank you.

Sent the list via PM

Just ask if I can be of help

JR

On 10/23/2019 at 9:11 AM, dibblejr said:

JR

I'm always looking for new projects to build/assemble/modify.

If I may, could you send the list of parts/suppliers?

rockhammetr53@ysahoo.com

Thank you

Jim

15 minutes ago, Rockhammer53 said:

I'm always looking for new projects to build/assemble/modify.

If I may, could you send the list of parts/suppliers?

rockhammetr53@ysahoo.com

Thank you

Jim

I added you to the PM I already sent out. Let me know if you didn't get it.

JR

• The topic was locked