Light-O-Rama Forums

Trying to configure RGB "Icicle"(Matrix) lights

dbeebe

I'm not sure if this is the correct section for this question, but I'm not sure where would be better.

Some background: We have a gazebo that we are adding either 6 or 8 sets of HC Icicle lights (number just depends on whether we decide to do the back side panels or not).  Each set of lights has 100 pixels and it is basically just a 20x5 matrix.

--1---6---11---16---- and so on
  2   7    12   17
  3   8    13   18
  4   9    14   19
  5   10  15   20

The plan is to string either 3 or 4 sets of icicles together for each side of the gazebo.  There would then be 2 of these sets, one for each side and each using an output from the controller.  I think I can put these into the Preview with each individual string as an 20x5 Matrix-vertical-rectangle (or quad - not quite sure which is better) item and assigning the proper DMX channels for each.  In real life, they would physically be a single "Item", but within the preview I think it is easiest to consider them 3 or 4 separate items and group them together for sequencing.

We have an Alphapix4 controller.  Each output can control up to 4 DMX Universes.  Here is where my brain is starting to implode.  When configuring the controller, I need to enter the DMX Start Universe, DMX Start Channel, and the Pixel Count.  If I have 3 or 4 strands connected together, I assume that the output sees it as a continuous string with 300 or 400 pixels.

The 1st string is easy.  I'll be starting at Universe 33 (1-32 are used by 2 pixel trees) and the 1st string will use channels 1-300.  The 2nd string, I assume, then would pick up at Universe 33-Channel 301.  This is where I'm confused - what happens at the end of Universe 33?  Supposedly, it auto-assigns universes & channels to the pixels in order, and that makes sense up to the 70th pixel on the 2nd string - it would be assigned channels 508, 509 & 510, BUT what happens at the next pixel.  Will the 71st pixel of the 2nd string be assigned Universe 33, Channels 511 & 512 and then Universe 34, Channel 1?  If so, I can't imaging any way that I can assign that in the LOR preview to the matrix!  OR does the controller skip those last 2 channels and the 71st pixel of the 2nd string is assigned Universe 34, channels 1,2, 3.  Obviously, this would be far easier to work with.

Does anyone have any idea how this works?

PJD

4 hours ago, dbeebe said:

I'm not sure if this is the correct section for this question, but I'm not sure where would be better.

Some background: We have a gazebo that we are adding either 6 or 8 sets of HC Icicle lights (number just depends on whether we decide to do the back side panels or not).  Each set of lights has 100 pixels and it is basically just a 20x5 matrix.

--1---6---11---16---- and so on
  2   7    12   17
  3   8    13   18
  4   9    14   19
  5   10  15   20

The plan is to string either 3 or 4 sets of icicles together for each side of the gazebo.  There would then be 2 of these sets, one for each side and each using an output from the controller.  I think I can put these into the Preview with each individual string as an 20x5 Matrix-vertical-rectangle (or quad - not quite sure which is better) item and assigning the proper DMX channels for each.  In real life, they would physically be a single "Item", but within the preview I think it is easiest to consider them 3 or 4 separate items and group them together for sequencing.

We have an Alphapix4 controller.  Each output can control up to 4 DMX Universes.  Here is where my brain is starting to implode.  When configuring the controller, I need to enter the DMX Start Universe, DMX Start Channel, and the Pixel Count.  If I have 3 or 4 strands connected together, I assume that the output sees it as a continuous string with 300 or 400 pixels.

The 1st string is easy.  I'll be starting at Universe 33 (1-32 are used by 2 pixel trees) and the 1st string will use channels 1-300.  The 2nd string, I assume, then would pick up at Universe 33-Channel 301.  This is where I'm confused - what happens at the end of Universe 33?  Supposedly, it auto-assigns universes & channels to the pixels in order, and that makes sense up to the 70th pixel on the 2nd string - it would be assigned channels 508, 509 & 510, BUT what happens at the next pixel.  Will the 71st pixel of the 2nd string be assigned Universe 33, Channels 511 & 512 and then Universe 34, Channel 1?  If so, I can't imaging any way that I can assign that in the LOR preview to the matrix!  OR does the controller skip those last 2 channels and the 71st pixel of the 2nd string is assigned Universe 34, channels 1,2, 3.  Obviously, this would be far easier to work with.

Does anyone have any idea how this works?

PJD

I am not completely following what exactly you are trying to do. My suggestion is to set your universes to 510 channels and not 512. 170 pixels make up a universe. Each pixel has 3 channels so 3x170 equals 510. You would be missing a channel on the first pixel of the 2nd universe by using 512 in the universe. So by using 510 in a universe each pixel will have the 3 channels it needs.By using 510 the 71st pixel you are speaking of will start with channel 1 and not 511.

My suggestion is to stop packing channels as all you are going to do is confuse yourself. Just because a universe can handle 170 pixels or 510 channels doesn't mean you have to use them all. There are plenty of universes and you will not run out so make it easy on yourself and use the first 100 pixels on universe 33 then the next 100 on 34 and so on. K.I.S.S.

9 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

My suggestion is to stop packing channels as all you are going to do is confuse yourself. Just because a universe can handle 170 pixels or 510 channels doesn't mean you have to use them all. There are plenty of universes and you will not run out so make it easy on yourself and use the first 100 pixels on universe 33 then the next 100 on 34 and so on. K.I.S.S.

Unfortunately, unless I buy a new controller I don't really have a choice.  There will be 6 or 8 sets of icicles, 100 pixels each.  The AlphaPix4 has 4 outputs and 1 of those is in use already.  The only way to not pack pixels would be for each string to have its own output and I don't have that available.  The icicles can be connected end to end (with power injection of course) so to the controller output, a group of 3 or 4 would just look like a single string with 300 or 400 pixels.  I'm pretty sure the controller sees those as a continuous, pixel packed, set.  If I use all 3 outputs that I have left, that would still be 2 strings of 100 on each output and I am still dealing with this issue.  I definitely agree it would be easier not to do this - my pixel trees use AlphaPix16 with 16 strips of 50 pixels - no packing and easy to setup.

I hadn't realized I could change the number of pixels in the universe with LOR (as suggested by ebrown1972 above) , but I'm still not sure how that will work with the actual physical controller and pixels.  If the controller is counting and assigning up to 512, then I need to also.  If the controller stops at 510, then I need to do that.  We've just sent off an email to HC to see if they can tell us how it works....

30 minutes ago, dbeebe said:

Unfortunately, unless I buy a new controller I don't really have a choice.  There will be 6 or 8 sets of icicles, 100 pixels each.  The AlphaPix4 has 4 outputs and 1 of those is in use already.  The only way to not pack pixels would be for each string to have its own output and I don't have that available.  The icicles can be connected end to end (with power injection of course) so to the controller output, a group of 3 or 4 would just look like a single string with 300 or 400 pixels.  I'm pretty sure the controller sees those as a continuous, pixel packed, set.  If I use all 3 outputs that I have left, that would still be 2 strings of 100 on each output and I am still dealing with this issue.  I definitely agree it would be easier not to do this - my pixel trees use AlphaPix16 with 16 strips of 50 pixels - no packing and easy to setup.

I hadn't realized I could change the number of pixels in the universe with LOR (as suggested by ebrown1972 above) , but I'm still not sure how that will work with the actual physical controller and pixels.  If the controller is counting and assigning up to 512, then I need to also.  If the controller stops at 510, then I need to do that.  We've just sent off an email to HC to see if they can tell us how it works....

You may want to check the specs of your lights as I can't see 300-400 pixels without power injection. Even HC recommends power injecting after 120 pixels on the alphapix chart as the ports can only handle 87w at 12v or 35w at 5v.

Yes, we definitely plan to use power injection.  We are testing this out using the gazebo - pixel icicles are pretty expensive and complicated.  If we love them, we will move on to replacing the old LED icicles everywhere else - if they are more trouble than they are worth, then the gazebo will be the only place for them and everything else will get new, old-fashioned LED versions.