Light-O-Rama Forums

What is your show start night this year?

Wayne K

Thanksgiving night as usual (assuming the weather will cooperate enough to allow me to finish setting up this year; still have 20+ hrs of setup to do).

We usually go live the Sunday after Thanksgiving but will probably start on Black Friday this year.  Hoping to wrap up the installation of all lights, controllers and power wires this Sunday and do some testing.

Argh.  Long range weather forecast is showing rain next week for Wednesday, Turkey Day, and Black Friday - my opening night.  Won't affect the show itself, but the opening night "party" will be reduced if it's raining.  Also means that I could lose last minute setup time.

This means that this weekend is going to be higher pressure to get EVERYTHING completed.

Yes, I realize that 10 day forecasts are a wild guess at best, but...

Always Thanksgiving night but I actually always run them the night before Thanksgiving. I just do not tell anyone about it. That's usually my night to watch them

I'm seriously thinking of breaking tradition and lighting up tomorrow night (4 days early) instead of the usual Thanksgiving night.  Currently only our Nativity Scene is lit, but I've been chomping at the bit since finishing the setup this afternoon.   Since Nov 7 I've seen an increasing number of static displays lit up.  So if I get real impatient we may going blinky-flashy tomorrow night.  But  if we do, I'll probably wait until Thanksgiving night to turn on the outdoor speaker.

I did my first live test with most of everything set up this evening.  Everything that was supposed to work did except a few of the GE Color Effects lights on the roof.  Guess I will be climbing up onto the roof again - glad I didn't put the ladder away :)

Opening night is still Friday night...

I guess I'm late to the party! I started set up today, and unless something crazy happens, I'll finish tomorrow. I will probably soft open tomorrow night, and go live officially Thanksgiving night or Friday night, depending on if I have any issues!

I'm STILL hoping for Sunday night but I'm not sure I'll have three full days to get everything up. Calling for possible rain midday Saturday into Sunday morning. I should at least have all day Friday and part of Saturday. If I can get the lights up and controllers out during that time, I can set up/assemble all the wire frame props in the garage and put them out as weather permits.  

The weather forecast was rain starting Wednesday through the weekend, so I had to assume I would have little or no time to finish anything on Turkey day or Friday, so I took last Monday off work to finish up.  Everything is set up and operational except my perimeter string which is set up, but the new box that it's controller will be in needs about an hour (inside) to finish.  Then five minutes to hook it up.  Ran a couple sequences via MIIP this morning before heading to work and every part worked perfectly. 

Current NWS forecast says it will stop raining sometime Friday, so good to go for opening Friday evening...

3 hours ago, tlogan said:

I'm STILL hoping for Sunday night but I'm not sure I'll have three full days to get everything up. Calling for possible rain midday Saturday into Sunday morning. I should at least have all day Friday and part of Saturday. If I can get the lights up and controllers out during that time, I can set up/assemble all the wire frame props in the garage and put them out as weather permits.  

GET TO WORK! Those net lights aren't going to string themselves...

5 minutes ago, MichRX7 said:

GET TO WORK! Those net lights aren't going to string themselves...

Well, at least I won't have to cut th grass or rake first. My son ran the mulching mower over them yesterday. I'm hoping the wind takes care of the one million (I mean, with pinky to corner of mouth, one BILLION) leaves still ON the tree.

You just stuck your pinky to the corner of your mouth, didn't you? Come on, now, be honest.

4 minutes ago, tlogan said:

Well, at least I won't have to cut th grass or rake first. My son ran the mulching mower over them yesterday. I'm hoping the wind takes care of the one million (I mean, with pinky to corner of mouth, one BILLION) leaves still ON the tree.

You just stuck your pinky to the corner of your mouth, didn't you? Come on, now, be honest.

If you get any of the wind that is hitting Michigan right now, you'll be lucky to have trees left much less leaves on them.

16 minutes ago, MichRX7 said:

If you get any of the wind that is hitting Michigan right now, you'll be lucky to have trees left much less leaves on them.

Cool...no more leaf raking!

Thanksgiving night. I’m on lists for tours of lights and they ask to be show ready turkey day. Gobble gobble. I run about a week after New Years depending on what day of the month my days off fall on to take down. 

I resisted the urge to light up earlier than I normally do.  So our show starts on Thanksgiving night at 5:00 pm as usual.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Speedster said:

I resisted the urge to light up earlier than I normally do.  So our show starts on Thanksgiving night at 5:00 pm as usual.

And it didn't kill you, lol... I can't wait for tomorrow night. 

4 hours ago, MichRX7 said:

And it didn't kill you, lol... I can't wait for tomorrow night. 

Yeah, it was really hard to wait, especially since everything was ready to go last Sat night.  It took every ounce of patience to hold off this long, which became increasingly difficult as the week progressed as I saw more and more houses with static displays lit up.

As usual we'll be out of town celebrating Thanksgiving with relatives today, so we won't be around when our show starts at 5:00 pm.  We'll be back around 9:00 pm, and when we get within 2 blocks of our house I like to change the radio to 96.5 FM (the frequency I'm using to transmit the music) so we can enjoy the lights & music as we drive down our block and pull into our driveway. 

My big fear is that one of these years, something will go wrong while we're gone, and when we return home I'll hear only static on 96.5 FM and our house & yard will be dark.  😨  Hasn't happened yet (knock on wood!), but it's definitely something that's in the back of my mind around 5:00 pm as I'm trying to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner 120 miles away!

1 hour ago, Speedster said:

My big fear is that one of these years, something will go wrong while we're gone, and when we return home I'll hear only static on 96.5 FM and our house & yard will be dark.  😨  Hasn't happened yet (knock on wood!), but it's definitely something that's in the back of my mind around 5:00 pm as I'm trying to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner 120 miles away!

That happened my first year when I wasn't smart enough to turn off the Windoze updates. Had to run in the house, log back into the machine and restart the show. Lesson learned.

Yaaa, Show is up and running. Even with all of my testing I see 2 floods that are not working. I guess tomorrow will be trouble shoot day. Hope everything is working for everyone if your starting up tonight or in the next few days.

Wayne

Edited by Wayne K