Light-O-Rama Forums

What is your show start night this year?

Wayne K

I have allway's  done Thanksgiving night or Friday night.   But since Thanksgiving is a week late this year I am thinking I might light up on the 22nd or 23 rd. What is everyone doing this year for your turn on night?

Wayne

It's been our tradition to invite the whole neighborhood out the Saturday Night after Thanksgiving.  My wife and I both work retail so we like to wait until after the Black Friday nonsense is over.  When the weather is good, we usually can see about 200 or so people in front of the house.  I usually set up the Big Speakers outside on the first night in addition to the radio, so everyone can hear it.  Being a week later just means the power company gets a little less from my wallet.

Thanksgiving and the Friday after are holidays off from work allowing me to setup.  No matter how early or late thanksgiving is, I am not ready until the Sunday after thanksgiving.  Maybe after I retire it will be different.    When people ask about show dates I say 'Every day of December' which is easy to remember.  But the show actually runs several days on both sides of December with varying levels of completeness.  Many people request me to run on Saturday after TG so out of town visitors can see it.  But I dont want the pressure of having a firm date which is a challenge to meet.  

ThanksgivingDates.jpg

Edited by ItsMeBobO

This year ,Thanksgiving night,   going to the storage unit today to load up the pick up with all the props we made last year , cant wait.

BobO

Very interesting chart. I have not seen or thought about anything like that. But interesting about the number of days every year. Thanks for sharing that.

Wayne

On 10/20/2019 at 12:58 PM, ItsMeBobO said:

Thanksgiving and the Friday after are holidays off from work allowing me to setup.  No matter how early or late thanksgiving is, I am not ready until the Sunday after thanksgiving.  Maybe after I retire it will be different.    When people ask about show dates I say 'Every day of December' which is easy to remember.  But the show actually runs several days on both sides of December with varying levels of completeness.  Many people request me to run on Saturday after TG so out of town visitors can see it.  But I dont want the pressure of having a firm date which is a challenge to meet.  

ThanksgivingDates.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

shooting for first weekend in December. Only got weekends to set up and that's about 12hrs for the 2 days. 

Sucks when you got to help run the family vending business 7 days a week

Just finished the final installations and testing last night.  65 deg at 5pm yesterday and 29 deg with wind gusting to 30 this morning.

Plan on running this Weekend (15-17) and go live the weekend before Thanksgiving.  Everything is up so might as well let them run.  :D

For me it's usually the Sunday after Thanksgiving, but this year I think we'll start on that Friday instead (Black Friday).