Light-O-Rama Forums

Dmx moving heads / gobos

dustin hayes

Well, yes, but it's really easy, and a very useful skill to learn in this hobby, and will save you money in the long run.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PhilMassey

• Crimson Lane Lights Etown

• Brianc_1978

• ebrown1972

14 hours ago, Crimson Lane Lights Etown said:

https://vimeo.com/305115771

I opened these up and unplugged the fan.  Thanks for the tip.  Merry 3rd day of Christmas!

Are they surviving the weather? I heard they pretty much die once any moisture hits them. I see you're back east so you're getting moisture every morning. Just wondering how they're holding up without any enclosure.

I have 6 outside since mid November, and 4 of those were out for last years season too. Working fine

As I said earlier, they are under my eaves and out of direct weather.

Crimson's lights look very much like mine and in a similar location.

I have 4 of the 105w moving heads that I purchased last year just to get the feel of things. I run my heads off of a serial port from a falcon controller. Super easy. I just ordered 2 of the 230w version heads. They are a Chinese brand. I just couldn't see myself spending $1000 per head. I will let everyone know my thoughts about these heads once I get them tested. If everything goes okay I plan on putting the 2 big moving heads on my roof and the 4 smaller ones under my soffits. And building enclosures for the big heads is going to be fun lol.

Edited by ebrown1972

On 12/28/2019 at 1:00 AM, Sully said:

Are they surviving the weather? I heard they pretty much die once any moisture hits them. I see you're back east so you're getting moisture every morning. Just wondering how they're holding up without any enclosure.

So far so good! I will bring them inside if the weather is going to be bad but they do perform fine in the light mist or fog.

Anyone have a link for some that won't break the bank, but still have some impact?   I don't want to spend $400 a head,  but I also don't want to spend money on something that can't be seen.

I have one of these. (See link below ) I did not use it in my Christmas display, but was very happy with it in another application. I used the DMX plugs from LOR to interface the sequencer to it. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WXVM8D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mine are almost identical to this.

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32839827235.html?spm=2114.12057483.0.0.318d42caVGF17c

Pretty bright, but don't expect to see beams unless its misty. You need the 300W+ lamps for that.

This pic is four of them from last year.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pukhv0aoyybko7o/1982 worlds fair theme.mp4 ‎- photos[3].bmp?dl=0

Once I get this all hooked up. Should Hardware utility recognize the light just like if it was a LOR UNit? or do I have to do something special to get it to recognize it?

Once you get a second LOR adaptor attached and recognized by the PC you will need to assign a DMX universe in network prefs, using that adaptor on Aux A, for example.

You will need to set the base dmx address on the light, usually 001 for the first light. It will then respond to commands from the pixel console.

When that is complete you can open the HU and select pixel console, select dmx and your universe number. The sliders will then correspond to the various functions of the light.

For example. The light Channel 1 is usually the pan control, so slider 1 will control pan. This is only for testing purposes, you will need to sequence them in sequence editor for show  use and for that you will need to add the channels to sequence editor.

Warning. Sequencing them is quite tedious and you will want a light connected to see what is happening.

It may also help if you spin around three times while chanting DMX,DMX,DMX.

It sounds a lot more complex than it really is, and I can talk you through it when the time comes, if you like.

I appreciate the help. I had my neighbor help me solider the cables but it didn't seem to work as LOR is not seeing it.. LOL on the spin 3 times.. should I click my shoes together 3 times as well and say "I wish this would work I wish this would work I wish this would work?

On 12/29/2019 at 10:15 AM, Crimson Lane Lights Etown said:

So far so good! I will bring them inside if the weather is going to be bad but they do perform fine in the light mist or fog.

How exactly are these mounted under your soffits? I have 4 smaller heads and 2 of the 230w heads. I would like to put the 2 big heads on my roof but have considered placing them under my soffits to reduce spending. Let me know please and thanks,

Eric

I use three of these to mount mine. I did not want to spoil my soffits by drilling holes.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=601800

This is how they look when installed.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=601800

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6krrif8958mbltj/20191207_145302.jpg?dl=0

Those look really good like that. My soffits are only about 2 feet deep so not sure how much protection I would have going the soffit route.

Part of my soffits are about two feet, and those two lights did get splattered a bit. Still working though at shutdown last night. Do disable the base fan, but leave the light fan enabled 

I will be taking them down tomorrow, looks like they just need a bit of cleanup.

7 hours ago, ebrown1972 said:

How exactly are these mounted under your soffits? I have 4 smaller heads and 2 of the 230w heads. I would like to put the 2 big heads on my roof but have considered placing them under my soffits to reduce spending. Let me know please and thanks,

Eric

Eric, I made a bracket out of wood that I countersunk and screwed to the bottom of the head where the metal bracket would be.  Then I mounted thumb screws and sunk the nut into the overhang.

Phil, your lights say 60watt.  Have you actually taken a watt meter to them?  I have seen 60w heads advertised at the same price as 30 watt heads but the actual LED light wattage is in question.  For example, my total 30 watt head only actually has an 8 watt LED in it.  And the total wattage never gets above 26. Looks exactly like yours.  There must be different 'electrical standards' in China :)

Never checked them but they are much brighter than the 10W LOR floods.

They are a single white LED, not RGBW. 

Colors are via a color gobo wheel.

The problem with the RGBW heads I have seen, is as you say, that they contain 4 separate LEDs of lower Watts.

I would have liked to go RGB, but was afraid they would not have been as bright. The color wheels are a pain, but they work OK.

The high wattage 300W lights, I believe, have a White incandescent bulb which adds potential  fragility and duty cycle issues.

I suspect true high Wattage RGBs are really expensive. Daren't look.

I'll put a meter on one some time.

I have a couple of videos in the display section if you want to see them working.