Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 16 board pigtail connections

metallus2000

So, this year have the 4 pin pigtails. Does it matter how they are plugged in? The Lightorama ones that came with the CCB's have no markings.

The obvious answer would be to just plug them in, but want to make sure I am not screwing this up.

pigtails.jpg

Take a close look at the back of the pixel. May need a magnifying glass. You can usually see the markings on the back of the pixel pcb. You may then be able to tell which wire goes where depending on what type of connector they use.

If in doubt open a help ticket and ask. Better than frying something.

1 hour ago, PhilMassey said:

Take a close look at the back of the pixel. May need a magnifying glass. You can usually see the markings on the back of the pixel pcb. You may then be able to tell which wire goes where depending on what type of connector they use.

If in doubt open a help ticket and ask. Better than frying something.

Look for a Rib or white strip.  That end is GND

2 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Look for a Rib or white strip.  That end is GND

I am suspecting I have the wrong ones for the controller. Does the Pixie 16 use only smart pixels?

I bought these:

Clearance 100 RGB Bulbs    CL-CCB-BULB-100-BULBS-ORIGINAL      Green Wire Original CCB

If these are of no use on the Pixie 16, should I get a dumb controller to run the above?

Edited by metallus2000
correction

You need to get the specs on the pixels. They are smart pixels I believe but an earlier generation.

You will need to know the voltage, chip type at the very least to set them up properly and safely.

Perhaps someone familiar with them will chime in.

Still think asking LOR might get you the best answers.

3 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

You need to get the specs on the pixels. They are smart pixels I believe but an earlier generation.

You will need to know the voltage, chip type at the very least to set them up properly and safely.

Perhaps someone familiar with them will chime in.

Still think asking LOR might get you the best answers.

Thanks, I did ask the Helpdesk, they sent me a link. Didn't help. Perhaps I just need new dongles(pigtails)?

Edited by metallus2000
more info

Keep in mind that the pixels you bought on clearance are WS2801 5v so all the ports on the Pixie must use WS2801 5v pixels. You cannot mix pixels on a Pixie controller.

Edited by Mr. P

5 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Keep in mind that the pixels you bought on clearance are WS2801 5v so all the ports on the Pixie must use WS2801 5v pixels. You cannot mix pixels on a Pixie controller.

I am fine with that, but the pigtails do not have any markings. I tried them, no-go on getting lights to work.

I guess what I am looking for here, is do I need to buy different pigtails, or is there a set way to install the 4 pin(plain green) pigtails on a pixie board.

4 minutes ago, metallus2000 said:

I am fine with that, but the pigtails do not have any markings. I tried them, no-go on getting lights to work.

I guess what I am looking for here, is do I need to buy different pigtails, or is there a set way to install the 4 pin(plain green) pigtails on a pixie board.

Just use a multimeter and trace the wires so you know which is what.

9 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Just use a multimeter and trace the wires so you know which is what.

Pixie16 are 3 wire (smart pixels only).

4 wires are dumb pixels won’t work with pixie

Yku need a cmb24 for those

Mis read the post.

Yes, this f I was you I would replace all pigtails.

I built all of mine, you need tips or resources just pm me.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

5 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Pixie16 are 3 wire (smart pixels only).

Yku need a cmb24 for those

Mis read the post.

Yes, this f I was you I would replace all pigtails.

I built all of mine, you need tips or resources just pm me.

JR

The pixels they purchased are WS2801 which are four wire smart pixels and the Pixie does support those pixels.

3 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

The pixels they purchased are WS2801 which are four wire smart pixels and the Pixie does support those pixels.

I suspected as such, bummer. Off to buy a dumb controller...

Smart Pixels will have to wait until next year.

1 minute ago, metallus2000 said:

I suspected as such, bummer. Off to buy a dumb controller...

Smart Pixels will have to wait until next year.

If these are the pixels you purchased then they are smart pixels and can be used on the Pixie. These are the WS2801 four wire smart pixels.

http://store.lightorama.com/clrgbbugrwi.html

1 hour ago, metallus2000 said:

I am suspecting I have the wrong ones for the controller. Does the Pixie 16 use only smart pixels?

I bought these:

Clearance 100 RGB Bulbs    CL-CCB-BULB-100-BULBS-ORIGINAL      Green Wire Original CCB

If these are of no use on the Pixie 16, should I get a dumb controller to run the above?

• 50 RGB Bulbs per string - 6" Spacing
  • Green wire and connectors
  • IP68 rating for outdoor use
  • Voltage = 5V
  • Pixels are 4 wire - WS2801 controlled
  • Can be controlled by Pixie4, Pixie8, Pixie16 and Pixcon16 devices
  • Compatible with the Cosmic Color Pixel Controller
  • Dangle included for each string

First of all,they are 5V, There are tricks you need to do to get a Pixie (the board) to run. Then you have to use the HU to set the Pixel type to W2801. THAT APPLIES TO THE WHOLE BOARD.

The Diagram for the wires are near the bottom of http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/ConnectingPixelsToPixelControllers.pdf

Pinout of the CCB 100 pigtail, aka dangle. Double click for full image. Hope that is helpful. Jim

CCB Pigtail3 pinout

Edited by Rockhammer53
spelling

33 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I don't know about these particular pixels, but there ARE 4 wire smart pixels out there.

My experience is these work on a pixcon 16...should be similar on the pixie...same type board connectors. The WS2801 are 4 wire smart pixels, 5volts only.

Edited by Rockhammer53

6 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

I don't know about these particular pixels, but there ARE 4 wire smart pixels out there.

All pixels in the LOR clearance store are WS2801 four wire.

2 hours ago, metallus2000 said:

I bought these:

I also bought these SMART PIXEL BULBS, Works great on my Pixcon 16's and with the CCB100 controller, just a single issue on a CCB controller showing the wrong color on the second port. These should work just fine on your pixie board.

Ignored is good.

34 minutes ago, Rockhammer53 said:

Pinout of the CCB 100 pigtail, aka dangle. Double click for full image. Hope that is helpful. Jim

CCB Pigtail3 pinout

Ah awesome, ty! I will try everyone's suggestions 🙂

• Haha 1