Light-O-Rama Forums

Cleaning male and female connectors

bob_moody

We were not able to put up our display last year (65+ inches of rain ...)

So....In the interest of curbing surprises, I'm pulling everything out and testing . Lo and behold... 1st test out of the box was 8 CoroCanes.. and... as you may have guessed, the first problem.

It seems that Cane 1 and 2 look great, but 3 through 8 start to change colors. I have the initial power injection, then 2 other injection points. I have used these for several years so I'm fairly sure the power issue was resolved. However, I'm working on the theory that pin connectors (male and female) have had time (2 years) to accumulate a little corrosion and this is impeding power.

So with all that said... I'm hoping someone might have a good home remedy to clean the pins and sockets. I have done a little research and found everything from vinegar to brake fluid. I'm pretty sure that brake fluid would reduce the plastic shell to a puddle of mush .. so ..no...

Open to any and all... On another note, its been a while since I have been to the forum .... Hello to all my old friends ... sorry to be away so long ... and Hello... I'm Bob ... been with LOR since S1 (about 16 years now) .. to all those that I have yet to meet ...

Bob Moody - Huntsville TX

White Vinegar is acidic (try a 50% solution first. Less acid is always better) ). Just flush and neutralize (Baking soda in the water), then flush that and dry. 

If you have hard water, use distilled/DI water  for the final flush

FWIW Cokeacola will eat circuit boards to the point of failure  within hours  Flush immediatly after a spill into electronics

Being an Electronics Tech i do not trust home remedies , the chemical i trust for electronic components is called Deox It you can find it online . it works wonders on corrosion. Also Deox It is safe for all electronics and will not harm plastics

Edited by Godney

I have a can of Deoxit from using it in my boat.

Don’t let sticker shock get you. It’s pricey for the can size. About $30 for a very small can at my Local marine parts supplier.

JR

Thank you for the info ...

As these are only the connector cables, i don't have a lot to lose and had already prepared a 50% vinegar/water mix and letting them soak.

Actually, they are starting to shiny up (funny way of saying the oxidation is letting go) ... I'll dip them in some baking soda and water and neutralize the acidic vinegar and stop by Harbor Freight or somewhere to see if I can find a small brass brush... If they deteriorate.. then... lessons learned ..

Godney, I can't say I disagree with you and had I not jumped the gun I would probably preferred something like you recommended but ... at 10:00PM on a Saturday ... any kind of clothes fit a naked man .. Appreciate the feedback ..

Bob

9 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Don’t let sticker shock get you. It’s pricey for the can size. About $30 for a very small can at my Local marine parts supplier.

JR

JR - 1st mistake - Local Marine Supplier - 😁 About 1/2 that on Amazon.. Just being silly about the 'mistake' part, no offense intended.

Bob W

9 hours ago, BobW said:

JR - 1st mistake - Local Marine Supplier - 😁 About 1/2 that on Amazon.. Just being silly about the 'mistake' part, no offense intended.

Bob W

My friend JR doesn’t make mistakes. 

18 hours ago, dibblejr said:

JR

Got your back buddy. 

• Like 1

I would also recommend Deoxit contact cleaner.  Yes it expensive, but if you are wanting to purchase locally, try your local music supply shop.  It will be cheaper than your boat place.

12 hours ago, BobW said:

Bob W

Supply and demand. When crap happens and you need something today you have to  pay the piper.

Had I knew I wails have an electrical issue before departing the marina I may have purchased it online.

After about 8 years or so I still have some in the can but no more boats.

JR

3 hours ago, Mega Arch said:

My friend JR doesn’t make mistakes. 

Got your back buddy. 

I make mistakes all the time but much appreciate a great friend having my 6.

Thanks

JR

• Like 1

My go to for connectors is Deoxit, spendy but has served me well for a couple of decades as an engineer. Home remedies are iffy at best, dangerous at worst.

I pulled the trigger and ordered a can of Deoxit... It will be here tomorrow.. 

Thank you all for the feedback.. I appreciate it .. 

Bob 

Deoxit arrived... applied per instructions...

waiting a few mins to connect the display elements up and test ..

Thanks again for all the feedback...

LOR users are the best !!

Bob

• The topic was locked