Error 23 Sequence file does not exist

Tman49

1 minute ago, PhilMassey said:

I'm just old, period.......

So the answer is  D. All of the Above

Edited by MichRX7

8 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

Orville, this was on ONE pc 

He is using a "tower computer", a "laptop" and an "email account".   So there could be a folder issue on the laptop not matching as identical folders that are on the tower unit. 

And I'm not even sure how he could run a sequence from an e-mail account.   I can't do it from my e-mail accounts at all, and I sure can't get it to work from my OneDrive accounts either, and that's where I keep copies of all my sequences.   I have to download the sequence and then load it into the SE before I can even get it to play or do anything with it.  

I wouldn't even think it'd be possible to run a sequence from an e-mail account. 

Just know I've tried it a few times in the past and the sequence just doesn't do anything, doesn't even load into the SE, unless I download it, then load it, then it'll work just fine.

9 hours ago, MichRX7 said:

So the answer is  D. All of the Above

Yes and don’t forget to add “how old you feel as well”.

JR

34 minutes ago, Orville said:

He is using a "tower computer", a "laptop" and an "email account".   So there could be a folder issue on the laptop not matching as identical folders that are on the tower unit. 

And I'm not even sure how he could run a sequence from an e-mail account.   I can't do it from my e-mail accounts at all, and I sure can't get it to work from my OneDrive accounts either, and that's where I keep copies of all my sequences.   I have to download the sequence and then load it into the SE before I can even get it to play or do anything with it.  

I wouldn't even think it'd be possible to run a sequence from an e-mail account. 

Just know I've tried it a few times in the past and the sequence just doesn't do anything, doesn't even load into the SE, unless I download it, then load it, then it'll work just fine.

Based on his statement the email probably comes from being a shared sequence sent to him, in his statement Ice I’ve Baby was probably sent from James or I.

He then downloaded it to his sequencing computer and edited it to his config.

He then used “save as” and transferred it to his show computer and didn’t re sync the audio file by playing each seq for a short period, hence the the problem.

I may be wrong but I don’t think he was trying to play a sequence from an email account. Even if he did it prob would bet him no or very few lights to match his config.

JR

14 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Based on his statement the email probably comes from being a shared sequence sent to him, in his statement Ice I’ve Baby was probably sent from James or I.

He then downloaded it to his sequencing computer and edited it to his config.

He then used “save as” and transferred it to his show computer and didn’t re sync the audio file by playing each seq for a short period, hence the the problem.

I may be wrong but I don’t think he was trying to play a sequence from an email account. Even if he did it prob would bet him no or very few lights to match his config.

JR

That is so odd that folks have an issue with the "Save As" option.   I use it all the time when I re-do a sequence, and I've never had issues with this particular issue at all.  Guess I've been lucky with this one.

2 minutes ago, Orville said:

That is so odd that folks have an issue with the "Save As" option.   I use it all the time when I re-do a sequence, and I've never had issues with this particular issue at all.  Guess I've been lucky with this one.

I think it’s only if transferring from one computer to the other since the LOR always looks for the music in the Audio folder or which ever folder it is stored on for sequencing.

Then when transferred you have to redirect  SE to locate the folder and then play the sequencw for a few seconds. I usually play it for 15-30 seconds.

JR

Just now, dibblejr said:

I think it’s only if transferring from one computer to the other since the LOR always looks for the music in the Audio folder or which ever folder it is stored on for sequencing.

Then when transferred you have to redirect  SE to locate the folder and then play the sequencw for a few seconds. I usually play it for 15-30 seconds.

JR

Interesting.  I transferred my LOR folder to my 2nd computer and I didn't have to reload or edit the sequence to re-marry the audio to any of them.   They worked just as they were transferred, made no changes, but when I updated or edited one and changed it's name to reflect the new changes/edits, I used "Save As" and when I reloaded the sequence later, it worked just fine. 

Didn't have to re-marry the audio file when I used "Save As" on any sequences I have saved in that manner when doing a "Save As" because I was renaming the new sequence to something like "filename_V3 .  lms" for example.  Loaded it back in later and it played the same as the original I created it from.  If I had used "Save" it would have overwritten the original file, and that's not what I wanted to do with these particular modifications to the sequence.

The only reason I can see this happening is is the installation and default directory structures ARE NOT identical on each system the software is on.   I use the same exact set up on every computer I have the LOR Software Suite on an, again, never had this particular issue.  Like stated, guess I've just been lucky.

If you are transferring files from one computer to another and the file paths are the same then you don't have to re-sync as long as you transfer all files. However, if you only transfer the main sequence file or the file paths are not the same then when you open the sequence you will get a pop up error stating that the media file is missing. When you load the media file and do a save that is when all those other files are created again.

I think the key is to install the software in each machine using the default settings and locations. That way, you don't have to worry about the directories being different from machine to machine.

I learned this back in the early days of desktops and adding peripherals like sound cards and CD/DVD players. You used to have set IRQ and LPT, etc. to avoid conflicts, like every time you move the mouse the sound card stops. The thing was, most manufacturers agreed on the default settings for a particular peripheral, so as long as you let the install use the default settings, pretty much everything played nice. I remember reading the Q&A section of (I think it was) Computer World and there would ALWAYS be questions from guys (usually guys, anyway) trying to get help figuring out how to resolve these kinds of issues after they went in and mucked around to make it better or faster by overclocking the CPU. Just use the defaults!

5 hours ago, tlogan said:

I think the key is to install the software in each machine using the default settings and locations. That way, you don't have to worry about the directories being different from machine to machine.

I learned this back in the early days of desktops and adding peripherals like sound cards and CD/DVD players. You used to have set IRQ and LPT, etc. to avoid conflicts, like every time you move the mouse the sound card stops. The thing was, most manufacturers agreed on the default settings for a particular peripheral, so as long as you let the install use the default settings, pretty much everything played nice. I remember reading the Q&A section of (I think it was) Computer World and there would ALWAYS be questions from guys (usually guys, anyway) trying to get help figuring out how to resolve these kinds of issues after they went in and mucked around to make it better or faster by overclocking the CPU. Just use the defaults!

I have ***always*** used ***custom*** installations, and have never had any issues like this one discussed here.  I also use custom installs because now days when you may download a software package, it may contain adware or other software you may not want or need on your system {including sometimes virus infected files in those adware files that your Anti-Virus software may miss!} and using the "defaults" WOULD install all this extra garbage that you'd have to go in and uninstall, which in some cases doesn't always install the pesky add-ons or adware garbage, and if it happens to contain a virus, now you have to deal with that too.

No thanks, I'll set up a custom install over default installations any time.   I know the LOR software DOES NOT have this issue, but I prefer to have my directories in custom named areas.  Just my preference, YMMV.

6 hours ago, tlogan said:

Unfortunately, that is often not the case.  Different versions of Windows use different file structures.  If one computer is Windows 7 and another is Windows 10, and a third is Windows XP, the directory structure is different on all three.

I take a different tactic.  I map a network drive (even if it's on the same computer) as L:\  LOR is setup to use L:\ on every computer.  Does not matter if L:\ is a local drive, a network drive on another computer.  For example, what this computer knows of as L:\ is really D:\LOR on my server.

14 hours ago, Orville said:

I have ***always*** used ***custom*** installations, and have never had any issues like this one discussed here.  I also use custom installs because now days when you may download a software package, it may contain adware or other software you may not want or need on your system {including sometimes virus infected files in those adware files that your Anti-Virus software may miss!} and using the "defaults" WOULD install all this extra garbage that you'd have to go in and uninstall, which in some cases doesn't always install the pesky add-ons or adware garbage, and if it happens to contain a virus, now you have to deal with that too.

No thanks, I'll set up a custom install over default installations any time.   I know the LOR software DOES NOT have this issue, but I prefer to have my directories in custom named areas.  Just my preference, YMMV.

Fair enough on not installing any additional bloatware and so, yes, sometimes that is part of the  default install to watch out for and you need to use the "custom install." But I still like to use default SETTINGS for the install. Old versions of Windows had files that contained the settings; the new versions muck with the registry and it is REALLY easy to mess up the entire system when you go playing around with the registry. Those are the types of setting I was referring to as default settings.

13 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Unfortunately, that is often not the case.  Different versions of Windows use different file structures.  If one computer is Windows 7 and another is Windows 10, and a third is Windows XP, the directory structure is different on all three.

I take a different tactic.  I map a network drive (even if it's on the same computer) as L:\  LOR is setup to use L:\ on every computer.  Does not matter if L:\ is a local drive, a network drive on another computer.  For example, what this computer knows of as L:\ is really D:\LOR on my server.

MAYBE you've made a convert out of me on using a mapped drive!

1 hour ago, PhilMassey said:

Don't forget Subst, if you want to create a "Virtual" drive on a local machine

You map a local drive no differently than a remote drive.  Likely easier for most users than the subst command.

I was going to post my Ogre picture in this thread as well, but then all the talk of having to set IRQ's freaked me out and I didn't do it.

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

You map a local drive no differently than a remote drive.  Likely easier for most users than the subst command.

So Jim, how do you use the Map command to assign a letter to a Local drive folder, unless you mean Net Use? . Not seeing it.

27 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

So Jim, how do you use the Map command to assign a letter to a Local drive folder, unless you mean Net Use? . Not seeing it.

Yeah, net use is how I would do it as well.

https://www.howtogeek.com/118452/how-to-map-network-drives-from-the-command-prompt-in-windows/

Or, if you don't like command prompts you can do it this way.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/map-network-drive-windows10/

First step is to allow sharing of a folder.  For these, I happened to use C:\Ham\MMTTY on the computer named Fam-room-2018.  On the Sharing tab (the green arrow), give it a name.  In this case, I called it MMTTY.  You can also give more specific settings on the Advanced Sharing page.

Map_network_drive-1.png

Next step is to assign the drive letter to it.  In windows explorer, select "This PC" (the green arrow), then select "Computer" (the red arrow), and then "Map network drive" (the blue arrow).

Map_network_drive-2.png

On the Map Network Drive page, select the drive letter to use for this share (the purple arrow), check the "Reconnect at sign-in" box (the red arrow), and then the "Browse..." button ( the green arrow).

Map_network_drive-3.png

That will bring up a "Browse For Folder" pop-up.  Under normal conditions, it will have a section for Network, and under that, the computers that it knows about.  In this case, FAM-ROOM-2018, and JUPITER (my server).  Select a computer and it will expand with whatever folders have been set up for sharing.  In my case, there are three - one of which is the previously set up mmtty.  Select the share that you want and click OK. 

Map_network_drive-4.png

Doing all this take FAR less time than it took to type it up and even for you to read it.

BTW, this is exactly the same procedure as would be done to map a share from another computer.