Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel stuck on Blue

Holiday2NV

Ok, I’m running a second Gen Pixie 8, and after adding a string of 50 bullet pixels, now I have a problem:

I have two strings of 50 square pixels on ports 1 & 2, and a string of 50 pixel bulbs on port 3. I was experimenting with the setup yesterday after properly setting the controller up (followed a video from this forum), and everything worked fine. This morning, I added a 50 bullet pixel string to play with, and the last pixel of the strand is stuck on blue. I’ve tested it with the LOR Hardware control, and if I turn on all the blue channels on the port, then off, the pixel turns off, but only briefly. 

I read on some other posts that this might just be a bad string, but those posts were a couple of years old. Does that answer still apply, or is this a setting issue?

If you swap ports with the pixel string and the problem stays with the sting then it’s a bad string.

im going though the same thing 

2 hours ago, TitusCarnathan said:

If you swap ports with the pixel string and the problem stays with the sting then it’s a bad string.

im going though the same thing 

Yup, after swapping the port and restarting the controller, the problem stayed with the string. 

Thank you, Titus, for your response. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was willing to help. 

11 hours ago, Holiday2NV said:

Yup, after swapping the port and restarting the controller, the problem stayed with the string. 

Thank you, Titus, for your response. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was willing to help. 

One thing to remember.

Around here at this time of the year a lot of us are setting up displays and not on as often.

It may take a while but someone will eventually see your question and assist.

Patience.

JR

• 4 weeks later...

The stuck pixel or pixel with a burned out color is awful.  The worse solution is to break out the duct tape and climb a ladder.

But there is a much simpler way to do it in Pixel editor.

Let's say you have a Mega Tree, and one of the pixels at the 15-foot level doesn't do Green anymore.

If you set up the prop in Pixel Editor as a Mega Tree, then you really can't remove the offending bulb from the display.

But if you set up the entire tree as a custom shape, and assign each and every pixel one by one, then whenever a bulb dies, you can simply remove it from the prop.  During your show that little pixel will glow a very bright BLACK all the time, hiding its shame.  The setup is painful, but it's super simple to hide a bad bulb.  The only thing you need to do is label all of your strings so the bad string goes back in the same place the next year.

Pro tip: Setting up a custom tree shape can be a real pain in the butt.  So the way I do it is to set up a bunch of vertical lines, or just a tall custom grid.  I mean, who cares if the visualizer is showing a tree vs a grid?  The animation looks the same.  It took me about 6 hours to properly create the tree fully custom.

Failed pixels are a reality that anyone with pixels gets to deal with.  There are several failure modes (including, but NOT limited to):  Pixel is always off, Pixel is always one of the primary colors (red, green, or blue), Pixel is always on with one of the secondary colors (yellow, cyan, or purple), Pixel is always on with white, Pixel is in one of the previously stated failure conditions AND is outputting nothing to the next pixel in the string (results in the string being dead after the failed pixel), or the worst one - Pixel is failed in one of the previously stated failure modes AND is outputting all 1s to the next pixel in the string (results in the string being full white after the failed pixel).  All of these failure modes will show wrong any time there is power to the pixel.  None of these are affected by the data stream, so brianfox's solution will not fix them - sorry.  About the only time brianfox's fix would help is if the problem is in the sequencing, and not a failed pixel.

The good news is that for the most part, your guests will never notice a failed pixel (particularly a dead one).  The only ones that are obvious are the partial string of all white (yes, I have had that and it's blatently obvious!), and a dead string or partial string (far less obvious).  To give you an idea how subtle a dark string can be, last year I had string 1 of my 24 x 100 pixel tree fail due to a blown fuse.  I go out and watch my show at least for a while EVERY night.  After I found the failed strings (around New Year Day), I went back and looked at my security cameras to see when it failed.  It had been failed for a full week - and even I had not noticed it!  Granted that either first or last string would be easier to miss than a middle string.  I elected to not bother getting out the tall ladder to fix it since the show was only running for another couple days.

• The topic was locked