Light-O-Rama Forums

Looking for Music

Jeff 1S.A.H.D.

Ethics aside, I would make sure any music you use in your display is legally purchased. That way if any questions arise about the music you're broadcasting, you will be able to prove that you've legally purchased it and it is for private, non-commercial use in a personal display.

These "free" sites, while illegal, are a good way to find out what music you want to use. But it's a good idea to purchase what you use -- it's only a buck a song...

-Tim

Regardless of where the music actually comes from, I'm curious of how one explains that it is intended for "personal or private" use when there are speakers placed in the front yard and/or a low power fm radio station broadcasting it from a garage?? :?

Steve

I think the question more specifically relates to intent, rather than "personal and private" use. If the intent is for financial gain, as with a commercial radio station or a display specifically promoting a business, it's viewed differently from a legal perspective. As far as I'm concerned, since I'm not charging admission or personally profiting from my display, whether or not I broadcast music in my yard, or from my house is a matter between me and my neighbors, and not the FCC and/or the music industry.

Just my two cents worth...

George