Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PCg3 PixCon16 lights not working

andrewbrummer

Problem:  Cannot get PC controller 2 and 3 to listen in DMX mode / trigger lights to the LOR software through Pixcon16.

Setup

• PixCon16 (first time used)
    • ID: 1
    • E1.31 network running multicast
    • DMX: all jumpers in LOR mode
    • J3: universe 4, CTBPCUnit4
    • J5: universe 1, CTBPCUnit1
    • J7: universe 2, CTBPCUnit2
    • J8: universe 3, CTBPCUnit3
  • PixCon16 (first time used)
    • ID: 2
    • E1.31 network running multicast
    • DMX: all jumpers in ESTA mode
    • J5: universe 5, Dumb Controller (New)
  • CTBPC16g3 (ran LOR show before)
    • LOR ID:1
    • Universe 1
    • Plugged into PixCon-1
    • LOR ID:2
    • Universe 2
    • Plugged into PixCon-1
    • LOR ID:3
    • Universe 3
    • Plugged into PixCon-1
  • CTBPC16g3 (New)
    • LOR ID:4
    • Universe 4
    • Plugged into PixCon-1
  • CB24 (dumb) (New)
    • LOR ID:5
    • Universe 5
    • Plugged into PixCon-2

While running a sequence:

• 1 light plugged into ID 1 on each of the controllers
  • Units where lights come on:
    • PixCon1
    • PixCon2
    • Universe 1
    • Universe 4 (new)
  • Units no lights
    • Universe 2
    • Universe 3

Trouble Shooting done:

• On the PixCon16 side of the RJ45
    • Moved Unit 1 RJ45 into Unit 3 / Universe 3 - DMX slot.
    • Unit 1 light works
  • On CTBPC16g3-Unit 3 side of the RJ45 cable (i.e. new RJ45 cable on Unit3 that is not working)
    • Moved the RJ45 to Unit 1
    • Unit 1 lights work
  • Tried multiple power sockets on Unit 3
  • Updated firmware on unit 3 from 1.06 to 1.09
  • Cycled Unit ID from 3 through 9 back to 3
  • Cycled Unit 3 Universe to 130 then back to 3
  • Rebooted computer
  • Re-installed LOR software 4.4.4
  • Access Unbit 3 through the LOR DMX USB dongle to configure the unit
    • Tested lights through dongle and Hardware Utility, - they work.
  • The green led top left of the board flashed green until I plug the rj45 cable in, then it goes steady green

I have read and re-read everything I can find.  I know im missing something really simple, really small

Please could you point me to either a video, manual or checkbox I am missing to help me get these to controllers working.

A couple of concepts that you are missing.  Most important is that either DMX devices or LOR controllers operating on a DMX network know absolutely NOTHING about universes.  In this respect, a universe is a physical RS-485 network.  The only place Universe applies is in channel settings, network  preferences, and if you are using an E1.31 controller as a DMX bridge (which you are), then it cares about universes.

Setting the Unit ID on a LOR controller operating on a DMX network  DOES NOT define the universe.  If defines the starting DMX channel ID.

With your setup, there is no need to put each LOR controller on a separate DMX output from the Pixcon16.  Also note that because you are using Multicast, any given DMX universe on one Pixcon16 is the same as that same DMX universe on the other Pixcon16.  You also did not mention what universes are being used for pixels that are connected to your Pixcon16 controllers.  what universes are those using?

Thanks Jim.

Only used universe as the PixCon16 requires the universe when enabling the RJ45 port.

RGB universes start at 11 so they are out of the way of the CTB units.

Have set the universes up on the PixCon16-2 to be 5 only - so the universes & numbers "should" be different.... as i understand the documentation.

The confusing part is that if I move the CTB-1 unit onto the CTB-3 RJ45 connection it works perfectly

Its like the problem is with CTB unit 2 and 3.  Unit 1 and 4 work per the light channels perfectly when i move them between the different RJ45 connections - so the addresses etc are working.  It has to be something specific to the 2 units .....

So I took Jims thoughts here and ran through multiple configurations.  I wonder if a little history here is causing the problem.

CTB1, 2 and 3 were purchased in 2017 and ran 1 year using LOR.

CTB4 was just purchased

The configuration that works now (THANKS JIM) is CTB1, 2, and 3 all linked through one another in universe 1 and CTB 4 in Universe 2 on its own

If I add CTB4 to the universe 1 strand then it behaves in line with CTB1 ......

Interestingly now Unit 2 and 3 are working perfectly....

I will conact wowlights to get a better understanding of why this is happening.

a.

6 hours ago, andrewbrummer said:

So I took Jims thoughts here and ran through multiple configurations.  I wonder if a little history here is causing the problem.

CTB1, 2 and 3 were purchased in 2017 and ran 1 year using LOR.

CTB4 was just purchased

The configuration that works now (THANKS JIM) is CTB1, 2, and 3 all linked through one another in universe 1 and CTB 4 in Universe 2 on its own

If I add CTB4 to the universe 1 strand then it behaves in line with CTB1 ......

Interestingly now Unit 2 and 3 are working perfectly....

I will conact wowlights to get a better understanding of why this is happening.

a.

If CTB's were purchased in 2017 they "should be GEN3's" and "should" play well with your other controllers. Perhaps WOW had some old stock and was selling the GEN2's. They are a great though.

Have you looked at the firmware version on the controllers? 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

2 hours ago, dibblejr said:

If CTB's were purchased in 2017 they "should be GEN3's" and "should" play well with your other controllers. Perhaps WOW had some old stock and was selling the GEN2's. They are a great though.

That part should not matter.  He is running LOR controllers on DMX - which has worked since day one.

Remember what setting the unit ID does when operating on a DMX network.  Make sure that the channel mapping is correct.  There is a chart on the last couple pages of the manual.

• This topic was locked, unlocked and locked