Light-O-Rama Forums

Window's possible future

PhilMassey

17 minutes ago, MichRX7 said:

If you open a run screen (Win+r) and enter CMD and hit enter it will open a command prompt. In the command prompt type "netsh interface show interface" are any listed as enabled?

I get “not recognized as an internal or external command,  operable program or batch file.

I have to leave to go to boys school and won’t be back until late tonight. Room dad so if I don’t respond you know I’m not ignoring you.

Thank everyone for trying to help and yes Phil let us know if you want to move the string.

JR

At this point. I'll be interested to know what the solution is, too. Just in case ,you know, mine starts mysteriously updating. Since someone else has the same problem, there are probably more. And probably some that don't know it yet.

Ok, there is another way to go about this that should guarantee no internet access by shutting it off for that machine at the router. Let me know what company/model router you have (PM me if you don't want to share publicly) and we can negate connection to that machine from the router itself which should really stop your updates. You can then just reverse the directions when your show ends for the season, @dibblejr

Just now, tlogan said:

At this point. I'll be interested to know what the solution is, too. Just in case ,you know, mine starts mysteriously updating. Since someone else has the same problem, there are probably more. And probably some that don't know it yet.

Do the same I just asked of dibblejr. You can tell the router to block access to your machine and then turn that back on when you need it. If you tell me company/model of your router I'll try and write up something for it.

• Like 1

@MichRX7 - I'll keep that mind, thanks. As of last year, I was good just turning off WIFI and internet connection. I did just get the 1903 update, so who knows?

BTW, its the latest Comcast router. I pretty much had to switch to it from third party routers because the signal would interfere and there is a second, open one that you can't turn off. Not everyone is aware but if you have an account with pretty much any of the major cable/satellite companies, they've all gone to this model where, for example, I have a Comcast account and if I get near a Verizon open wifi, I can log in to it with my Comcast account.  

P.S. - If you DO write something up, be sure to comment it. Oh wait, I forgot…REAL programmers don't comment their code!

11 minutes ago, tlogan said:

@MichRX7 - I'll keep that mind, thanks. As of last year, I was good just turning off WIFI and internet connection. I did just get the 1903 update, so who knows?

BTW, its the latest Comcast router. I pretty much had to switch to it from third party routers because the signal would interfere and there is a second, open one that you can't turn off. Not everyone is aware but if you have an account with pretty much any of the major cable/satellite companies, they've all gone to this model where, for example, I have a Comcast account and if I get near a Verizon open wifi, I can log in to it with my Comcast account.  

P.S. - If you DO write something up, be sure to comment it. Oh wait, I forgot…REAL programmers don't comment their code!

Hahaha, on the commenting code. I type 100+ wpm, so I always got into a programming groove, then went back and added comments to cover myself. Plus it was always a good way to review your code and debug it. I don't do much programming outside of a few JavaScript writes as I now work mostly with different CRM systems.

On the router, I don't have any info on logging in and blocking access on a Comcast router, but Comcast should be able to walk you through doing this if you know your Computer Name. To find this out, right-click on the Windows start icon in the bottom left and choose System. The Computer Name should be listed about halfway down the screen that shows up. Basically however your router blocks internet access to a single device (usually on a network map) is you choose your computer name and tell it to block All access. As long as your machine isn't connecting to a neighbor with some sort of Verizon open wifi you should be good.

You may also have old update files it keeps trying to install. There is way to remove these, so let me know if it keeps trying after the it has been disabled from the router.

• The topic was locked