Light-O-Rama Forums

Window's possible future

PhilMassey

So many security holes, so little time...

But, on a positive note, in theory I could run my lightshow off my Android phone.

If you are worried about your show computer . Never connect it to a WAN connected network.

Just remember to scan those files you intend to 'sneakernet" (The good old days of floppy Boot sector virus 😛 )

My show computer is my sequencing workstation and  is connected to my LAN and WAN  all the time. I have even been known to tweak sequences while the show is running. Never had an issue.

I just wish Windoze would allow multiple audio processes so I could do other audio stuff while the show runs on.

I wouldn't recommend my approach unless the user has a lot of computer experience though.

49 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

My show computer is my sequencing workstation and  is connected to my LAN and WAN  all the time. I have even been known to tweak sequences while the show is running. Never had an issue.

I just wish Windoze would allow multiple audio processes so I could do other audio stuff while the show runs on.

I wouldn't recommend my approach unless the user has a lot of computer experience though.

It does.  I have a Blutooth transceiver on my laptop, I can choose where system sounds go (speakers), while VLC (this selection is inside VLC so it can be independent of Windows) goes to the Blutooth device.

But the Option is also there for my HDMI port.  Look at your list of installed Audio Devices)

Each device installs support (and discovery)

7 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

What could possibly go wrong...........

I don’t think I have enjoyed any version of Windows since SE.

I def don’t think one company should capitalize the market and get embedded in every aspect of our lives.

Forced updates even though most updates these days prevent problems.

Today my show computer has no lights, everything was working last night.

During the preview it had serious lag, never seen my Alienware computer act like this.

Looked down on system tray and had a message “computer needs to be restarted to install updates”.

Lo and behold updates installed s all worked.

JR

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, TheDucks said:

It does.  I have a Blutooth transceiver on my laptop, I can choose where system sounds go (speakers), while VLC (this selection is inside VLC so it can be independent of Windows) goes to the Blutooth device.

But the Option is also there for my HDMI port.  Look at your list of installed Audio Devices)

Each device installs support (and discovery)

Speaking of speakers.

Last week after an update my sequencing gaming Dell lost its bass boost.

Researched in google and had to remove a software that was in the update. After removal no change. Even reinstalled the drivers, no change.

Now it sounds like crap. Luckily for now I can use my headset.

Any if you computer gurus know anything about this.

That same software tries I install every time I reboot or restart. It tries to force the restart because it take several attempts to close it before it finally quits being annoying.

JR

I asked once before what build of W10 you are on. If that were my machine  I would do a format and clean install of the current build, by downloading the MS media creation tool. You could try a repair install first, before totally nuking it.

I still maintain that a complete rebuild every year or two cleans a lot of crud out of the installation.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhilMassey said:

I asked once before what build of W10 you are on. If that were my machine  I would do a format and clean install of the current build, by downloading the MS media creation tool. You could try a repair install first, before totally nuking it.

I still maintain that a complete rebuild every year or two cleans a lot of crud out of the installation.

Both of these computers are exactly one year old.

The show Alienware is dedicated only to shows and has only been online to update firmware or software from LOR. Not one thing on that computer. This computer is online but still mainly for sequencing and the forums.

Build on this computer 10.0.18362 Build 18362 sorry I forgot about the last, been all sorts of busy. Dell 15 5000 gaming. I now have 2 - 2TB SSD drives and 32 mg ram. Takes over 1 hour to copy and paste a single sequence after all of the updates.

I read if I have Win10 Pro I can permanently prevent updates, any truth to that.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

12 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I read if I have Win10 Pro I can permanently prevent updates, any truth to that.

There are articles online that purport to disable Windows updates, but I wouldn't trust them. There are some Registry edits that claim the same but again, I wouldn't. As far as I know and this is on Version 1903, the best you can do is delay up to 35 days, which given the recent track record of MS might not be a bad idea. It might give them time to fix most of the bugs. Go to Settings/Update and Security/Advanced Options/Pause Updates.

There are also settings to adjust when updates are delivered, so you can make it happen in the middle of the night. I think if you turn off notifications, it won't hang at the reboot message. Mine never does but you would need to log back in.

The internet is a potentially dangerous place, and these security updates are often fixing security flaws which can affect us all, so they are important. 

If you decide to take a look at rebuilding your machine, give me a shout and I can help you through it.

13 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

I tell people this all the time that don't have any technical expertise in Windows. I'll be doing it to my show laptop this spring after the Christmas season has ended.

16 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

There are articles online that purport to disable Windows updates, but I wouldn't trust them. There are some Registry edits that claim the same but again, I wouldn't. As far as I know and this is on Version 1903, the best you can do is delay up to 35 days, which given the recent track record of MS might not be a bad idea. It might give them time to fix most of the bugs. Go to Settings/Update and Security/Advanced Options/Pause Updates.

There are also settings to adjust when updates are delivered, so you can make it happen in the middle of the night. I think if you turn off notifications, it won't hang at the reboot message. Mine never does but you would need to log back in.

The internet is a potentially dangerous place, and these security updates are often fixing security flaws which can affect us all, so they are important. 

If you decide to take a look at rebuilding your machine, give me a shout and I can help you through it.

I had a long reply and for whatever reason it didn’t go through so I’m gonna keep this short.

I use those settings already.

I wonder if I can use the “postpone 35 days” and set an alarm and on day 34 use the 35 day again before it updates?

May be worth a try.

The problem I have is when it does update at the time set it forces me to update and it disables certain features in LOR.

The other day I couldn’t control lights until I restarted the system to install updates. After that I had all functions back.

JR

6 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I had a long reply and for whatever reason it didn’t go through so I’m gonna keep this short.

I use those settings already.

I wonder if I can use the “postpone 35 days” and set an alarm and on day 34 use the 35 day again before it updates?

May be worth a try.

The problem I have is when it does update at the time set it forces me to update and it disables certain features in LOR.

The other day I couldn’t control lights until I restarted the system to install updates. After that I had all functions back.

JR

Why not just turn off the wifi on your show computer and make sure it isn't connected to the internet? This is what I do when I move from programming mode to show mode so it never even gets updates. Or are you trying to keep the two machines in sync with Windows? Sure, it'll have a lot of updates to do when you turn wifi back on in January, but hey, it's January.

• Like 1

Other than initial setup the show computer has never been connected to WiFi or the internet nor are the in any way synced.

I sequence on my sequencing laptop and transfer with usb drive to show computer.

Thats what makes no sense. I don’t even know how it even knows it needs updates. I have checked every setting I know of yet it still does.

JR

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

Other than initial setup the show computer has never been connected to WiFi or the internet nor are the in any way synced.

I sequence on my sequencing laptop and transfer with usb drive to show computer.

Thats what makes no sense. I don’t even know how it even knows it needs updates. I have checked every setting I know of yet it still does.

JR

Odd, it has to be getting something from somewhere to do an update. It's October, you must have an internet ghost that turns it on and back off while you sleep. 🤣

Have you gone into your Network & Internet settings -> Change Adaptor Options -> then click on each icon and click Disable Network Device? Of course if you use ethernet for your show you'll have to leave that one on, but the others get shut down.

4 minutes ago, MichRX7 said:

Odd, it has to be getting something from somewhere to do an update. It's October, you must have an internet ghost that turns it on and back off while you sleep. 🤣

Have you gone into your Network & Internet settings -> Change Adaptor Options -> then click on each icon and click Disable Network Device? Of course if you use ethernet for your show you'll have to leave that one on, but the others get shut down.

Yep, auto connect, WiFi and all is off. Even if I try to click the icon to connect it says no connection.

I didn’t use it since last Christmas, at that time it was only 3 months old. When I fired it up the end of Sept it said over 100 updates.

It also disabled LOR so 4.3.18 no longer worked.

So I logged on and downloaded 4.4.4, turned everything off.

I am not the only one with the exact gaming computer issue. Another member has an identical problem.

JR

If you open a run screen (Win+r) and enter CMD and hit enter it will open a command prompt. In the command prompt type "netsh interface show interface" are any listed as enabled?