Light-O-Rama Forums

Frozen Show

Making our kids happy

We are venturing into this because of our kids! We have been researching for a month about how to make this happen. 

What we want to do: project a clip of the movie Frozen onto our garage doors, and make our lights on the house and in the yard dance to the song. 

We have lights new from last year, around 6000 lights. But we are willing to purchase more, add snowflakes or anything else frozen related, maybe even an inflatable Olaf. 

We need to know what to purchase for one, projector, FM transmitters, and system to make our lights move to the video. Can I sync the lights to our projector, we have the whole video of frozen can I clip out the let it go, can I purchase sequence/video(saw one on eBay) 

if all we can can figure out this year is the lights moving to frozen and can’t get the projector working we are okay with that. We plan to build a new show every year for our kids. Any advice is appreciated :) 

For starters, welcome aboard.  My response is with the assumption you have some basic understanding on how Light-o-Rama works with the research you have done.  If not, please ask away.  This is how I've used it for the past 6-7 years, I'm sure there are plenty of other ways and ideas from other users as well.

As far as equipment-

Projector: I can't recommend one as the one I use for my Halloween Sequences plays on the front window from the inside.  It sits next to my laptop.  The lights can't be controlled from the projector itself.   If you are wanting to play a video through it with the LOR Lighting program it will need to be connected to a computer.  This is my understanding, I don't know that it will play from a Show Director or not, I've never tried.  (Maybe someone else can chime in on this)  The other thing to consider is how to keep it away from any water.

To play a video, you will need some sort of video editing software to cut the part out you want to play.  I've used VirtualDub.org for some of mine.  It's a free software you can download.  When creating the sequence you choose the video as your media source instead of an audio file.  You then create your Preview Design with all your "Props" and sequence them as normal and they will play at the same time as the video clip.

The FM Transmitter doesn't have to be very big as you really only need it to reach in front of your house.  I bought mine off Amazon, its a Sain Sonic AX-05B, I'm pretty sure it's only a 1/2Watt.

Lighting Equipment-

This also depends on the types of lights you plan to use.  If you're using regular light strands that plug in the wall, then a CTB16PC-ReadyToGO is what you'll need.  You can add as many as you need, each one has 16 channels.  If you are using Pixels, then you will need a pixel controller.  They can be controlled directly from the computer, with a USB to RS485 Adapter or from a Show Director off an SD Card. (both from LOR).  http://store.lightorama.com/index.html 

Sequencing-

Sequencing can be as over the top or as simple as you want.  There are many sites that offer sequences you can purchase, and then you adapt to fit your design.  There are also many on the forums here who are willing to share theirs for free as well. (See the Sequences Tab)  For me, it's easier to just make my own as sometimes adapting them to fit my design ends up being just as much work.

Here's an old Behind the Scenes video I made a few years back that may help see how the props work in the yard.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5i2F72IyBY  I'm hoping to try and make a new one this year.  Things change and evolve each year.

Hope this helps a little, sometimes I tend to just ramble without answering specific enough.  Here's a video of my "Frozen" I did 5 years ago.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBHYbIltazo

• Like 1