Light-O-Rama Forums

50 W Floods dying like flies

morden11

Hey all,

Next problem.  I ordered a bunch of the 50W floods (RGB) and set the unit IDs and plugged them into the network.  All was fine on night #1.

Night #2, one of the 8 floods I deployed stopped working

Night #3, a second one of the 8 floods I deployed stopped working

I tried swapping power packs with other floods that 'are' working (no effect)

I swapped out ethernet cords (no effect)

I plugged other floods into the network spot that the malfunctioning ones are at and they worked fine

Is it normal for these things to crap out within days or is there something in the network setup I should watch for to prevent it?

So between this and the pixie controllers having the dip switch issue, it seems I’m the only person here who has problems with the hardware.   That will make getting advice difficult.  

I have three 50w floods which I purchased a few years ago that quit working. My issue was the cat5 connectors so I cut them all off and crimped new ones on, no issues since.

Edited by Mr. P

5 hours ago, morden11 said:

So between this and the pixie controllers having the dip switch issue, it seems I’m the only person here who has problems with the hardware.   That will make getting advice difficult.  

What’s the pixie “dip switch issue”?

I have had since Beta testing about 3 years ago it and my other 30+ pixies are still going strong without problems.

As many as I have I have never had an issue. 

As I always suggest, turn the one dip switch off and set it up manually in the HU.

JR

As with Mr. P, had an issue with cat5 connectors. 

Also, if you put them in standalone mode, then hook them into your network, bad things happen. 

5 minutes ago, morden11 said:

Mega Arch can you tell me what Standalone mode is in regard to the Floods?

Standalone you can load a automation sequence directly into the flood and it will play the sequence when plugged in. There is no need for a computer or director to run the sequence.

• Thanks 1

No I didn't do that Mr. P, at least I don't think I did. 

Every time it rains now my hardware utility loses about half the network and half the network shuts down.  The breakers don't blow so it's not a power issue I don't think.  Just weird.

19 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Standalone you can load a automation sequence directly into the flood and it will play the sequence when plugged in. There is no need for a computer or director to run the sequence.

I was asleep - thanks for always having our six....

6 hours ago, morden11 said:

No I didn't do that Mr. P, at least I don't think I did. 

Every time it rains now my hardware utility loses about half the network and half the network shuts down.  The breakers don't blow so it's not a power issue I don't think.  Just weird.

So if controllers are going down too - are they after the 50watt floods in your daisy chain? If so, still thinking your cat5 connectors. I'd dry them out with a hair dryer. Then zip tie up off the ground, then put a dab of silicone where the cable enters the connectors

Well we had a good little rain last and two of my floods went out. After a closer inspection it looks like the cables have split on the floods so it looks like I will be opening them up today to replace the cables.

4 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Well we had a good little rain last and two of my floods went out. After a closer inspection it looks like the cables have split on the floods so it looks like I will be opening them up today to replace the cables.

These are the cables that came with the floods (LOR supplied)?

How long (years) have these been exposed to the Sun?

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

These are the cables that came with the floods (LOR supplied)?

How long (years) have these been exposed to the Sun?

Yes, the original cables, they are part of my landscape lighting so they have been outside for three or four years now.

They split up where they enter the flood probably because of the bend in the cables. I took them apart this morning and cut about six inches off (bad part) and put them all back together. Everything is working again and they are back in the system now.

• Like 1

I had an issue last year with a flood that traced back to the "waterproof" connector on the flood filling up with water.  Took it apart to dry, then coated sockets / plugs  with automotive dielectric grease (the kind that does not get hard). 

• The topic was locked