Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie16 and Ports are off by a factor of 7

jimbo

Hello!  I need a little help...

I have a PIXIE16 and correctly assigned a Unit ID through the Hardware Utility (HU).  No issues.

In order to test it, I then plugged in a strand of my Pixel strand of bulbs into the dangle that is connected to Port 1 of the Pixie16.

When using the TEST button in HU, I set it for Port1, click the ON 100% button, but nothing happens.... when i try again using the PORTS drop-down menu in HU, I find the strand works perfectly on Port 8. Hmmm.

I test another strand... connecting it to the dangle to port 2 of the Pixie16, and that works on "port 9" in the HU. 

The third port on the Pixie16 works on the HU with "port 10"..... Hmmmmm......

All my Pixie16 ports are off on the HU by a factor of 7  -- which means that dangles 10-16 don't work (as there are only 16ports on the HU).

What have i missed in setting up my PIXIE16?  (I tried to follow all the steps in pixie16 set-up Post located on these boards and seem to be stuck).

Thank you in advance if anyone has any experience with this...

Jim

LOR numbering is in Hex. Your Pixie16 will use 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D, 0E, 0F, 10

Edited by Mr. P

Power? Your High bank is powered. Do you have low bank power (the 2 are not internally tied) That might be tru if the ports were 9-16

Base address for the board.  Unit ID can not overlap with other boards

59 minutes ago, jimbo said:

Hello!  I need a little help...

I have a PIXIE16 and correctly assigned a Unit ID through the Hardware Utility (HU).  No issues.

In order to test it, I then plugged in a strand of my Pixel strand of bulbs into the dangle that is connected to Port 1 of the Pixie16.

When using the TEST button in HU, I set it for Port1, click the ON 100% button, but nothing happens.... when i try again using the PORTS drop-down menu in HU, I find the strand works perfectly on Port 8. Hmmm.

I test another strand... connecting it to the dangle to port 2 of the Pixie16, and that works on "port 9" in the HU. 

The third port on the Pixie16 works on the HU with "port 10"..... Hmmmmm......

All my Pixie16 ports are off on the HU by a factor of 7  -- which means that dangles 10-16 don't work (as there are only 16ports on the HU).

What have i missed in setting up my PIXIE16?  (I tried to follow all the steps in pixie16 set-up Post located on these boards and seem to be stuck).

Thank you in advance if anyone has any experience with this...

Jim

1- did you build the pixie16?

2- what is the max unit IDs in top right corner of HU? For setting up set that very high, like F0. Yes it takes longer but more reliable.

3- your license level (on cell can’t see it)

Check the green connectors and ensure they are in correct ports. 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

3 hours ago, dibblejr said:

1- did you build the pixie16?

2- what is the max unit IDs in top right corner of HU? For setting up set that very high, like F0. Yes it takes longer but more reliable.

3- your license level (on cell can’t see it)

Check the green connectors and ensure they are in correct ports. 

JR

He is using S5, Advanced License JR.   Wouldn't he possibly need a PRO license for these things to work correctly?

31 minutes ago, Orville said:

He is using S5, Advanced License JR.   Wouldn't he possibly need a PRO license for these things to work correctly?

So many new guys now that I thought I put it in there but it was the other guy.

Yes, he will need a pro level license.

Thanks my friend

JR

Thanks everyone!

I have a newly downloaded pro license

The pixie16 was a prebuilt system that I just purchased.

All the dangles coming out from the Pixie16 are correctly labeled to the ports on the circuit board.

I changed the dip switches to all off and Max ID is set at max.

I successfully set the Unit ID using the HU to a unique address following the Hex system such that there is no overlap with my other controllers.

To be sure, the controller works.  The problem is the ports on the Pixie16 board do not align with the ports number in the hardware utility and I can’t get access to ports 10-16.  Strange to me that the ports on the pixie16 and the HU ports are off by 7 (which doesn’t allow me access to ports 10-16)

Still stumped...

thanks!!

Edited by jimbo

3 hours ago, jimbo said:

Thanks everyone!

I have a newly downloaded pro license

The pixie16 was a prebuilt system that I just purchased.

All the dangles coming out from the Pixie16 are correctly labeled to the ports on the circuit board.

I changed the dip switches to all off and Max ID is set at max.

I successfully set the Unit ID using the HU to a unique address following the Hex system such that there is no overlap with my other controllers.

To be sure, the controller works.  The problem is the ports on the Pixie16 board do not align with the ports number in the hardware utility and I can’t get access to ports 10-16.  Strange to me that the ports on the pixie16 and the HU ports are off by 7 (which doesn’t allow me access to ports 10-16)

Still stumped...

thanks!!

“Pre-built” meaning LOR and you purchased it new or someone built it and sold it to you?

If you purchased it from LOR submit a help ticket and get a video to show your problem.

If someone else built it check the green connectors.

Also try a test sequence instead of the HU to test it. HU is best at setting the unit ID.

If you can test one strand and the color order is right that’s about the extent of the HU. Close it and move on to a real sequence.

JR

Are you using the labels on the Dangles to determine Port for your tests?  Might be  a stupid assembly error, follow that cable.

Nother Q.    Does Test of port 2, end up on 8, 3 on 9  ...  + Stuck '8' bit in the controller (1000)

Thank you.

I bought the Pixie16 new directly from LOR.  

I’ll try what you suggest with the help ticket and hopefully it is an easy fix, as I sure can’t figure it out.

Just now, jimbo said:

Thank you.

I bought the Pixie16 new directly from LOR.  

I’ll try what you suggest with the help ticket and hopefully it is an easy fix, as I sure can’t figure it out.

The help ticket will help you return it for a new one. 

Have you done the board reset on it?

I would suggest a simple test sequence instead of HU though. At least if it works you will have a working unit for Halloween if you do a Halloween show.

I wouldn’t tamper with it just because it is under warranty.

LOR is fast to replace items.

JR

Connect the controller to the USB adapter and start the hardware utility.  Status light should go solid after a few seconds.

Press the 'Refresh' button and wait.  The top center will show the unit once the scan is complete.  The first 2 digits are the unit ID hardware utility found the board at.

Is it the unit ID you set, or is it different?

Remember, ports are units.  The first port is the unit you set.  The next port is unit +1, then unit +2, etc.  Don't forget HEX.

I have a Pixie 8 that I purchased recently with the current firmware.  The HU has a similar problem testing the Pixie 8.  In my case, if I test a simple chase from the first screen in the HU it works correctly however, when I use the PIXEL control screen, strange things happen.  I get an offset of 7 pixels after the 50th.  As suggested above, I created a simple sequence to test  the PIXIE and everything tests correctly.  I have been meaning to put in a help ticket with LOR to see if this is a known problem in the current version of HU.

1 hour ago, Rick P said:

I have a Pixie 8 that I purchased recently with the current firmware.  The HU has a similar problem testing the Pixie 8.  In my case, if I test a simple chase from the first screen in the HU it works correctly however, when I use the PIXEL control screen, strange things happen.  I get an offset of 7 pixels after the 50th.  As suggested above, I created a simple sequence to test  the PIXIE and everything tests correctly.  I have been meaning to put in a help ticket with LOR to see if this is a known problem in the current version of HU.

Stay away from the pixel control screen. Various results for pixies.

Best to use a test sequence.

If you haven’t looked at my video find it in the General Hardware section, top writeup.

Always use a test sequence.

JR

On 10/11/2019 at 5:22 PM, dibblejr said:

That was met for everyone who may stumble across this.

Stay away from the item that looks like a piano.

JR

My LOR HU piano works just fine. 🤣😛🤣

20 minutes ago, Orville said:

Ditto

It is just tedious to play with only  a few RGB keys (?? I though Pianos had B & W keys) ??)  showing at a time

Thanks for the responses... for those reading this thread later... my issue of Port #’s being off resolved itself.

Something happens when setting the Pixie16 with the HU... and I found that I needed to unplug everything and shut everything off and then start-up/plug in everything... and it seemed to work fine thereafter.  Peculiar indeed.

5 hours ago, Orville said:

None of my pixies liked it so I ga e up.

its just to simple to create a sequence and be done with the HU.

JR

4 hours ago, dibblejr said:

None of my pixies liked it so I ga e up.

its just to simple to create a sequence and be done with the HU.

JR

I actually use the Piano to see what values will make what color I want to use.   Works great for that as I can see the color shifts in real time by moving the slider up and down each RGB scale.  I finally figured out how to make a really decent looking orange with the LOR bullet node pixels I have.  100% red and 6% green, other pixels may be different.  The orange I had come up with in the SE looks more toward a yellow than an orange {at least to me}.

So I find the HU piano very useful for different colors as opposed to trying to get a specific color in the SE{other than R,G or B}, which I seemed to never get colors quite right other than the common RGB colors.   So for finding the right color combination of percentages for each color, that piano works great for me.