Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 16 controller DIY help

metallus2000

I bought the Pixie 16 controller and looking for advice on what power supply(s?) to buy to run the board. Also, will the standard controller boxes work to mount? Do I need a mounting kit?

Look at my writeup/ video in General Hardware.

Also I can text you links to build videos

For the pixie 16 you will want a larger box. It will be tight and better to not chance breaking a jack when closing the lid.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Depending on how you mount it here is a list off the top Of my head since it will be a while before I am anywhere close I my computers.

You can mount the pixie to the top of the PSU. I have that covered in this series of videos. Here is one link and from there you can find the others and more help as well.

It is a pixie4 however the only diff when building will be the size of the controller pcb and the wattage of the psu.

For a pixie16 I do not recommend a psu under 500 watts. Unless you will only use a very small number of pixels per port.

Or you can get a larger enclosure and mount the psu next to the controller pcb.

If installing on the pa you should use nylon stand offs and if mounting seperate you can use brass or metal stand offs. The reason for the nylon if installing on top of psu is if for some reason the stand off breaks it will not create a short circuit.

If you have questionS after watching and looking through my videos pm me. 

Disregard the name on the video, I made that for another member here and decided it was useful for others.

Edited by dibblejr

For a Pixie 16 you can use 2 @ 350+ W.  One for each bank  and ONLY tie the - together. (A bank is good for up to 30A ,  360W @ 12V)

Extra power is better than not enough 💡

32 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

For a Pixie 16 you can use 2 @ 350+ W.  One for each bank  and ONLY tie the - together. (A bank is good for up to 30A ,  360W @ 12V)

Thanks...to both actually. I have 12 years experience with the older controllers. This is my first dive into RGB.

2 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Depending on how you mount it here is a list off the top Of my head since it will be a while before I am anywhere close I my computers.

You can mount the pixie to the top of the PSU. I have that covered in this series of videos. Here is one link and from there you can find the others and more help as well.

It is a pixie4 however the only diff when building will be the size of the controller pcb and the wattage of the psu.

For a pixie16 I do not recommend a psu under 500 watts. Unless you will only use a very small number of pixels per port.

Or you can get a larger enclosure and mount the psu next to the controller pcb.

If installing on the pa you should use nylon stand offs and if mounting seperate you can use brass or metal stand offs. The reason for the nylon if installing on top of psu is if for some reason the stand off breaks it will not create a short circuit.

If you have questionS after watching and looking through my videos pm me. 

Disregard the name on the video, I made that for another member here and decided it was useful for others.

Link?

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

Could you sent me a photo, or show it here of your Pixie 16 set-up, if you have one? Also recommendation of the 350 w power supply?

Thanks in advance 🙂

22 minutes ago, metallus2000 said:

Could you sent me a photo, or show it here of your Pixie 16 set-up, if you have one? Also recommendation of the 350 w power supply?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Here is the first pixie controller I built for Beta testing for LOR.

Dual 350w 12v PSU’s

I have since found a great source for 750w psu’s so no longer use the multiple psu build.

JR

IMG_7511_zpsfdlzf2wv.jpg

Edited by dibblejr

11 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Here is the first pixie controller I built for Beta testing for LOR.

Dual 350w 12v PSU’s

I have since found a great source for 750w psu’s so no longer use the multiple psu build.

JR

Was going to ask where, but they are all over Amazon...

Nice, thanks. Where di you get the 750's?

Edited by metallus2000

14 hours ago, metallus2000 said:

Thanks in advance 🙂

I don't have a Pixie 16, but I have 2@  CMB 24's that have similar BANKing (for my Tree and yard location).   I happen to use 2@ Holiday Coro Weather resistant  12V 400W supplies mounted on the back of a Post mounted CG1500 case.  (I assemble  and power for the place used. All are in CG1500. Some have 2 supplies, some share between boards. 2 CMB 24, CMB 24 + pixie 4,  CMB24 + Pixie8, CMB24, Pixie4 )

I really need to get a Photo site since this forum doesn't allow much.