Light-O-Rama Forums

New year, new HDPE Polyethylene Tubing post

Sctiger

I realize this topic has been discussed at great length in the past, I was just wondering if anyone has found any other suppliers of the 2" OD tubing besides McMaster-Carr? I contacted them and got a quote for $10 shipping so I ordered a 10' foot section just to test it out and see if I liked it. To my surprise, the shipping actually was going to be $65 for the one piece of tubing. (I knew it seemed too good to be true!). If no other suppliers are found, I'm guessing a road trip is in order. 

Last year when I was building my arches I was looking into that HDPE as well. I saw the cost and couldn't find a local supplier, either. I also thought that 2" was overkill. I ended up using standard white 10' PVC PEX from the big box store. I think it was 1" so it is easy to bend. It looks great as far as I'm concerned.  I used a little acetone to remove the printing on the PVC PEX but if you position it properly, you probably don't even need to do that. The nice thing is it's easy to find all the connections and any glue you might need locally. If you are still in the "test it out" stage, I'd suggest trying out regular PVC PEX.

Edited by tlogan

1 hour ago, tlogan said:

Last year when I was building my arches I was looking into that HDPE as well. I saw the cost and couldn't find a local supplier, either. I also thought that 2" was overkill. I ended up using standard white 10' PVC from the big box store. I think it was 1" so it is easy to bend. It looks great as far as I'm concerned.  I used a little acetone to remove the printing on the PVC but if you position it properly, you probably don't even need to do that. The nice thing is it's easy to find all the connections and any glue you might need locally. If you are still in the "test it out" stage, I'd suggest trying out regular PVC.

Interesting. I've only heard of people using the PEX, not PVC. Do you have any issues with the PVC being too dim?

Shoot...that's what I get for trying to answer while I'm at work....I take that back. It WAS PEX. But still, it worked great for me. I'll edit the post above.

9 minutes ago, tlogan said:

Shoot...that's what I get for trying to answer while I'm at work....I take that back. It WAS PEX. But still, it worked great for me. I'll edit the post above.

Haha..no worries! I'm at work too, albeit I'm on the other end of the busy spectrum. lol

Don't even bother trying PVC if you are going to illuminate it from the inside.  Two issues.  First is that it attenuates the light FAR more than PEX.  Second is that it induces a substantial color shift.  Full bright white became a dull yellow for example. 

And yes, I see that the original post about PVC was corrected, but wanted to provide the information for people who may want / need to know.

After taking way too long to convert mm to inches and comparing numbers, it looks like shipping from Australia and the price of McMaster would be a wash. 

Edited by Sctiger

Found 20' joints of 1/2" PEX at home depot for under $8 ea...cut them to 10' lengths and shoved pixel strips into them. Made usable arches. FWIW.

• The topic was locked