Light-O-Rama Forums

Am I doing it right?

Sijaan

Hi, 

As you may know, I'm new to all of this light-o-rama light controllers and software.

I just want to round some corners from where to start and where to end:
1. I made a preview of my tree (A 20 meters tree).
2. I put all the props I want. My lights are traditional lights.

My first questions is: As i'm using two controllers (16 channels each), how can I tell my controllers which channels each of them get? Should I be using the UNIT ID coloumn?
Second Question: How can I make two props do the same always? How can I merge their channels?

Third Question: As I haven't tested it on my controller.. How can I tell the controller to run my show? Should I using my PC? or a the sd card is enough? If so, which file should Iput on the SD card?

I know so many questions.. but I need the answeres badly as there is no hardware setup tutorials (If there is any I would appreciate it)

Which 16 channel controllers? AC or RGB?

If AC and you want two props doing the identical thing I would save channels and just connect them together.

That lets you use the other controller for more lights.

It sounds as if you use S5, if so someone can help with the layout since I do not use S5.

JR

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Yes. Save controllers if you want props to do same just connect the lights per channel together

JR

I'm asking for this because I have a long string of light which has a lot of bulbs and cannot sit on 1 channel. So I will be putting it in two seperate channels but in the software  them to act as one.
So I put the first one on channel 01 and the second on 02, How can I connet them in my software?

When leds I had many many strands on one channel.

You may be suprised

What you talking in length and qty.

Copt the sequence to each channel if you think you need to seperate

JR

16 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

A 20 meter tree?!?!? That is one big tree. 

I missed that. LOL but I still think - based on my 60’ tall house and all the less c8’s and 9’s that he may not need 2 controllers leaving one extra available.

I may be wrong depending on lights and numbers.

JR

I have 150 Strings when every single one has 10 meters.  Based on your experience, 1 controller is enough? I'm not taking into account the 'Star' on the top + small trees near the big one.
Here is a photo of the tree:
117488397_24058696_561314394221901_4859812257546156702_n(1).jpg.6f4ecb8013d261ca9737196ed31841d5.jpg

2 hours ago, Sijaan said:

I have 150 Strings when every single one has 10 meters.  Based on your experience, 1 controller is enough? I'm not taking into account the 'Star' on the top + small trees near the big one.
Here is a photo of the tree:

European power (230V) AC controller ?

Each bank can handle 15A (3450 W) peaks,  2760w continuous

You have 2 banks, 16 loads (8 per bank) each output is limited to 8A (with factory sized heat sinks)

If those are LEDs, then the answer is almost always YES . Just add up the amps per final string.

(In the USA, some strings allow as many as 35 end to end: before the 5A fuse in the plug goes) If you put 2 plugs into each LOR AC channel, you could have about 50 strings before the channel overloaded.

DO NOTE: you can't exceed 15A a bank at any time. 2 fully loaded channels can add up to 15A.

• Like 1

sijann

If you are ordering: get 2 controllers. The Shipping (duty?) is the killer costs.   You will always find something to use those ports

Be sure to specify 230V model (I bet the LOR folk would know from the shipping address)

Also: Get Red USB, You don't really need it, but it never hurts to have the speed ability for later when you add those pixels  😜

On 10/5/2019 at 2:18 AM, TheDucks said:

sijann

If you are ordering: get 2 controllers. The Shipping (duty?) is the killer costs.   You will always find something to use those ports

Be sure to specify 230V model (I bet the LOR folk would know from the shipping address)

Also: Get Red USB, You don't really need it, but it never hurts to have the speed ability for later when you add those pixels  😜

On 10/4/2019 at 10:36 PM, TheDucks said:

European power (230V) AC controller ?

Each bank can handle 15A (3450 W) peaks,  2760w continuous

You have 2 banks, 16 loads (8 per bank) each output is limited to 8A (with factory sized heat sinks)

If those are LEDs, then the answer is almost always YES . Just add up the amps per final string.

(In the USA, some strings allow as many as 35 end to end: before the 5A fuse in the plug goes) If you put 2 plugs into each LOR AC channel, you could have about 50 strings before the channel overloaded.

DO NOTE: you can't exceed 15A a bank at any time. 2 fully loaded channels can add up to 15A.

Thank you guys.

Im going to order the second controller.

What is a red USB?

1 hour ago, Sijaan said:

Thank you guys.

Im going to order the second controller.

What is a red USB?

the RED USB (dongle) is the High Speed (HS) version (needed for Pixels). Starter kits all ship the Black, slow speed (56-115K) one, which is fine for dumb nodes and HU tests, but can't do the 500K speed that Pixels need.  You can run the Red one slower just fine, but pushing  any of the others faster than 115K is real iffy at best