Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone giving lessons out there ?

grouptcl

I am a newbie (2019) and trying to get started for Halloween.  Most props are now physically built.  I am looking for someone to give me a few lessons on sequencing to music, creating music channels, syncing etc.  I am a quick study but would love a strong starting point.  Anyone out there that can help ?

Please advise

13 minutes ago, lanopie said:

If I were you I would take a close look at all the tutorials that LOR has on their website, a lot of good videos.

http://www1.lightorama.com/tutorials/

These videos are S3, I imagine that there are new options/tools available now with S5 no ?

46 minutes ago, lanopie said:

If I were you I would take a close look at all the tutorials that LOR has on their website, a lot of good videos.

http://www1.lightorama.com/tutorials/

I believe if there are any videos of S5 they are not out yet. Or created by the pioneers that are/ were beta testers.

JR

33 minutes ago, grouptcl said:

These videos are S3, I imagine that there are new options/tools available now with S5 no ?

I would have helped until I saw S5.

I would be creating a thread in the Sequence Sharing threads asking if anyone with S5 is willing to help you get a start with a donor sequence or five.

JR

On 9/24/2019 at 4:23 AM, grouptcl said:

I am a newbie (2019) and trying to get started for Halloween.  Most props are now physically built.  I am looking for someone to give me a few lessons on sequencing to music, creating music channels, syncing etc.  I am a quick study but would love a strong starting point.  Anyone out there that can help ?

Please advise

There about 15 parts of superstar sequncer tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjB_wO1dMn8

And it shows all basic tools, that you need to make a musical sequences.

3 hours ago, Valentin said:

There about 15 parts of superstar sequncer tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjB_wO1dMn8

3 hours ago, Valentin said:

True Enough, however I must point out that Superstar is NOT part of the regular pro version and is a complete different beast requiring much more money.  I am presuming here that not all of you spent the extra thousands of dollars to be able to simply make a musical sequence or animation.The regular sequencer has tools and I would hope should be sufficient to do the job, or am I wrong in that assumption ?

4 hours ago, sticks4legs said:

Hit up youtube, there are lots. jstorms has lots of good ones

Do you happen to have a link ?  I dont seem to be able to find any by Jstorms ?

10 minutes ago, grouptcl said:

True Enough, however I must point out that Superstar is NOT part of the regular pro version and is a complete different beast requiring much more money.  I am presuming here that not all of you spent the extra thousands of dollars to be able to simply make a musical sequence or animation.The regular sequencer has tools and I would hope should be sufficient to do the job, or am I wrong in that assumption ?

The max license for Superstar is $500, not cheap, but NOT thousands of dollars. That said many people are attracted to the so called Instant sequence and the presumed instant gratification.

A low channel count license starts at $29.95

http://store.lightorama.com/suse.html

30 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

The max license for Superstar is $500, not cheap, but NOT thousands of dollars. That said many people are attracted to the so called Instant sequence and the presumed instant gratification.

A low channel count license starts at $29.95

http://store.lightorama.com/suse.html

True I may have let my emotions take over for a second there lol.

however I am still confused and I me be steering off subject also...

number one I feel i should be able to do a musical sequence with the LOR sequencer Pro version.  The tools are supposed to be there and again surely someone uses them.  Or do all of you have the superstar sequencer ??

And then maybe someone can explain those liscencing options ?  100 rgb(300) channels really ?  It seems that if you only have one string of lights the supersequencer might not be for you ?

the props I built have 500 pixels each meaning 150.00 licence.  When I originally talked to lightorama they steered me away from supersenquencer stating it would not be required

so my confusion remains.  Do none of you create musical sequence with the regular sequencer ?

is there a tool to create the basic tracks- channels ?  Do you all use mp3 or you have a midi conversion tool ?  What are the options available to me ?

Your input is appreciated

Most of us use the Sequence Editor (SE) for  S4 and below and The Sequencer (I believe that’s what it’s called in S5).

However a large percent of us use both.

If you have built 3 - 500 pixel props that doesn’t mean you need to sequence all 3 of them in SS at the same time.

LOR was correct , you do not need SS. In S4 there is Pixel Editor (PE) and S5 has a built in watered down version of SS (or that’s what others have told me)

You can simply buy a license that will accommodate your largest prop and then sequence one at a time. That is what I do. I have a 60ccr license.

That is more than enough for me. I only sequence one prop at a time any way.

As for music- since I share all of my sequences I could not afford the average price of Amazon or others.

I get my MP3s from MP3million . Com for pennies.

100 RGB = 300 channels since there are 100 of each color 3x100 = 300

SS is sold by CCRs not RGB’s

JR

Many of us use the Sequencer to entirely create our shows. I have never used Superstar, and have only recently began to use  the motion effects sparingly. I like the accuracy of timing of conventional sequencing.

You don't say exactly how many channels you are trying to set up, but if only a small number, let's say less than 100, you only need to do basic sequencing, and don't really need the "advanced tools" that are really aimed at very large channel counts, think thousands of pixels.

I have somthing under 3000 pixels or 9000 channels, a small number compared to many, but all 50 odd songs  have been sequenced in S4 until this year and it is all my own work.

The link in an earlier post to the LOR videos, does have some S5 material about half way down, and a lot of the S4 stuff is still applicable to S5.

There is also a "getting started" section in the user guide. Hint, it's the first topic.

http://www1.lightorama.com/help/index.html?sequencing.htm

2 hours ago, grouptcl said:

Do you happen to have a link ?  I dont seem to be able to find any by Jstorms ?

Search for John Storms and or listen tour lights 

in youtube

I believe that will get you some tutorials

JR

47 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Many of us use the Sequencer to entirely create our shows. I have never used Superstar, and have only recently began to use  the motion effects sparingly. I like the accuracy of timing of conventional sequencing.

You don't say exactly how many channels you are trying to set up, but if only a small number, let's say less than 100, you only need to do basic sequencing, and don't really need the "advanced tools" that are really aimed at very large channel counts, think thousands of pixels.

I have somthing under 3000 pixels or 9000 channels, a small number compared to many, but all 50 odd songs  have been sequenced in S4 until this year and it is all my own work.

The link in an earlier post to the LOR videos, does have some S5 material about half way down, and a lot of the S4 stuff is still applicable to S5.

There is also a "getting started" section in the user guide. Hint, it's the first topic.

http://www1.lightorama.com/help/index.html?sequencing.htm

I am looking at + - 2500 pixels, 8 floods, 8 ribbons and some regular lights..  
Trying random stuff for my first year such as an 8 foot spiderweb, small alien ship, large snake (arches) , P5 Panels (text announcements and visual morphs) and witch cauldron.  If I am lucky I might have time for some custom singing faces ?? Basically trying out all kinds of stuff to better coordinate next year. I guess I am trying to run a bit fast for a first year toddler lol.

But again you guys keep saying that this hobby brings insanity,I thinks it’s ringing my front door.....

4 minutes ago, grouptcl said:

But again you guys keep saying that this hobby brings insanity,I thinks it’s ringing my front door.....

Just so long as it rings in time to the lights............

29 minutes ago, grouptcl said:

I am looking at + - 2500 pixels, 8 floods, 8 ribbons and some regular lights..  
Trying random stuff for my first year such as an 8 foot spiderweb, small alien ship, large snake (arches) , P5 Panels (text announcements and visual morphs) and witch cauldron.  If I am lucky I might have time for some custom singing faces ?? Basically trying out all kinds of stuff to better coordinate next year. I guess I am trying to run a bit fast for a first year toddler lol.

Crawl, walk and then run.

If you try to much at one time you will get frustrated and before you know it you’ll be selling all of your stuff.

This. Lose to Halloween if you don’t have it figured out it’s prob to late.

May want to set the expectations a little lower.

JR

Here’s the deal with superstar.  Once you start using it you’ll never sequence with anything else.  It’s easier, faster and just more fun than the sequencer.  Especially with pixels.  

With s4 and superstar you still have to use the sequencer.  You export the superstar sequence into the LOR sequencer.  Then the show runs these sequences.  Never the superstar sequence file  

Because of this, there are many ways to get around having to purchase a license for a large yard.  The limitation of the license is when you export the superstar sequence.  So if I have a 5 ccr license then I would only be allowed to export around 500 channels.  It’s actually a touch more as there are special channels on the ccr and the superstar developer added a few more channels spare.  So it could be around 525 or more channels.  So this is how you get more for less.  You sequence for only 500 channels at a time. You just have to create another sequence with 500 different channels.  Or maybe you have props doing the same thing and then you can share those channels once you export.

If if you only are sequencing s5 I can’t help.  But if you are sequencing s4 I can share some songs and help.  I will share both the superstar and LOR sequencer versions of the song so you can play and learn  

The beauty of superstar is you can play with it anytime you want.  Sequence away.  But you won’t be able to export.  But you will be able to try before you buy. 

It is late.  Sequencing is very time consuming.  Setting up channels and props in your sequencer is a never ending battle.  But my sequences can give you some idea on how you can do it.  

These forums have lots of info on how to do these things.  The info is here but you have to search.  It’s time consuming. So that’s also an option if you want to take the time .

My yard has pixels, floods, standard rgb, lasers (dumb they on or off only), regular lights, singing faces, store bought props that are basically on or off.  So a good mix   

Let me know if you want a sequence or 2 to play with.  Name a song your working on or thinking about and I will see if I can match it.  

Good luck,

sax

23 hours ago, sax said:

Here’s the deal with superstar.  Once you start using it you’ll never sequence with anything else.  It’s easier, faster and just more fun than the sequencer.  Especially with pixels.  

With s4 and superstar you still have to use the sequencer.  You export the superstar sequence into the LOR sequencer.  Then the show runs these sequences.  Never the superstar sequence file  

Because of this, there are many ways to get around having to purchase a license for a large yard.  The limitation of the license is when you export the superstar sequence.  So if I have a 5 ccr license then I would only be allowed to export around 500 channels.  It’s actually a touch more as there are special channels on the ccr and the superstar developer added a few more channels spare.  So it could be around 525 or more channels.  So this is how you get more for less.  You sequence for only 500 channels at a time. You just have to create another sequence with 500 different channels.  Or maybe you have props doing the same thing and then you can share those channels once you export.

If if you only are sequencing s5 I can’t help.  But if you are sequencing s4 I can share some songs and help.  I will share both the superstar and LOR sequencer versions of the song so you can play and learn  

The beauty of superstar is you can play with it anytime you want.  Sequence away.  But you won’t be able to export.  But you will be able to try before you buy. 

It is late.  Sequencing is very time consuming.  Setting up channels and props in your sequencer is a never ending battle.  But my sequences can give you some idea on how you can do it.  

These forums have lots of info on how to do these things.  The info is here but you have to search.  It’s time consuming. So that’s also an option if you want to take the time .

My yard has pixels, floods, standard rgb, lasers (dumb they on or off only), regular lights, singing faces, store bought props that are basically on or off.  So a good mix   

Let me know if you want a sequence or 2 to play with.  Name a song your working on or thinking about and I will see if I can match it.  

Good luck,

sax

I was looking at Thriller and bad Moon rising if you have those by any chance ?
faxplus@hotmail.com