Light-O-Rama Forums

No data received from superstar

Sijaan

Hi,

Im newbie on LOR softwares and trying my best.

As I know you this Auto Sequencing feature, Which I purchased the Pro for.

Im trying to Insert a superstar effect on a motion row, But it gives the following error:

"No data receoved from the superstar"

any Idea why?

What is supposed to happen is this sequence of events:

Select "Insert SuperStar Effects" on a Motion Effects row.

SuperStar opens.

You do whatever sequencing changes you want to do in SuperStar.

Exit SuperStar.

After SuperStar closes, you will get a popup asking if you want to save the changes.  Answer yes.

The Motion Effects row will fill in.

If you don't make any changes in SuperStar or if you answer no, you will get the "No data received from SuperStar" message.

Or as Mr. P said.

8 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Have you purchased a Superstar license? Superstar is an add-on and requires you to purchase a separate license.

I have the Pro License + the Superstar Upgrade.
I'm adding a  motion effects row with a tree 360 tiers. 
I've figured out that when I put more than 5 tiers, and do what you said above, SuperStar doesnt open at all, and gives me the "No data received message".
When I put 5 tiers for the 360 tree prop, It works just fine.

6 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

What is supposed to happen is this sequence of events:

Select "Insert SuperStar Effects" on a Motion Effects row.

SuperStar opens.

You do whatever sequencing changes you want to do in SuperStar.

Exit SuperStar.

After SuperStar closes, you will get a popup asking if you want to save the changes.  Answer yes.

The Motion Effects row will fill in.

If you don't make any changes in SuperStar or if you answer no, you will get the "No data received from SuperStar" message.

Or as Mr. P said.

As I said above, When putting 7 tiers in the 360 tree prop, and I try to "Insert a superstar effects", SuperStar does not open at all!

1 minute ago, k6ccc said:

What level of SuperStar license do you have, and how many channels are in your 7 tier tree?

I have no idea which level of SuperStar I have. I purchased a license that costed me 29.90$
I attached the Prop settings. It's 7 channels right?

image.thumb.png.6829e2738d228a698e19579898465beb.png

There it is in the top left of the SS screenshot. You have the 100 Pixels so 2 CCR level. The license probably isn't big enough for what you are trying to do if you are using more then 100 pixels.

2 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Open your LOR software and it should have the license levels at the very top left.

Actually only partially true.  Opening Sequencer will tell you what level of LOR license you have, but not SuperStar.  Open SuperStar and it will tell you the SuperStar license level.

OK, I see the screen capture, you have what used to be called a 2 CCR level license.  Now shown as the number of pixels.  That can also be expressed as 300 channels.

As for your 7 tier tree, confirm that it is just 7 lights or strings of dumb lights (for example standard 120V Christmas light strings).  That should not be an issue opening in SuperStar as shown.

3 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Actually only partially true.  Opening Sequencer will tell you what level of LOR license you have, but not SuperStar.  Open SuperStar and it will tell you the SuperStar license level.

OK, I see the screen capture, you have what used to be called a 2 CCR level license.  Now shown as the number of pixels.  That can also be expressed as 300 channels.

As for your 7 tier tree, confirm that it is just 7 lights or strings of dumb lights (for example standard 120V Christmas light strings).  That should not be an issue opening in SuperStar as shown.

Okay as I'm new I have no Idea why pixels is an issue here as i'm using only led lights (regular christmas lights).
How to confirm the its dumb lights? where is that?

5 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

There it is in the top left of the SS screenshot. You have the 100 Pixels so 2 CCR level. The license probably isn't big enough for what you are trying to do if you are using more then 100 pixels.

4 hours ago, Sijaan said:

Okay as I'm new I have no Idea why pixels is an issue here as i'm using only led lights (regular christmas lights).
How to confirm the its dumb lights? where is that?

You have "Traditional" selected which IMO means standard Incan or LED lights. I only use SS for RGB and S4 so im not sure how they calculate the number of lighs in a strand but if its the same as RGB youll use that qty up quick.

JR

Even if your superstar license level does not support the number of channels or pixels you are using, superstar will still open and you can do your sequencing and you can play the sequencing to the superstar screen and when you shut down superstar the effects get saved to the Sequencer but you will not be able to play them in the sequencer.

So your license level is not what is causing the problems. I believe what is happening is that when you do "insert superstar effect" the sequencer is launching superstar and superstar crashes and so focus gets returned to the sequencer and the sequencer puts up the message "no data received from superstar."

I am not sure why superstar is crashing. Can you attach your .loredit file to your next message and then I will see if I can duplicate the crash. The file will end with .loredit and should be at:

c:/ (your lightorama folder) / Sequences

4 hours ago, dibblejr said:

You have "Traditional" selected which IMO means standard Incan or LED lights. I only use SS for RGB and S4 so im not sure how they calculate the number of lighs in a strand but if its the same as RGB youll use that qty up quick.

JR

4 hours ago, BrianBruderer said:

Even if your superstar license level does not support the number of channels or pixels you are using, superstar will still open and you can do your sequencing and you can play the sequencing to the superstar screen and when you shut down superstar the effects get saved to the Sequencer but you will not be able to play them in the sequencer.

So your license level is not what is causing the problems. I believe what is happening is that when you do "insert superstar effect" the sequencer is launching superstar and superstar crashes and so focus gets returned to the sequencer and the sequencer puts up the message "no data received from superstar."

I am not sure why superstar is crashing. Can you attach your .loredit file to your next message and then I will see if I can duplicate the crash. The file will end with .loredit and should be at:

c:/ (your lightorama folder) / Sequences

I will attach the file when I get home.

But I managed to do something that worked, I lowered the horiztnal and vertical density to 5 in the tree 360 prop, and the tiers to 7, and it worked.

I still have many questions though.. As I have normal LED lights, why does all of this density stuff matter? I only want it to turn the lights on and off whenever I want to make the show (Im new to all of this). Or it doesnt work like this?

Does even the supetstar work for my simple show?

Superstar should easily handle what you are trying to do. I want to figure out what the problem is. I will do some experimenting on my own using a Preview that looks like yours and see if I can duplicate the problem.

25 minutes ago, BrianBruderer said:

Superstar should easily handle what you are trying to do. I want to figure out what the problem is. I will do some experimenting on my own using a Preview that looks like yours and see if I can duplicate the problem.

I attached the file.. I dont know if it has the preview + the props

Way Down We Go.loredit

Thanks for reporting this bug!

I duplicated the crash using a 7 tier 360 degree tree of traditional lights like what you have been using. I have fixed the bug so that superstar will handle it just fine. The fix will be in the next release. I will let you know when the next release happens.