Light-O-Rama Forums

Motion Effect Spread Across Props

truelight

I have 6 smart stars. For some reason the effects started seeing all 6 stars as 1 Prop and spreading the effect over them. Which is great for some things but now I'm unable to put the stars into a group and just apply a single effect that plays on each star.

How can I put them into a group but have them be there own star. Otherwise I'm stuck copy and pasting 6 times.

Thanks!

I will put my 2 cents in, until someone with more experience adds their comments. I also ran into the same issue. I wanted the whole house to "twinkle". I defined a group and then created the twinkle effect on the group. It did not look right, so I had to go back and expand the group and apply the twinkle effect to each of the members to get what I wanted. I thought about the whole concept of groups and different effects and it does make sense how it works.For example if you want a wave effect to apply to a whole group that is different than a wave effect applied individually to each member of a group. Things like a color wash work the same on an entire group or each prop individually. So it boils down to the particular effect. 

Knowing this I found a good friend in the "paste special" command. Program the area you want on one member of the group and then do a copy of it. Then select the next prop in the group and its starting cell and right click to get "paste special". As an option under "repeat across all channels vertically" you select the button all the way to the end of. The drop down menu will let you select to the end of the group. This has saved me a ton of time. 

• Like 1

Steve summed this up quite nicely. I'll just add my 2 cents also 😜

On 9/22/2019 at 6:13 PM, truelight said:

I have 6 smart stars. For some reason the effects started seeing all 6 stars as 1 Prop and spreading the effect over them.

Remember a Group is exactly that, a Group of props that effects can be applied to.

On 9/22/2019 at 6:13 PM, truelight said:

Which is great for some things but now I'm unable to put the stars into a group and just apply a single effect that plays on each star.

If you put individual stars into a group, then they are no longer individual stars. They are a group, and the effects for the Group will be different from the effect on individual stars. Make sense?

If you want to put effects on individual stars, then thats how you have to do it.

Having said all this, there are ways to get creative with groups and individual props (stars)

See the video below.

Hope this helps.

Alan...

The video ends abruptly because  I hit the stop record button instead of stop effects. oops... 😫

Edited by default
  • Like 2