Light-O-Rama Forums

Visualizer and Universes

jwblazek

Adding a lot of new hardware and pixels this year, requiring me to renumber some of my old E31 fixture addresses.

Do I need to go to each of my fixtures and reset the universes there and then re-merge intensity files in SS and then export to SE? I do not see a means to change universes once the SE has been merged with the SS intensities.

Is there an easier way to do all this?

Are you exporting from SuperStar as intensity files or in legacy mode?

Keep in mind that there really is little or no need to change universes - other than to keep us humans happy.  In other words, there is no problem with having half a prop on universes 31 - 35 and the other half at universes 175 - 180.  Note, that some controllers may not like that, but the ones I use would have no issues with that.

In general, yes, you will want to update the universes in SuperStar (or visualizer if you are using Visualizer mode in SuperStar).  Then re-export.

Using intensity files. Other than keeping me happy, can I have say universe 15 on one IP and 15 on another IP, two different controllers?

You can if you are using multicast, although as a general rule of thumb, I don't like to use multicast.  In LOR Network Preferences, you can set each universe to either Multicast or Unicast, however I suspect that most pixels controllers have to be one or the other.

7 hours ago, k6ccc said:

You can if you are using multicast, although as a general rule of thumb, I don't like to use multicast.  In LOR Network Preferences, you can set each universe to either Multicast or Unicast, however I suspect that most pixels controllers have to be one or the other.

Why do so many people not like using multicast? I run over 11,000 pixels in my display using 5 Falcon controllers, all set on multicast with never a single issue. I'm just curious. Thanks

18 minutes ago, ebrown1972 said:

Why do so many people not like using multicast? I run over 11,000 pixels in my display using 5 Falcon controllers, all set on multicast with never a single issue. I'm just curious. Thanks

I don't really know, insurance maybe? I will be running 27 Falcon controllers this year and all mine are set to unicast. I guess it's just peace of mind that I want to send the signal to that one controller and only have that one controller respond. Where are the networking gurus?

4 hours ago, ebrown1972 said:

As much as anything, it's networking no, no.  Very inefficient way to distribute data because all traffic gets routed to all devices.  Generally these days, that is not much of a problem UNLESS you are using WiFi for some part of your linking.  That also depends on what you are using for WiFi and if it is shared with something else.  You likely don't want your show to crap out because your teenager is watching YouTube or downloading the latest multi-gigabyte movie via Torrent.  Or your next door neighbor lands on your WiFi channel and wipes you out.

Each universe takes about a quarter megabit per second of data.  I am running about 130 universes this year, so 30 to 35 Mbps of data. Although the latest WiFi standards will handle that just fine, older standards wont.  Neither will a 10 Mbps ethernet link (if you have any of that left).

And yes, I am old enough to remember worrying about reducing bytes that needed to be sent - having to run over 110 or 300 baud links will do that to you..