Light-O-Rama Forums

2007 Great Pumpkin Patch

tsrail

Well, FINALLY, I got around to posting the videos of LAST year's 2007 show. Our production is titled "The Great Pumpkin Patch"

In '07, we increased from 16 channels to 48, and in addition to 06' coroplast "Great Pumpkin", we added a "MegaPumpkin", our first hack at a Halloween version of a MegaTree. The MegaPumpkin was about 8' tall, 12 ropelight channels around, plus a Green topper.

The YouTube videos are here (quality is not great - It was shot in "widescreen", and YouTube seems to stretch it to 4:3 - does anyone know how to fix this?)

2007 Great Pumpkin Patch Part 1:

2007 Great Pumpkin Patch Part 2:

2006 Great Pumpkin Patch:

This year's show (2008) is going up now. A few changes planned, and planning to add VIDEO! (Perhaps some DMX - we'll see how insane I feel....) I'll try to get videos up in less than 11 months. ;)

I'll post some still photos below...

Most excellent! I was planning a wire frame Mega Pumpkin but went with a large spider web with 12 sections of lights. I like the fact you did WIW. I never thought of it as a Halloween song, but it worked nicely.

tsrail wrote:

The YouTube videos are here (quality is not great - It was shot in "widescreen", and YouTube seems to stretch it to 4:3 - does anyone know how to fix this?)

Put your videos on http://www.vimeo.com/ instead. It works a lot better for widescreen and he quality is a lot better as well and if you have a web site it makes for better web presentation. You also have a lot of options to change text styles and colors of the overlay text on the video.

Great job in the display looks great. I really like the wire pumpkin.

That looks great! I'm not a big decorator for Halloween, but looking at how nice yours looks may get me to change my mind next year. :) Again, nice job!

Jeffrey wrote:

That looks great! I'm not a big decorator for Halloween, but looking at how nice yours looks may get me to change my mind next year. :) Again, nice job!

Thanks. I wasn't either - but then I had the idea of "Pumpkins". Having 4 small kids - I didn't want to go "Haunted House" or overtly creepy (even though some really cool effects can be used there).

The "Pumpkin Patch" theme let's me do a Fall Festival/Autumn theme that even the toddlers in the neighborhood can enjoy.

We're adding a bunch more "daytime" decorations this year. (More real pumpkins, fall foliage, etc.) to make it a daytime and nighttime event.

Looks GREAT! You have done a wonderful job with your display. I was wondering how you did the mega pumpkin and thought of the piping before seeing you daytime pictures. Now I want to add that to my display. Nice idea.

Thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the inspiration on the mega-pumpkin. I ripped it off! My version is an 8 channel wireframe about 9 1/2 feet tall. Just got it moved to the front yard Sunday afternoon, and still need to hook up the controller and add the other props and decorations. Please take it as a compliment that I thought so much of yours that I made a version.

08Pumpkin.jpg