Light-O-Rama Forums

my laptop needs to be replaced

Bob Rogers

I run my 3 controllers from a laptop but the screen has gotten broken.  I need to move the software and all files to another machine.  I have been working with LOR Helpdesk for several hours and very little success. I need someone in the Central Florida area that can make this happen.

1 hour ago, Bob Rogers said:

I run my 3 controllers from a laptop but the screen has gotten broken.  I need to move the software and all files to another machine.  I have been working with LOR Helpdesk for several hours and very little success. I need someone in the Central Florida area that can make this happen.

Can you plug an external monitor into the laptop to view what's on it?   And do you have a 2nd monitor you can use for the laptop on a temporary basis?

My wife's laptops screen got cracked and broken, making it difficult to see parts of the screen, I just plugged a 2nd  monitor into the laptops external monitor {VGA} port and used an SD Card Writer/Reader to transfer my LOR Files I had backed up on it.  If it would have been my main show system, I still would have been able to do this using either this method or an external USB HD.  Just transfer the files from the laptop to the external USB HD just as they are from the laptop drive.  You'll still need a 2nd monitor no matter what so you can see what you're doing.

These are the only things I know that would make it the easiest way to get your LOR files off the laptop since the screen is apparently broken in such a way you can't see or read anything on it.

I use a Sata to usb cable and remove the hard drive. Then just connect the old hard drive to a new computer via usb port and use it like an external hard drive to transfer the files. The cable is only about $7 on Amazon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr. P said:

I use a Sata to usb cable and remove the hard drive. Then just connect the old hard drive to a new computer via usb port and use it like an external hard drive to transfer the files. The cable is only about $7 on Amazon.

Depends on how old the OPs laptop is, my wifes has an IDE Drive, so a SATA cable is useless there, if IDE drives you need an external housing with power supply, USB and IDE Cable and some other stuff to make it work, easiest way on that for me would have been to buy an empty IDE external housing with power supply and all the cables needed to make it work.   At the time, I couldn't do that, so went with my suggestions above.

That's why I posted my info the way I did because my wifes laptop is an OLDER unit and a USB external HD would work or using the SD Card Writer/Reader for her particular laptop was the only reliable ways I could go at the time when her screen got broken.

9 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

They also make IDE to USB adapters for a little more.

Most often USB cables only carry 5VDC, whereas most IDE drives require 12VDC to operate.  I tried one of those USB to IDE cables and it wouldn't recognize the IDE Drive from my wife's laptop because of not enough voltage on the cable.  I checked the cable with a Multimeter and it only had 5VDC coming out of it.

1 hour ago, Orville said:

Depends on how old the OPs laptop is, my wifes has an IDE Drive, so a SATA cable is useless there, if IDE drives you need an external housing with power supply, USB and IDE Cable and some other stuff to make it work, easiest way on that for me would have been to buy an empty IDE external housing with power supply and all the cables needed to make it work.   At the time, I couldn't do that, so went with my suggestions above.

That's why I posted my info the way I did because my wifes laptop is an OLDER unit and a USB external HD would work or using the SD Card Writer/Reader for her particular laptop was the only reliable ways I could go at the time when her screen got broken.

I think I still have a couple of IDE unused (laptop) drive caddies around here somewhere. It probably would cost as much to ship those as buy a universal USB clone kit (has both IDE can a SATA connection along with a external Power brick, so almost any drive (not SCSI) can be attached, just no pretty case.

• The topic was locked