Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 2 issues

Mike Anderson

Anyone have real trouble with a pixie2?  I have had to replace two strings of lights and had a third die tonight. Wouldn't be so bad if these were not mounted on my roofline. The one that died tonight worked two days ago.  Starting to get a little frustrated with them and would hate to take them down.

Thanks

Mike

If you are having pixel strings die that regularly, I would be looking at voltage.  What is the voltage rating for the pixels and what is the power supply voltage?

I believe they are all 12v.  Bought the set from LOR and they have warranty replaced the 2 so far.  Ive opened a help desk ticket looking for a solution

Edited by Mike Anderson

Mike,

Are the replacement strings failing also? or just the orginals sent with the pixies? Just curious.

As a side note, yes bad strings suck and it does happen, but as you know LOR is really good at replacing them. They have replaced a few of mine over the years. We all wish it didn't happen, but at least this is a company that stands up for thier product.

One thing to remember in this hobby, "Test Early- Test Often.

Alan...

I believe its been the originals so far.  This one concerns me because i hooked up a different string and got the same result. So I'm not sure it its the string, the controller or something else.

• 2 weeks later...

So they sent me a third string and they worked for one day.  Now just the first three pixels light up.  Verified 12v controller and 12 volt strings.   Any idea what else could be wrong??

1 hour ago, Mike Anderson said:

So they sent me a third string and they worked for one day.  Now just the first three pixels light up.  Verified 12v controller and 12 volt strings.   Any idea what else could be wrong??

If that many strings are failing then there must be something wrong with the controller. I would open a ticket and have the controller sent back to LOR so they can take a look at it.

Measure the voltage on your power supply.  The controller will take a substantially wide voltage range, but the pixels will not.

7 hours ago, Mike Anderson said:

Im not that savvy with electronics.  I opened a ticket. I dont have a Spare controller lying around to test it

You need a DC Volt Meter (Multi-meter) that can measure 12V (20V scale typically). The voltage on the string needs to stay between 10.8 - 13.2

These are fairly inexpensive.(basic models)  and great for us Lighters.  AC (120) for checking Outlets. DC for Power supplies and batteries. Ohms/Diode/continuity (beeper) for broken wires/bad connections.

Any excursion above, can  damage the string (As K6CCC said:  The Pixie is more forgiving than the string) electronics.

• 4 weeks later...

Disconnect your controller from the power supply. Turn on the power supply and measure the out put voltage across the positive and negative wires, make sure it is in the 12v dc range. If in range, connect back up to controller, turn back on and measure output V at the string connector between positive and negative, again should be in the 12V dc range.

Yes, we have had multiple issues.  Just had 8 more strings sent out to us today.  It is always the same box that we are having the issue with 83 out of 100 on port 1 and 23 out of 100 on port 2.  This is the 2nd time, same box.  I have a feeling it's the box and not necessarily the lights.

I got a whole new setup and got it installed today.  New controller and 4 new strings of lights.  So far its working.  I also eliminated the extension cables that i was using.  Not sure if that was part if the problem too

• The topic was locked