Light-O-Rama Forums

Power Supply screws

Mr. P

Does anyone know the size of the screws used to mount this style of PS? The original screws that came with the mounting kits were plastic/nylon and they are starting to fail and break off. I am wanting to get steel screws but need the size. I have narrowed it down to a M3 or M4 type pan screw.

PS.JPG.af51d158eca6babedaa2ebf7954bd680.JPG

Edited by Mr. P

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Does anyone know the size of the screws used to mount this style of PS? The original screws that came with the mounting kits were plastic/nylon and they are starting to fail and break off. I am wanting to get steel screws but need the size. I have narrowed it down to a M3 or M4 type pan screw.

PS.JPG.af51d158eca6babedaa2ebf7954bd680.JPG

Best bet is before they all break, take one out and take it to a local hardware store, Ace, Home Depot, Lowes and they should be able to match up a metal equivalent for you.   That's what I do when I get nylon screws for mounting things like this, as I won't use nylon screws because of the very issue you're having.

Good Luck!

2nd the Hardware store for identifying for the casual user.  I bought my Metric own thread  gauge a while back. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006NFUK6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very handy as there are also various pitches to consider for larger sizes

Be absolutely positive your screws do not penetrate into (or puncture, if the threaded insert has a bottom) the case. Voltages inside are lethal (or the magic smoke may just escape).

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

I was planning on going in but I just wanted to see if anyone knew offhand.

Google the Manufactures data sheet. That will have all the details. as tit may vary (even the locations vary) between brand or models.

2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Google the Manufactures data sheet. That will have all the details. as tit may vary (even the locations vary) between brand or models.

I have probably 10 different brands of the same type PS and they all use the same screws.

5-6mm will be enough. And u need a spacer for better wires fixing. Original screw has sometihng like square nut.

Edited by Valentin

A little more info.

I purchased the mounting kits from HC a few years ago and back then they came with the plastic/nylon mounting screws for the PS and they have all started to fail and break off. Recently they quit using the nylon screws and now ship the steel screws with their mounting kits. I contacted them this afternoon explaining the situation and asking for the screw size they ship now so I could purchase locally. They are now shipping me all replacement steel screws free of charge, 40 each. Good deal.

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

A little more info.

I purchased the mounting kits from HC a few years ago and back then they came with the plastic/nylon mounting screws for the PS and they have all started to fail and break off. Recently they quit using the nylon screws and now ship the steel screws with their mounting kits. I contacted them this afternoon explaining the situation and asking for the screw size they ship now so I could purchase locally. They are now shipping me all replacement steel screws free of charge, 40 each. Good deal.

That is good news when a vendor makes things good, even well after the basic warrenty peiod.  Hats off to HC, they are following in the LOR customer service tradition 👍

3 hours ago, Mr. P said:

A little more info.

Glad to hear they made a change for a better screw that's metal, and even better news that they are sending you replacements of them for your power supplies at no cost to you.

I have purchased 2 from Ray and one that looks exactly the same from Amazon and while they look exactly the same, the screw sizes were different.  Sorry, forget what sizes they were.

• The topic was locked