Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR II Software

Guest guest

tsmith35 wrote:

Will shows created under v1 be usable under v2, or will some means of import/export be available?

Yes! Once you open them with the LORII software, they will be converted for you.

Once this happens, you will not able to use that sequence with the old version.

Yes! Once you open them with the LORII software, they will be converted for you. Once this happens, you will not able to use that sequence with the old version.

Okay, thanks for the information. I guess this also means to keep a backup of any v1 sequences just in case. I wonder if it's too late to request that LOR II make a backup copy of any sequences prior to converting, just in case. Probably not necessary if I'm careful. ;)

I was just thinking of things to add to LORII and how about adding hot buttons to certain activities. Meaning you press the letter (P) and it Plays your show (whatever is set in your play range), and if you press (S) it will stop the current playing of the song/animation. I think this will help me dramatically as I can use my mouse to follow the time stamp and hit the stop button to stop the song and leave the mouse where I want the next event.

Sorry I didn't recommend this earlier, but it just hit me this morning.

Keep up the good work Dan, can't wait for the updates!!

I was curious if anybody knows exactly what is going to be added in LOR II. Everyone keeps talking about more effects, but no one knows what. I don't know if Dan is far enough along to elaborate on any additional features or not but was just curious in planning my show this year what I might be able to do new. Is pretty much everybody else planning around LOR I right now or is anybody waiting on LOR II to design their shows?

I had been waiting for LOR II, but have begun preliminary work with the existing software. I am very musically challenged and was anticipating the BeatFinder would be a godsend in getting song timings correct. However, I think I'll move ahead with 1/10 second increments.

Although it would be handy to know what's coming so effects could be planned, I think Dan is being prudent in not announcing features which might not ultimately be included and also so as not to tip his hand to the competition.

• 1 month later...

LightORama wrote:

As we have always promised, LOR II software will be more expensive (but a free upgrade to existing user)... All existing LOR compatible controllers (even the ones sold during the sale) will not work with LOR II without a (free) LOR supplied upgrade.

Being new to LOR, I go back and read all the old posts periodically; it's amazing how much more makes sense to me with each reading. But for the somewhat computer illiterate, in general, how do you do an upgrade on the boards? Is it a program that is installed on the computer and then transmitted to the boards through the ethernet cable or do you have to physically change components on the boards? I know this isn't required until LOR II is released, but was just curious when I was reading this thread.

Oh yeah, where is "lightorama john," haven't seen any postings from him in quite some time. Inquiring minds want to know.

Denny

LOR uses a hardware program called firmware. Firmware is a version of Linux, I believe, and it is used as hardware code for hardware with a dedicated function. Newer cards (like the deluxe models) will simply have a firmware upgrade. All you is download the file from the Internet (lightorama.com), launch the hardware console, browse to the file, select the unit to upgrade to, and click "download." The older units will have to have a physical hardware upgrade. I believe Dan has said that it will be a DIY or you can send it into LOR to have them upgrade it.

I am not sure what happened to "LightORama John."

EDIT: I fixed some spelling and grammar errors.

Version of Linux? I dont have my LOR board yet but I would assume that it has some kind of micro on there (atmel maybe) and the firmware would be assembly code specific to that processor. Not really linux related (unless I'm missing something)

Brad Stevens wrote:

LOR uses a hardware program called firmware. Firmware is a version of Linux, I believe, and it is used as hardware code for hardware with a dedicated function. Newer cards (like the deluxe models) will simply have a firmware upgrade. All you is download the file from the Internet (lightorama.com), launch the hardware console, browse to the file, select the unit to upgrade to, and click "download." The older units will have to have a physical hardware upgrade. I believe Dan has said that it will be a DIY or you can send it into LOR to have them upgrade it.

I am not sure what happened to "LightORama John."

EDIT: I fixed some spelling and grammar errors.

Brad, your view of firmware is incorrect.

Brad Stevens wrote

Firmware is simply software program code that is built into the physical hardware. All computers have some firmware stored in a kind of memory that does not require power. It's the program that the CPU uses to boot the machine up. It does not need a disk drive or anything else to run, the CPU simply knows that at power up, start executing instructions from memory at a fixed address that the Boot PROM responds to.

Often this firmware is burned into a chip that needs to be replaced to upgrade or alter the firmware program (a ROM or PROM chip). Nowdays, the program is burned into a chip that can be re-burned (called an EEPROM chip) with a new version of the firmware program. That is what the newer LOR cards use - updateable permanent memory which the hardware console updates.

Linux has nothing to do with it. (I was writing boot prom firmware when Linus Torvald was in diapers - maybe before that).

Ken Mays

tsmith35 wrote:

Will shows created under v1 be usable under v2, or will some means of import/export be available?
You will be able to use V1 sequences and shows in V2. LOR II will automatically translate V1 to V2. However there is no way to go from V2 to V1.

Hi.

I am as newbie as they come, but I have been watching this board for about a month now. I am a little confused by some of the posts. I am planning on setting up LOR this Winter as a suprise for my wife, who always complains that I don't do many holiday lights. I have been playing with the demo, and have gotten a little addicted.

I have been waiting for the LOR II to come out before I made my first purchases, but it sounds like some people think it is best to order the first version and the do all the upgrade work themselves. What is the benefit to this? Thanks for your help.

Buy V1 now. It’s much cheaper than V2 will be and all owners of V1 will get a free upgrade to V2.

Buy the starter kit. If you try to order it without at least one controller, the web site will say you can’t do it, but you can! LOR will just hold the adapter and cable until you order the first controller.

Ralph

richmondchristmas wrote:

Buy V1 now. It’s much cheaper than V2 will be and all owners of V1 will get a free upgrade to V2.

Buy the starter kit. If you try to order it without at least one controller, the web site will say you can’t do it, but you can! LOR will just hold the adapter and cable until you order the first controller.

Ralph

Yes, you want to buy now, as the price for LORII will be higher that LOR 1.5. You get the free upgrade to LORII.

Also, honestly, there is still going to be work involved in sequencing the songs. You want to get a start on that now if at all possible. The software will upgrade the sequence to a LORII format when it's released. By starting now, you will save yourself frustration later.