Light-O-Rama Forums

Power supply unit

Pioerpaolo

grazxie valentino, that's exactly what I did. Tomorrow I will try to share the two V- of the power supplies, I will do better tightening and not flying ....... I will keep you informed, meanwhile, thanks

On 9/8/2019 at 4:27 PM, Valentin said:

yes, GND should be shared.
What's voltage of the strings? 5V or 12V? If 5V, they should be powered each 50 pixels. If string of 100 pixels: power it from start and frome the end of string.

So let’s say I’m using your 2.1 example for my 12V pixels. Multiple strings with data connected along the way. Rather than run a 16 foot wire between each V- on the power supply, could I also connect the V- between  each strip and “T in” the V- from each power supply?

1 hour ago, DocBrown86 said:

So let’s say I’m using your 2.1 example for my 12V pixels. Multiple strings with data connected along the way. Rather than run a 16 foot wire between each V- on the power supply, could I also connect the V- between  each strip and “T in” the V- from each power supply?

I think I see what you are doing. You are using many small (low amp) PS  located at the inject point.

I think most that do Power inject run from a big centralized PSU with numerous fused outputs.

The purpose of tying the negatives together is to reduce noise on the power in relation to the Data input (node 1)

1 minute ago, TheDucks said:

I think I see what you are doing. You are using many small (low amp) PS  located at the inject point.

I think most that do Power inject run from a big centralized PSU with numerous fused outputs.

The purpose of tying the negatives together is to reduce noise on the power in relation to the Data input (node 1)

Yes. I’m putting small waterproof supplies I got off of Amazon at each stripe starting point.

1 minute ago, DocBrown86 said:

Yes. I’m putting small waterproof supplies I got off of Amazon at each stripe starting point.

Good luck, you might want to stock up on some ferrite cores (loop both + and - thru the doughnut a couple of turns (similar to what LOR   does with the USB cable). That should kill some of the hash that escapes smaller units

So now I'm questioning everything I'm doing... Are these smaller supplies going to cause me a problem?

If I just end up running cord from my main supply (also powering the Pixcon16), will I need to somehow ling the Grounds still?

1 hour ago, DocBrown86 said:

If I just end up running cord from my main supply (also powering the Pixcon16), will I need to somehow ling the Grounds still?

When you do power injection, you need to inject both power and ground.

8 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

When you do power injection, you need to inject both power and ground.

For sure. But I guess what I’m getting at is in the diagrams above, they show the grounds tied together. If using one power supply but with multiple runs (my power supply has 4 of each wire coming out of it), are those tied together in the unit, or should I also just connect the grounds and data (while injecting ground at each strip as well) along the whole path?

I feel like I’m thinking too hard on this, but I’d hate to screw it up...

8 minutes ago, DocBrown86 said:

For sure. But I guess what I’m getting at is in the diagrams above, they show the grounds tied together. If using one power supply but with multiple runs (my power supply has 4 of each wire coming out of it), are those tied together in the unit, or should I also just connect the grounds and data (while injecting ground at each strip as well) along the whole path?

I feel like I’m thinking too hard on this, but I’d hate to screw it up...

Strings: All grounds go thru. All Data Go Thru. +V (12) stopp just befor th inject point for the next.

All PS ground is interconnected (tapped at the Inject point. + goes to the string (but NOT the previous)  Preferred: all PS also have direct lines (not tiny wire) back to the main (the one that also feeds the controller BANK to reduce switching noise symptoms.

It is only wrong IF the smoke escapes.

It is just bad if it does not work.  KISS usually works best ;) , but is not the only way.

• The topic was locked