Light-O-Rama Forums

C9 Strobe randomness?

James Hill

I have 50 mini zenon strobes on 4 channels and want to know how to get them to fire randomly. When first fired they all come on - after a few flashes then they become random.

How are you pros getting them to be 'twinkling' ?

I have heard of priming them for a second or two at a lower %, but have also heard this shortens the life of the strobe.

Will be adding 50 LED strobes this year. Can I/ Should I mix these two together?

Thanks in advance.

James Hill

Thunder Bay, ON, Canada

Here's my partial solution  I have several channels dedicated to the strobes - even though all will be used at the same time.  When I turn them on, I do so at slightly different times.  That way the the strobes come on in smaller groups.  Each group comes on together, but each group comes on at different times, so it at least partially hides the non-randomness.  I intersperse the groups on the eves (where I am using them).

6 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Here's my partial solution  I have several channels dedicated to the strobes - even though all will be used at the same time.  When I turn them on, I do so at slightly different times.  That way the the strobes come on in smaller groups.  Each group comes on together, but each group comes on at different times, so it at least partially hides the non-randomness.  I intersperse the groups on the eves (where I am using them).

I do the same, even with my mini strobes.

22 hours ago, k6ccc said:

yep +2 - but only on some songs. Sometimes it adds to the "pop" when most flash at once. 

23 hours ago, James Hill said:

I have heard of priming them for a second or two at a lower %, but have also heard this shortens the life of the strobe.

NEVER! Full power only on strobes!

23 hours ago, James Hill said:

Will be adding 50 LED strobes this year. Can I/ Should I mix these two together?

Absolutely.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, James Hill said:

Have read a while back but realized I never thanked you...Thank You All.

Gen 3 controllers, you can use the HU to set the (built in) dimming curve to On/Off. Do It! It will help keep the smoke in if you mindlessly trip the Test button 😳

2 hours ago, grouptcl said:

what are strobes used for ?  how is it different ?

Really fast flashy flashy? Like lightning effects. Or to blind everyone standing in the yard, then they can walk around doing the robot.

• Haha 1

On 10/16/2019 at 10:52 AM, grouptcl said:

At the 1:35 mark - you can see a combination of C-9 stobes and mini-strobe strands. I love the minis - doubling that count for this year....

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:52 AM, grouptcl said:

I will say this, it's hard to see how effective they are in just about any video, as with everything else, they look better in person.  I use both C9 and minis.  The minis are on the house, and the C9's are around the yard.  You can really see them at the very end of the video-

23 hours ago, Little_b said:

I will say this, it's hard to see how effective they are in just about any video, as with everything else, they look better in person.  I use both C9 and minis.  The minis are on the house, and the C9's are around the yard.  You can really see them at the very end of the video....

Nice cliff hanger - "You can really see them at the very end of the video". HOWEVER - Your sequencing was so nice to watch that I forgot I was watching for your strobes. Most RGB shows get really blinky flashy and you can tell the time just wasn't put in on the song to make it "their song". That's one reason that other than  floodlights, I've stayed away from RGB. Well seeing a classy use of everything makes me rethink the future a bit. Congrats!

"it's hard to see how effective they are in just about any video, as with everything else, they look better in person". 100% correct statement. The C-9 strobes and the mini-strobe strands mix well together - depending how you utilize them in your show.

Back to the question on randomness - James - some have said to start your 4 channels at 1/2 second differences. I personally think it's not needed. We are our own worst critic most of the time. You are one of the few that would even notice. The audience just see's a "pop" followed by random flashing. That's fine with me.