Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie pixel type config

Valentin

Hi!

I'm using the pixe4 with custom pixels and they work incorrect with the controller.

The pixie manual says: "There are also some “(Reserved IC x), …” slots. These are so additional RGB ICs can be added without requiring a software release."

And there is in the pixel type select list "reserved IC A" "reserved IC B" etc.

So, is there are any way to add a custom pixel type config?

4 hours ago, Valentin said:

Hi!

I'm using the pixe4 with custom pixels and they work incorrect with the controller.

The pixie manual says: "There are also some “(Reserved IC x), …” slots. These are so additional RGB ICs can be added without requiring a software release."

And there is in the pixel type select list "reserved IC A" "reserved IC B" etc.

So, is there are any way to add a custom pixel type config?

What are they doing incorrectly?

if you mean colors not matching with what you want ho to HU and under Pixie config (bottom center button) clicking and select the color order there.

Watch or read my tutorial stickies above. All pixies 2/4/8/16 will be the same.

Also if you do not understand how the pixies assign the unit IDs that could be one of your problems.

However there is not enough information to figure out exactly what your issue is.

JR

I have a pixie4 controller and some pixel:

pixels1 - LOR pixels 2811, it work fine. In test mode (using "chase sequence") it lights red, green, blue, ON at 100%, Fade 0% to 100%, it works fine with effects in sequencer.

Pixels2 - some other pixels, that work well with K-1000C controller (it's a simple effects controller), but with pixie4 (pixel type ws2811 in config) work bad: in test mode it lights red, green, blue, but with very fast blinking of each pixel. When i change the pixel type (config - Cosmic Color/Pixie config - pixel type) to TMI1804, or TMI1809 it works fine (chasing RGB, sequencing), but when i use custom color, for example orange, it works bad - some pixels are red, some light green, etc. U can see it in the video: pixels2 video

So, because of pixels2 have a chip gs8208, it could have some little bit other setting than 2811, so i want to try to change something make it work correct. I've tried to change different settings of pixie, but without any effect.

Also i've noticed, that some strings (of 50 pixels) with the same pixels work fine (with pixie4 and ws2811 config), but some - work as pixels2 (maybe they have the gs8208 chip, that was touched by other hands in the factory...).

And also i've noticed: connecting "bad" string to the "healthy" string connected to the controller = both strings work fine.

But anyway i want to try to know how to make the additional RGB IC's in config.

pixie.png

Edited by Valentin
addition

With the pixie controllers all strings need to be the same mfg or same type to work the same. 

There is no individual controlling of the color order per port.

If you use Mia matches strings there is no telling what you might end up with-

such in your case.

I think I’m reading your reply correctly.

BYW- the “reserves so .... can be added without a firmware update” 

I am thinking that is at the developer level. I could be totally wrong on that though. Perhaps DevMike can chime in on that statement.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Yes, i'm trying to connect the same string to the pixie controller, but it works improper, so i wish to know how to add additional IC profile to the config. The manual says, that it's possible.

You cannot add a pixel IC profile. These are coded into the Pixie. I have implemented the GS8208 (which is also the WS2813) in the next release of the Pixie firmware. If you submit a trouble ticket and send it to me, I can send you interim firmware and you can see if it works. I don't have a GS8208 string to test, but the waveform looks correct on the scope. It looks like you want firmware for a Pixie4, put that in the ticket.

18 minutes ago, LightORamaJohn said:

You cannot add a pixel IC profile. These are coded into the Pixie. I have implemented the GS8208 (which is also the WS2813) in the next release of the Pixie firmware. If you submit a trouble ticket and send it to me, I can send you interim firmware and you can see if it works. I don't have a GS8208 string to test, but the waveform looks correct on the scope. It looks like you want firmware for a Pixie4, put that in the ticket.

Thanks for your reply.

Devmike has already adviced me to open a ticket. So i've opened a ticket and ask in it to assign it to you.

The ticket # is: 234882

Also i've attached datasheet and some additional tech info.

Edited by Valentin

• The topic was locked