Light-O-Rama Forums

RS485HS Red Adapters

dibblejr

i have spoken via phone, text and face to face about setting up your pixel controllers.

The one item that most people over look when purchasing the new controllers are the RS485HS Red adapter. These will solve a lot of your issues as we have discussed.

As far as that goes any controllers.

Since the sale has been extended - thanks Dan, I would recommend that if you do not have one or two of these that you jump on them during the sale.

They are backwards compatible so no need to worry about the old black RS485 black adapters.

As mentioned above anyone running the pixie series or any LOR pixel controllers should have 1 for ea h network and at least 1 for a spare.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

Totally agree, I have five of the red adapters and I don't even run pixels or even high speed on the RS485 network. However, I do have them just in case, you never know when you may need them.

Edited by Mr. P

• 1 month later...

Does the RS485HS  (Red Adapter) only have one jack for output?  Does anyone have a photo of the output side?  I use the RS485B (black booster) and send data in two directions.  I only have two usb ports on my show mini laptop.  One has an actidongle plugged into it for dmx stuff.  Sometimes I think LOR website is behind in showing current tech photos or data sheets thoroughly. 

7 minutes ago, Crimson Lane Lights Etown said:

Does the RS485HS  (Red Adapter) only have one jack for output?  Does anyone have a photo of the output side?  

Yes, only one output. It looks just like the Black one, only is red in color and is Hi-Speed.

8 minutes ago, Crimson Lane Lights Etown said:

Does the RS485HS  (Red Adapter) only have one jack for output?  Does anyone have a photo of the output side?  I use the RS485B (black booster) and send data in two directions.  I only have two usb ports on my show mini laptop.  One has an actidongle plugged into it for dmx stuff.

If you need more  USB ports on your laptop, add a USB Hub.

usb%20hub.jpg

I use 2 hubs from the laptop. I have 2 hubs and run a total of 8 networks, Works good.  I found it wise to also use the same port on the pc for each hub, ie mark the usb port on the pc and the usb hub and use the same USB port each time.

I think some people are using powered USB Hubs,  mine are not, and have worked fine for years.

laptop%20usb.jpg

Alan...

35 minutes ago, default said:

Yes, only one output. It looks just like the Black one, only is red in color and is Hi-Speed.

If you need more  USB ports on your laptop, add a USB Hub.

usb%20hub.jpg

I use 2 hubs from the laptop. I have 2 hubs and run a total of 8 networks, Works good.  I found it wise to also use the same port on the pc for each hub, ie mark the usb port on the pc and the usb hub and use the same USB port each time.

I think some people are using powered USB Hubs,  mine are not, and have worked fine for years.

laptop%20usb.jpg

Alan...

A USB2 port has a 500Ma limit. That includes everything that plugs into it. In your case the Hub. And while it may be a USB3 hub. It cant supply power that is not available to it. Thus the reason for powered Hubs (do check. I've see some cheap ones with a really low Amp (next to worthless) adapter. Under powered also leads to erratic performance, even if the source port does not just shut down.

Plugging into the same port can't hurt, but if you install the driver before attaching the dongle, it becomes port agnostic. (I do label the adapters as to which LOR network they serve)

Yeah, I knew there was a reason that there was a reason for powered hubs and IIRC LOR recommends them. The picture shown is not what I have. I must have been lucky with my hubs (2 different manf.) I haven't had an issue (that I know of) 🤨

Alan...

• 2 weeks later...

I have an older Mini laptop operating Windows 7 for the show.  Any newer powered USB hub would be backwords compatible?

Additionally, If say, all three HS adapters are plugged into the hub, would that be considered one Com port assignment? 

Also, if I assign an AUX network preference, I would need to change every sequence reflect that AUX network designation?

Thank you

Any USB hub should be backwards compatible. Get a self  powered one.

Each adaptor will consume one com port, and each adaptor will be assigned to it's own network. 

You will need to change your network preferences in S4, and change your sequence config, export it, then import into each sequence.

• Like 1

I use Blackwebb 7 port USB hubs. Available at Walmart. Never a problem.

I use 2 and I have one for a spare but fortunately never had to use it.

Ensure to write the comm port and network on the adapter, makes it easier during setup 

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 5:12 PM, PhilMassey said:

Any USB hub should be backwards compatible. Get a self  powered one.

Each adaptor will consume one com port, and each adaptor will be assigned to it's own network. 

You will need to change your network preferences in S4, and change your sequence config, export it, then import into each sequence.

I have now consumed all three USB ports on my show laptop.  When I am ready to use the ELL's to send the signal across the street, I will install the hub (adding AUXB network with another HS adapter or I could use one ELL plugged into the HS adapter transmitting and two ELL's in the field as receivers).  In the meantime, I was able to upgrade the RS485B to HS red adapter, and add another HS red adapter for my second CAt5 port.  Additionally, I spent two days updating the AUXA network with the controllers that will use AUXA in each sequence, (AUXA was assigned to HS adapter com7), exporting channel configuration, and importing to each sequence.  Now I have LOR network at 500 & enhanced, AUXA network at 500 & enhanced, and the DMX network for moving heads, or whatever.  Thanks for helping me think through the process.

3 hours ago, Crimson Lane Lights Etown said:

I have now consumed all three USB ports on my show laptop.  When I am ready to use the ELL's to send the signal across the street, I will install the hub (adding AUXB network with another HS adapter or I could use one ELL plugged into the HS adapter transmitting and two ELL's in the field as receivers).  In the meantime, I was able to upgrade the RS485B to HS red adapter, and add another HS red adapter for my second CAt5 port.  Additionally, I spent two days updating the AUXA network with the controllers that will use AUXA in each sequence, (AUXA was assigned to HS adapter com7), exporting channel configuration, and importing to each sequence.  Now I have LOR network at 500 & enhanced, AUXA network at 500 & enhanced, and the DMX network for moving heads, or whatever.  Thanks for helping me think through the process.

ELL (V2) is a Black speed family device: The user can select one of the following network speeds: 19.2Kbps, 57.6Kbps or 115.2Kbps.

That means that No Pixies on that network are allowed (usable)

ELLs also can't handle Enhanced networking.

Set up a network that will ONLY have the stuff across the street so you are not tying up the fairly slow data speed of the ELL with traffic that does not need to be there.

9 hours ago, Crimson Lane Lights Etown said:

Two days is a long time to setup 2 networks. You'll get faster at it though,

Glad it worked.

Best of luck.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

• The topic was locked