Light-O-Rama Forums

4.4.4 will not install

MikeA

What kind of computer, what Operating System, and do you have admin rights on that computer?

8 hours ago, MikeA said:

I have saved it and tried to install it but it won't even run.  I downloaded it from 2 different places.

Any ideas?

That is why I am on 4.3,18. 

My computers no matter how old/ new do not like anything over. Not sure of what is going on but never had time to figure it out.

JR

17 hours ago, k6ccc said:

What kind of computer, what Operating System, and do you have admin rights on that computer?

Dell inspiron 1525 with Windows Vista, yes I have admin rights.

13 hours ago, dibblejr said:

That is why I am on 4.3,18. 

My computers no matter how old/ new do not like anything over. Not sure of what is going on but never had time to figure it out.

JR

I got 4.3.18 to work so I'll just go with that.

8 minutes ago, MikeA said:

I got 4.3.18 to work so I'll just go with that.

Glad you got it to work. Every time I attempted to update I would spend precious sequencing hours or days trying to figure iut the problem. Then spending time reverting to what was working.

Now I go back to my age tested saying "if its not broke don't fix it". Of course when updating hardware sometimes as in your case you have to update to get the software to recognize the hardware.

If I recall your other thread you have a pixie16. If you need help setting it up refer to my long writeup stickies at the top of the General Hardware section. You can skip down to the video but if you get stuck go back to the steps I provide.

BTW- my fastest laptop runs my show -Allienware gaming (Dell). My sequencing laptop Dell Gaming and my old Inspiron laptop never could use anything over 4.3.18 not sure if there is something with the Dell Inspiron series since all 3 are but the fact they mine will not work well with any updates newer.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

8 hours ago, MikeA said:

Dell inspiron 1525 with Windows Vista, yes I have admin rights.

Suggestion (not necessarily LOR related):  Dump Vista.  It was not one of Microsoft's better Operating Systems to start with and end of support was seven years ago.  That means no updates. security patches, new hardware support, etc.  Time to make it go away.  Same issue with Windows XP as well.  Even Windows 7 is close to the end of Extended Support.

On 8/23/2019 at 6:43 PM, k6ccc said:

Suggestion (not necessarily LOR related):  Dump Vista.  It was not one of Microsoft's better Operating Systems to start with and end of support was seven years ago.  That means no updates. security patches, new hardware support, etc.  Time to make it go away.  Same issue with Windows XP as well.  Even Windows 7 is close to the end of Extended Support.

I know but this computer is not online and has been running my lights for 10 years.

Just throwing out something from my recent install of the latest version of both S4 and S5. I bought a refurb computer last year to run my lights (an older Lenovo running Win10, plenty of memory, a CoreDuo chip and most important, 8 USB ports) and had no issues whatsoever running one of the earlier 4.4.X versions on the on board graphics. This year I upgraded my license and wanted to move to the latest S5 (or at least the latest S4). I got a message the computer needs to support OpenGL 1.5 or later and it currently only supports OpenGL1.0, so I could install, but I couldn't run the software. The ONLY way I could fix it (due to the Lenovo being out support, so no software updates are available and this is a manufacturer specific update) was to add a graphics card that DOES support the required OpenGL.

Fortunately, I have a MicroCenter close enough that a quick run and $43 graphics card fixed it (which is about half the price I paid for the computer in the first place!).

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone is running an older computer using the onboard graphics and wants to install the latest version and had this message pop up after install an starting the software.  This OpenGL requirement must have come in the last one or two  releases.